Hillfield/Palace VA hospital

Gloucester

This hospital first opened at Hillfield House in the Wotton area of Gloucester and was moved to the Bishop of Gloucester's Palace in 1916 when it was unable to provide enough beds for the incoming Somme casualties. Originally a private villa, Hillfield House was built around 1867 and is now used as government offices. The Palace is now part of the King's School and used as senior classrooms. Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919
Hillfield VA hospital
 
HILLFIELD/PALACE V.A. HOSPITAL
GLOS. 96


final report from The Red Cross in Gloucestershire 1914-19
 

Date of opening—September 25th 1915

No. of beds

Admissions since opening to March 26th 1919

Deaths


Average number of resident patients daily

Average number of days each patient was resident

 

100

1259

7

1915
34.11

45

 

 

 

 

1916
43.32

60

 

 

 

 

1917
84.31

58

 

 

 

 

1918
74.54

59

OFFICERS

Commandant: Mrs T. P. Parnell

Medical Officers: Mr C. V. Knight, Dr L. Wilkin

Lady Superintendent: Mrs Goss, A.R.R.C.

Quartermaster: Miss Tombs

Hon. Treasurer: Mr H. J. Smith

Masseuse: Miss M. Hyett

This hospital opened originally at Hillfield, most kindly lent by Mr O. Estcourt. This made an excellent hospital of 50 beds with, however, no possibility of expansion, and when, in the autumn of 1916, we were being pressed for more beds a move was made to the Palace, generously placed at our disposal by the Bishop of Gloucester, when the beddage was increased to 100. The original Commandant was Mrs Haines, a most capable and energetic officer, who died at her post in January 1916. She was succeeded by Mrs Parnell, Commandant of Glos. V.A.D. 70, who served till demobilisation.

The hospital was, when it opened, affiliated to the Beaufort War Hospital, but when for administrative purposes it was included in 1917 in the Cheltenham Group, it was transferred to the 2nd Southern General.

interior, Hillfield House VA hospital
Patients at Hillfield VA hospital
The interior of Hillfield House in 1915, with VAD staff and patients.
Gloucestershire Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1919