Stow-on-the-Wold VA hospital

Shortly after the outbreak of war in 1914, Mark Fenwick (a wealthy businessman and accomplished amateur gardener) offered the use of Abbotswood, his own private house near Upper Swell, as a hospital. It included the use of his own kitchen staff, the dairy and vegetable produce, and "one of the most beautiful gardens in Gloucestershire" (Red Cross yearbook, 1915). The house stands on a hill overlooking the River Dikler, and its beautiful garden is still maintained today and occasionally open to the public on Charity Days.

The hospital was moved at the beginning of 1916 to Kitebrook.

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
STOW-ON-THE-WOLD/KITEBROOK V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 58


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—February 27th 1915

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to March 26th 1919

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

70

1037

1

1915
35.72

36

 

 

 

 

1916
44.65

43

 

 

 

 

1917
39.04

40

 

 

 

 

1918
38.11

46

OFFICERS

Commandant: Mrs Prichard, M.B.E.

Medical Officer: Dr M. Style

Lady Superintendent: Miss O'Donoghue, A.R.R.C.

Trained Nurse: Sister Fakes

Masseuse: Miss Drummond

Hon. Treasurer: Mr Barnsley

NOTE BY THE COMMANDANT

The hospital was got ready for patients in 48 hours in October 1914, but the rush after the fall of Antwerp slackening it was not required until February 1915. It was first at Abbotswood, lent by Mr Fenwick, but was moved in the spring of 1916 to Kitebrook, lent by Mr Freer.

The majority of the original staff continued to work at Kitebrook, a good many of the original workers still being there when the hospital closed, though several most excellent workers in the new neighbourhood joined us when we went to Kitebrook.

The number of beds was increased in April 1918 to 70, which were all full at the time of the Armistice.

The hospital was closed on December 20th 1918, most of the patients going on Christmas leave.

 

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919