Towosahgy. Mississippi County. HWY 778. Country Road 522. 573-649-3149. A 64 acre area preserving the mounds of the once fortified ceremonial village from the Mississippian Culture, Osage Indian, Mound Builders.Excavation of stockades and watchtower.
Bonne Terre Memorial Library.
5 Southwest Main St. 573-358-2360. One of five oldest libraries in Missouri. Established in 1857 by the president of The St. Joseph leading company, J. Wyman Jones. He is responsible for the contribution of books for the library and also had them shipped from other parts of the country, this collection was called the St. Joe Reading Room. J. Wyman Jones son, in memory of his father, donated funds to erect the now-historic library. It was build of Bedford limestone place in a park like setting enclosed by a low stone wall. (The fireplace mantel in the Reading Room is a huge oak supported by oak columns, with marble facing and brick hearth.) Presently the library offers internet computer lab and courses, new additions in reading materials and areas.
Bollingers Mill and Buford Covered Bridge. Bufordville, Mississippi County. 573-243-4591. The 140 ft self-supporting wood and iron, Howe truss bridge was built between 1858-1868. It is the oldest covered bridge in Missouri. The Bollinger Mill is a four story brick water powered mill. Picnic sites. Short-distance trails and venture to the riverbanks of the Whitewater River.
Missouri Mines. In Park Hills. 573-431-6226. This milling site was used when the Missouri’s Lead belt produced 80% of the nations mined lead. The 25 acre site features a museum with restored underground mining equipment, a large display of mineral specimens, exhibits on mining history and the process.
Hunter-Dawson Home. In New Madrid County. 573-748-5340. A 1858 mansion-plantation of the Mississippi River during the Civil War.
Felix Vallé House. In St. Genevieve County. 573-883-7102. In the historic district there are preservations of the finest examples of the French settlement and colonial architecture. This historic site includes three houses, which represent several periods of St. Gen history. The Amoureux house dates from 1792. The 1818 Federal style Felix Vallé House was French resident and general store. The Shaw House dates from 1819.
Otahki Memorial. Cape Girardeau. Jackson. Trail of Tears State Forest. This memorial was dedicated for Nancy Bushyhead Hildebrand in memory of the Cherokee who died on the forced march in the winter of 1838-1839.