Gloucester VA hospital

In Gloucester, the Red Cross took over the partially completed new infirmary building at the Gloucester Union Workhouse in 1914. The building was completed after the war and served as the workhouse infirmary for a decade or so, after which it became the City General Hospital and later part of Gloucestershire Royal Infirmary. Below is a photograph of the hospital site, taken from the air on 25th November 1918 (and obviously retouched to sharpen the detail). Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
Aerial photo of Gloucester VA hospital, 1918
GLOUCESTER V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 32 & 60


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—October 21st 1914

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to March 26th 1919

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

272

4822

31

1915
39.66

29

 

 

 

 

1916
132.02

43

 

 

 

 

1917
206.65

55

 

 

 

 

1918
213.48

38

OFFICERS

Commandants: Mrs Lee-Williams, O.B.E., Mrs E. B. Evans

Medical Officers: Dr W. Washbourn, Dr A. Alcock, Dr C. St. Johnston, Dr H. C. Terry

Lady Superintendents: Miss Norris, R.R.C., Mrs Finlay, A.R.R.C.

Quartermasters: Miss Voller, Miss Brown

Assistant Quartermaster: Mrs Vears

Hon. Secretary: Mr Hobbs

Hon. Treasurer: Mrs Cullis

Masseuses: Miss Hans, Miss Cholmeley

This was actually the first hospital in Gloucestershire to open and the last to close. It commenced in the two west wards—the only part then completed—of the Gloucester Poor Law Infirmary, when 60 beds were provided. Late in 1915 more beds were required, and the Guardians generously gave us the use of the two east wards, and later the maternity block, so that we then had the whole of the hospital. This enabled us to provide over 200 beds; in 1916 a further urgent call for more accommodation reached us, which we were able to meet by the kindness of a committee of Gloucester citizens, who provided a first rate hut, complete with electric light, baths, and sanitary accommodation, and also a large dining room, which was badly wanted. The erection of the Hospital hut was probably a record in rapid building, being completely finished in every detail and occupied by patients in 17 days.

This additional accommodation enabled us to bring the beds up to 272, and with Boddington, used as an annexe, to 290.

There were very few, if any, purely Auxiliary Hospitals larger than this.

Photos of Gloucester VA hospital

Gloucester VA hospital

The kitchens at Gloucester VA hospital, 1915
Ward at Gloucester VA hospital
Aerial view of Gloucester VA hospital, 1915
Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919