This is one of the primary differeces Druid Runes have from Viking or Nordic Runes. As far as I know (which isn't too far) no other group uses this method. Now, it may be seen/heard/read somewhere in the future because I've published it in my web pages.
If you're still with me, here's your personal reward.
So far I've told you only about the RUNES themselves.
This is where and how they become very personal and
After selecting 26 RUNES stones, there will be 6 remaining.
I know, it doesn't add up does it? Where does the 7th come from?
It's magic! ... of a sort.
The six remaining RUNES are yours.
Do not show them to any one and do not put them in the bag with the
Only those RUNES grounded to the cloth will be used for
readings and divination.
These six RUNES are yours.
They become your talisman and your teachers.
They may be used in ceremony, for dreams, in healing, and in magic.
They may become your guide to other planes and realities.
They may be buried separately in the Earth, or they may be kept together
in a special place known only to you.
Whether you choose to continue to carry them or not,
they are part of you and you are part of them.
For this reason, I do not often make more than 26 RUNES
for other people. I never make more than 26 RUNES
for someone I do not know.
In certain ceremonies and when doing work with my cauldron I will put the 6 personal runes into the cauldron, or use them to scribe a candle with. These are tools. When used properly, they can instill their energy or vibration onto another object, such as a candle, water, or a piece of paper used for writing...the list is endless.
Actually, I only have physical possession of one of these stones, the other five have been buried. After spending time with these stones, you will know them. It is then possible to return them to the earth for safe keeping. When the time and place is right, you will know. When in doubt ... do nothing.
I learned these six special Rune Stones by wearing them and studying them individualy for 13 consecutive lunar months. Yes, 6 years. Because these are personal and private, there is no deadline or schedule. Some people may prefer to wear one each lunar cycle, rotating them often. I do not prefer or recommend this because the seasonal influence are often extremely sublte. If you don't take care to wear the same RUNE stone for the entire cycle, you cannot possibly know it completely. They change, just like the seasons. It is less obvious when I'm always changing stones.
I will periodically update this page with new exercises. Here is the first basic exercise or lesson with the six personal Rune Stones.
Note: this exercise is based on stones containing more than one symbol and symbols on top, bottom and side(s). A single symbol on a stone does not work for this exercise.
Place the six RUNE Stones in a line across the center of the ground. The first time you do this the order does not matter. This exercise will help you to determine their order. After doing this exercise once, place them in order from beginning dark half to ending light half.
If any stone has symbols on both sides, be sure to look at the uderside of the stone to know what symbols are there. It may be easier in the beginning, to write these symbols on a separate piece of paper and put that above the ground for easy reference.
Now, find three stones that contain all of the Rune symbols. These are the light half. The remaining three stones, which may or may not contain all rune symbols, are the dark half. If you do not have three stones that contain all symbols you may do one of two things:
- Add a fourth stone, which will complete the Rune symbols. Do this only if this fourth stone does, in fact, contain all of the missing Rune symbols. Make sure you remember which Rune stone this is and the symbols that it contains to complete the full set.
- Note which symbols are not present. Write them down.
If you are going to do this exercise, please try not to read the rest of this until you have made one of the two choices above. It matters in how you proceed from this point. Knowing the process may somehow effect your decision. Try to be willing to let the RUNES lead you.
If you found three stones with all symbols, or you chose option 1 (selecting a fourth Rune stone), follow the Option 1 Guidelines. If you elected to go without all the sybmols, follow Option 2 Guidelines. If you are undecided, STOP here.
Please read only your part at first. Feel free to come back look at the "other" option when you've completed your exercise. It does effect how you look at things. The Illustration "Foundation of Stones" and comments immediately folllowing applies to both options and can be found in between option one and option two guidelines. Look for the shamrocks ...
Option 1 Guidelines
- If you found three Rune stones that contain all the symbols, it is a rare gift! I could not put all six of my personal stones together to complete this task. You have great balance and seek to bring harmony and well being to everything you do. You are a natural healer and tend to be a bit understated about yourself and your abilities.
- If you found four Rune stones that contain all the symbols, it, too is a gift, although not quite as rare. You are a person who requires rules and order in life. Not comfortable with the "empty space" of unknowing or not having, you strive to fill it. You bring to the table whatever is needed, no matter what the personal sacrifice. You are generous, almost to a fault, and you depend on no one. You, too, are a natural healer ... always looking for what is missing ... needing the answers and willing to go out on the ledge to try and get them. Although you know your limitations, you are usually willing to strive past them; when the purpose and timing is right.
