HOW TO CALCULATE THE COEFFICIENTS
UEFA ranks the clubs and the associations each year using the match results.
The association rankings are used determine the number of entries to the UEFA club competitions. They are also used to determine at which stage each club will join the competition.
The club rankings are used to determine the seedings of the clubs for the draws.
The yearly rankings are calculated at the end of the season. But, these ranking are not used by themselves. Some associations and/or clubs may have unexpectedly very successful or very unsuccessful season. The yearly rankings may not show the true strength of the participants. That's why a normalization process is applied to both rankings. Last five year's rankings are added for both rankings and they are divided by 5 to get a 5-year average values for both associations and the clubs. These are called 5-year coefficients and are used to set up the forthcoming competitions.
The calculation of the Association Rankings
The clubs are awarded Match points and Bonus points throughout the competition. At the end of the competition all the points accumulated by the clubs of each association are calculated. This total is divided by the number of clubs participated to get the Yearly Coefficient of that associaiton.
* Match Points - 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss (these points are halved for the rounds before the Group Stage)
* Bonus Points - 1 for reaching Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, and Final at both UCL and UEL.
* Bonus Points (UCL only): 1 for reaching Last 16 Round, 4 for reachin Group Stage and also for progressing from the Group Stage.
The calculation of the Club Rankings
The club rankings are also made very similar way.
Awarding points to the clubs is almost the same as they are awarded at association rankings. The only difference is the points awarded to the clubs at Qualifying Rounds.
The clubs are not awarded halved points any more. Instead, some points are awarded according to the level they reach at the Qualifiers.
Since all the eliminated clubs of UCL continue at UEL, no points are awarded at UCL Qualifiers. They get their points at UEL.
The points awarded before the Group Stage at UEFA Europa League are as follows:
* 0.5 pts to the clubs eliminated at Preliminary Round
* 1.0 pt to the clubs eliminated at Qualifying Round 1
* 1.5 pts to the clubs eliminated at Qualifying Round 2
* 2.0 pts to the clubs eliminated at Qualifying round 3
* 2.5 pts to the clubs eliminated at Play-Off Round
The clubs are guaranteed a minimum of three points if they reach the group stage through qualification rounds, even if they collect less than three points at Groups.
A club's 5-year coefficient will be either club's 5-year coefficient or its association's coefficient (WHICHEVER IS THE HIGHER).