St. Martin's VA hospital

Cheltenham

A dormitory house called Eversleigh in Parabola Road was offered by Cheltenham Ladies' College for use as a hospital in 1915, along with a team of former students to run it. The house still belongs to the Ladies' College today and is used as common rooms for non-boarding students.

The hospital was moved to Lisle House in Clarence Square towards the end of 1918, and at the end of the war when St. Martin's was officially closed the house was converted into a 20-bed hospital for paralysed soldiers, fitted out with equipment from other demobilised hospitals across the county. It was one of only two Red Cross hospitals in Gloucestershire to continue in use as a post-war hospital. Lisle House still exists (next door to the Clarence Court Hotel) but is now converted to residential flats. A row of houses beside it is still called St. Martin's Terrace.

The photos below were taken at Eversleigh in 1915.

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
ST. MARTIN'S V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 68


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—June 23rd 1915

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to March 26th 1919

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

40

690

1

1915
25.66

46

 

 

 

 

1916
32.84

57

 

 

 

 

1917
33.15

55

 

 

 

 

1918
31.86

52

OFFICERS

Commandant: Miss Donald

Medical Officer: Dr Grace S. Billings

Lady Superintendent: Miss Wintle, A.R.R.C.

Quartermaster: Miss G. Gilliat

Hon. Secretary and Treasurer : Miss L. Green

NOTE BY THE COMMANDANT

St. Martin's Hospital was opened in June 1915 at Eversleigh, Bayshill, with accommodation for 40 patients. It was entirely staffed by former pupils of the Ladies' College, Cheltenham. At first it was only intended to be a convalescent hospital, but in a very short time this was altered and patients came direct from the front the same as to all the other hospitals in the town. The staff consisted of the Medical Officer, Commandant, Lady Superintendent, Night Sister, six to eight V.A.D. Nurses, Housekeeper, Hon. Treasurer, Quartermaster, and Assistant Quartermaster, three Cooks and two or three pantry maids, and practically the whole of this detachment worked full-time throughout. In September 1918, St. Martin's was moved to Lisle House, Clarence Square, kindly lent by Mrs James Winterbotham, as the owner of Eversleigh wished to use it for other purposes. In many ways the new hospital was better; though not actually taking more patients there was far more space, especially in the Quartermaster's premises, and the lift from the kitchen to the dining room proved an inestimable boon, as did also the big shady garden.

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919