Badminton VA hospital

Opened in 1914 at Portcullis House, next door to Badminton GWR Station. The house was part of the estate of the Duke and Duchess of Beaufort, in the village made famous by its annual horse trials. The photo dates from around 1915. Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
Ward at Badminton VA hospital
 
BADMINTON V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 4


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—November 9th 1914

No. of beds
In addition there were 13 beds at Hawkesbury

Admissions since opening to Dec 28th 1918

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

37

510

0

1915
20.68

42

 


 

 

1916
25.36

64

 


 

 

1917
30.08

62

 

 


 

1918
24.52

55

OFFICERS

Commandant: Mrs Gordon

Medical Officer: Dr J. S. Mellish

Lady Superintendent: Miss Green

Quartermaster: Mrs C. Kidd

Hon. Treasurer: R. H. Chichester

Secretary: Miss A. L. Cole

This hospital, lent by the Duke of Beaufort, opened with 35 beds under Mrs H. Butler. On her death in May 1917, Mrs Gordon became Commandant, and continued to the end. In May 1917 the small hospital at Hawkesbury (12 beds), which had done such excellent work as an annexe to Horton Auxiliary Hospital, was transferred on the closing of Horton to Badminton; owing to the illness of its Commandant, Mrs W. Harford, Hawkesbury finally closed in September 1917.

The Badminton Hospital was used from August 10th 1915 to December 15th 1915 as an annexe to Roehampton, limbless patients being admitted while awaiting the time for admission to Roehampton.

 

Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919