This scholarship is available to a graduating high school senior who will attend an accredited college, university or art school in Ohio. An ORIGINAL piece of art must be delivered to the GFWC/Ohio Federation of Women’s Club’s Annual Convention Art Exhibit Room no later than 3:00 P.M. on the first day of convention. The applicant’s name, address, phone number and the name of the sponsoring club and the contact person from that club must be securely attached to the back of the artwork.
I. REQUIRED MATERIAL FROM HIGH SCHOOL:
1. Official SIGNED copy of student’s transcript which must include: class rank and grade point average provided by counselor. Grade point average must be 2.6 or better. Include SAT or ACT scores if available.
2. Letter of recommendation from high school art teacher.
II. REQUIRED MATERIAL FROM APPLICANT:
1. Copy of letter of acceptance from an OHIO college, university or accredited art school on official school letterhead.
2. Letter written by applicant establishing proof of financial need, including any financial aide applied for and being received. Please do not send the FAFSA.
3. Copy of completed GFWC/Ohio Federation of Women’s Clubs Supplemental Questionnaire.
4. Completed and signed 2014-2016 Art Scholarship Application.
III. QUALIFYING FACTORS:
1. Media: oils, watercolor, pastel, acrylic, pen and ink, pencil or charcoal, mixed media (flat work).
2. Size not to exceed 20” x 24” unmatted. Must be matted. No frames or glass.
3. NO REPRODUCTIONS, cartoons or posters. Portraits, if entered, must include original photo of person attached to the back and there must be a personal connection. Graphics, if entered, must be the original drawing or painting. Any entry that appears to be copied will be disqualified.
IV. REQUIRED MATERIALS FROM SPONSORING CLUB:
1. Attach a letter from a club officer or club scholarship chairman to endorse this student. Give a character reference, unusual financial obligations, chronic illness or disabilities within the family, work experience of the applicant, etc. Sign the student’s submitted application form and include club’s name, city, and district.
2. Use the checklist on a previous page to ensure a successful completion of the submission process. All of the applicant’s paperwork, that is, school records, letters of recommendation, statements regarding financial need, letters from sponsoring club, completed application and supplemental questionnaire must be submitted to the Scholarship Chairman by March 1. Receipt of this packet will serve as notice to the Board of Trustees that you will also submit the applicant’s art work on the first day of Convention.
Immediately following the GFWC/OFWC Annual Meeting (Convention), the Chairman of the Scholarship Board of Trustees will notify those students receiving scholarships, as well as the sponsoring club. Checks will be mailed by the Treasurer of the GFWC/Ohio Federation of Women’s Clubs no later than September 1 to those receiving scholarships.
Applicant must notify the GFWC/Ohio Federation of Women’s Clubs Scholarship Board of Trustees Chairman by June 30 of decision to accept/reject the scholarship.