New Court VA hospital

Cheltenham

New Court VA hospital was opened in 1914 in a very fine private house in Lansdown Road (then also referred to as Lansdown Place) in Cheltenham. Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
Newcourt VA hospital, Cheltenham
NEW COURT V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 16


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—October 21st 1914

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to Dec 18th 1918

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

90

1697

8

1915
49.98

41

 

 

 

 

1916
71.84

55

 

 

 

 

1917
86

-

 

 

 

 

1918
61.07

54

OFFICERS

Commandant: Miss A. C. King O.B.E.

Medical Officers: Dr C. Ewbank Lansdown, Mr H. N. Pike

Lady Superintendent: Miss Bailey, A.R.R.C.

Quartermaster: Miss Mackenzie

Assistant Quartermaster: Miss St. Barbe

Hon. Secretary: Mr J. H. W. Fulton

Hon. Treasurer: The Hon. Mrs Stanley Jamieson

NOTE BY THE HON. SECRETARY

Soon after the declaration of war this large private house was offered to the War Office by its owner, the late Mr J. Fleming, and as a result was opened as a hospital of 55 beds on October 21 1914. This was the first of the Red Cross Hospitals opened in Cheltenham.

Twenty-five more beds at the Cleeve Convalescent Home came under its authority before the end of 1914, and in 1916 (after the great push of July 1st) a new ward (a wooden structure) was added to the hospital by the generosity of Mr Herbert Unwin, which enabled 22 more beds to be added. This brought the total accommodation to 102 beds (i.e. 77 at New Court and 25 at Cleeve).

With its straight corridors and beautiful rooms it would have been difficult to find a private house more adaptable for use as a hospital. Moreover its grounds were of great benefit to the patients, and its situation was one of the best in town.

It was finally closed on December 18th 1918, and no fewer than 22 of the not very large original staff remained at work during the whole course of its existence.

Ward at New Court VA hospital, 1915
The Fleming Ward at New Court VA hospital, 1915
Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919