The Abbotts VA hospital

Cheltenham

This hospital originally opened in Moorend Park, Charlton Kings and shortly afterwards moved to The Abbotts at 49 All Saints Road, a house lent to the Red Cross by the trustees of its deceased owner, Mr C. Winstone. It served as a hospital between May 1915 and October 1916. The house still exists today and is now used as a children's nursery.

The hospital later moved again to a substantial house nearby called The Priory. Although the original Priory building no longer exists, an approximate replica was built on the same site in 2000.

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
The Abbotts VA hospital, Cheltenham
 
THE PRIORY/THE ABBOTTS V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 30


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—November 5th 1914

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to Jan 9th 1919

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

100

1603

20

1915
36.33

42

 

 

 

 

1916
51.99

45

 

 

 

 

1917
85.25

51

 

 

 

 

1918
78.31

49

OFFICERS

Commandant: Miss S. H. Smith, O.B.E.

Medical Officers: Dr H. M. Meyrick-Jones, Dr R. C. Affleck

Lady Superintendent: Miss Bagnall-Oakeley, A.R.R.C.

Quartermasters: Mrs Halliday

NOTE BY THE COMMANDANT

This hospital was opened on November 5th 1914, first at Moorend Park, Charlton Kings, with 40 beds, then at the Abbotts with an increase of 10 beds. In October 1916 the Abbotts Hospital was closed and the patients were transferred to the Priory, which was opened in its place, with accommodation for 100 patients instead of 50, and between 10 and 15 of the staff. The Priory being the Hostel of St. Paul's Training College was well adapted for a hospital. The rooms upstairs are large and airy; and the dining hall, drawing room and recreation room made excellent wards on the ground floor. The latter opening into the garden made a particularly pleasant ward in summer. Two small rooms were used as officers' wards. The more serious cases among the troops stationed in Cheltenham and the neighbourhood, and from the Rendcombe Aerodrome, and the men on leave were received, as well as convoys from France; also numerous out-patients were treated daily, so that the central position of the hospital was a very great advantage.

These photos were taken in 1915.

Open air shelter at the Abbotts VA hospital, 1915
Ward at the Abbotts VA hospital, 1915
Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919