HOW TO CALCULATE THE COEFFICIENTS
UEFA ranks the clubs and the member associations each year.
The association rankings determine the number of places allocated to an association (country) in forthcoming UEFA club competitions.
The club rankings determine the seedings of the clubs for the draws in all UEFA competitions.
The rankings are made after several steps.
* - UEFA awards points to each club at every match they play - Win:2, Draw:1, Loss:0 points. (These points are halved for the matches played at Qualifying Rounds.)
* - UEFA awards bonus points to each club for achieving some pre-determined goals:
1 pt for reaching the quarter-finals, semi-finals, and the final at each competition.
1 pt for reaching the last 16, 4 pts for reaching the Groups Stage and 4 pts for proceeding from the Groups stage at UEFA Champions League only.
* - The clubs accumulate these points throughout the year and reach to a yearly total at the end.
* - Each association adds up the totals of the clubs representing them that year.
* - The totals of all the clubs are then divided by the number of clubs that association represented that year. The result is the YEARLY COEFFICIENT of the association.
* - Last five year's yearly coefficients are added and the associations are ranked according to these five-year coefficient ratios.
This Five-Year Rankings determine the number of participants at each competition.
The Ranking is finalized at the end of May each year. The associations located at North of Europe had already started the new football season.
Therefore, the association rankings are used for the competitions not for the next year, but for the following year.
* - The club rankings are also made very similar way.
* - Awarding points to the clubs is almost the same as they are awarded at association rankings. The only difference is the points awarded to the clubs at Qualifying Rounds.
* - The clubs are not awarded halved points any more. Instead, some points are awarded according to the level they reach at the Qualifiers.
Since all the eliminated clubs of UCL continue at UEL, no points are awarded at UCL Qualifiers. They get their points at UEL.
* - The points awarded before the Group Stage at UEFA Europa League are as follows:
0.5 pts to the clubs eliminated at Preliminary Round
1.0 pt to the clubs eliminated at Qualifying Round 1
1.5 pts to the clubs eliminated at Qualifying Round 2
2.0 pts to the clubs eliminated at Qualifying round 3
2.5 pts to the clubs eliminated at Play-Off Round
The clubs are guaranteed a minimum of three points if they reach the group stage through qualification rounds, even if they collect less than three points at Groups.
* A club's 5-year coefficient will be either club's 5-year coefficient or its association's coefficient (WHICHEVER IS THE HIGHER).