Leckhampton VA hospital

Cheltenham

600 years old and set on the edge of a hill just outside Cheltenham, Leckhampton Court is now a much respected Sue Ryder hospice. It served in the Second World War as a camp for British, American and German (POW) soldiers. During the First World War it belonged to Major Elwes, who lent it to the Red Cross while he was on overseas service with the Gloucestershire Yeomanry. Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
Leckhampton Court VAD hospital
LECKHAMPTON V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 42


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—Feb 27th 1915

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to March 1919

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

100

1579

2

1915
42.06

49

 

 

 

 

1916
62.49

61

 

 

 

 

1917
80.84

61

 

 

 

 

1918
77.58

49

OFFICERS

Commandant: Mrs Ward, M.B.E.

Medical Officers: Dr H. R. Lloyd Davies, Dr A. M. McAldowie

Lady Superintendent: Miss Lucy Hill, A.R.R.C.

Quartermaster: Miss L. Wishaw

Hon. Secretary and Treasurer: Mr S. E. Harrison

NOTE BY THE COMMANDANT

Glos. 42 came into being, under its present officers, in the spring of 1910. With the advent of war it equipped a hospital, entirely by voluntary contributions, at Leckhampton Court, which was very kindly lent for the purpose by Mrs Cecil Elwes, and was ready for patients by the 1st November 1914, though it was not used until the following February.

The situation of the hospital, its glorious views and gardens, its exhilarating air, and homely old-world atmosphere, were particularly successful in all cases of shell-shock and gas-poisoning, while the out-of-door shelters have been the means of complete cure in many cases of chest trouble.

Its record of operations is very satisfactory, over 140 having been performed, and every one with a successful result.

The discipline maintained by the hospital has been really excellent, the patients themselves taking an interest in their family record.

The extensive grounds have afforded ample scope for all kinds of games and provided an outlet for the exuberance of the more convalescent.

The personnel of the staff has remained practically the same throughout, except that one Medical Officer—Dr Pearson— volunteered for service in France, and fourteen V.A. members have been posted by Devonshire House to "fresh fields and pastures new", there not being enough work at Leckhampton to employ the many eager and willing helpers.

Ward at Leckhampton Court VA hospital
Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919