Horton VA hospital

Hugh Harford and his wife donated part of their house at Horton, near Chipping Sodbury, for use as a V.A. hospital which the Harford family ran themselves as well as organising further hospital facilities at nearby Hawkesbury. Unfortunately Mr Harford himself became ill, necessitating the closure of Horton hospital in September 1917. The Hawkesbury annexe continued in use until the end of the war, having been transferred to Badminton VA hospital. Hugh Harford died in 1920. Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
Horton VA hospital
 
HORTON V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 24


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—October 24th 1914

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to February 26th 1917

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

35

338

1

1915
26.19

58

 

 

 

 

1916
28.33

67

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OFFICERS

Commandant: Mrs H. Harford, Mrs W. Harford

Medical Officers: Dr T. C. Leman, Dr A. W. Ward

Quartermasters: Mrs F. Stinchcome, Mrs Taylor

This hospital was provided in Mr Harford's private house, where 28 beds were provided; twelve additional beds were arranged at Hawkesbury by Mrs W. Harford, who acted as local Commandant.

In 1917, owing to the illness of Mr Harford, the Horton Hospital was closed and the Hawkesbury annexe was transferred to Badminton.

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919