- For both of you, you will find it easier to work with the light half of the Runes. Therefore, the most important ones for you are the dark half. You may have just two stones for the dark half, which leave a great deal to the unknown and undiscovered. The fourth stone being placed in the light half, leave a huge gap in the dark cycle. You have some work to do if you ever decide to develop your inituitive skills.
- Do not, at this point, decide to put the fourth light stone into the dark circle. It really does not belong there. Do, however, study it to see what is missing, or better yet, unperceived, in the dark cycle.
- It is very important to read between the lines and to see what is not present.
- When there is no sacred space, there is no room for additional gifts from the elements.
- It is your task, for the next 13 lunar months, to create an opening for what you do not know and/or have. To allow for the unknown.
- Select the smallest (in size or in number of symbols) of the dark runes. This is your primary Rune Stone. Your talisman for the next 13 lunar months. From this stone you should learn a great deal about yourself, if ... and only if ... you are willing to see what is there as well as what is not there.
- Next, select from the dark stones, the one which contains at least one or more of the symbols on the primary stone. This is stone number two. Obiously, if you've chosen four stones for the light, then your selection of dark stone two is made quite simple. If both remaining dark stones (assuming there are three dark stones) each contain more than one of the symbols of the primary stone, then compare front, back and sides. In some way, you must determine one of them to be closer to the primary stone than the other. If there or absolutely no like symbols, then evaluate the overall message of the stone.
- Once you have determined the order of the dark stones, place them at the bottom of the ground in their proper order from right to left
3, 2, 1
- To achieve balance, you will always use the dark stones in the light half and the light stones in the dark half. The RUNE symbols drawn on the bottom half of the ground will take on the influence of the two stones nearest those symbols (i.e., stone 3 to the left and stone 1 to the right). This will definately be true for any reading you do for yourself. It is always an undercurrent for others who throw the stones on the ground for your to read.
- Now that your dark half is identified, it is time to move to the light cycle. If there are three stones for the light, your task is fairly simple. Find the opposite stone for each dark stone. Place them in the top half of the ground in the opposite order, or
Your circle is read counter-clockwise
- Stones five and two will represent the most balance and familiarity to you. Stone four and three will be the lessons you have most likely already learned. Stones six and one are what you avoid or find difficult.
- Pay close attention to any symbols on the side(s) of this primary stone. (see the sample illustration below). These are your foundation issues. You are either planted firmly on the ground (balanced) or so entrenched in one or more of these aspects (unbalanced) that you cannot see the forrest for the trees. We all usually spend a little time on either side of this fence. No one gets it right all the time (at least I don't!)
- For those of you who have 4/2
- To achieve balance, you will always use the dark stones in the outter portion of the light half and three (3,4,5) light stones spaced evenly in the (upper) dark half. The sixth stone should be placed in the center and will be read in conjuction with the three light stones in the upper (dark) half of the circle. None of the RUNE symbols drawn on the ground will take on the influence of the stones nearest those symbols. Therefore, your cloth and RUNES are easiest to read.
Your circle is read counter-clockwise on the top half (dark) to the center and then continuing counterclockwise to the bottom (light)
- Even though your ground does not take on the influences of your personal Rune stones, you must keep in mind their effect and read it into whatever is there. See the unseen. Depending on the RUNES, this may be easy and it might be quite a challenge. Practice makes perfect, as they say.
Illustration: Foundation of Stones
- The sides of the stones will determine the true top and bottom of the stone. This is sometimes difficult to discern, because the symbols do not always take a perpendicular position.
- The first stone is blank. This does not mean that there is nothing to be read here. On any natural stone, light conditions, moisture, dirt, etc., will change the texture and color of the stone over time. Always look at blank spaces to see if there are any faint outlines of rune symbols there. What you see today, may be different tomorrow.
- The second stone has one symbol that easily determines the stone's top and bottom. It is the second symbol on the stone. It's position is one which can hold or release energy of all types. This symbol is very similar to the cauldron.
- On the third stone, the second symbol is containing or keeping to the earth any energy. Since energy is drawn from the earth, it is not full circle/full cycle and therefore reversed.
- As you can see in both stones, it is not exactly upright or reversed ... but in the general direction. This indicates a tendancy or predeliction to the use of energy in this way. Being somewhat in the middle, it is balanced. This person has the ability to discern the proper place and time for use of energy and does not drain others or themself in the process. This particular symbol is never seen as positive if it is straight up or straigt down. It is balanced, when slightly askew in one direction or the other.
- The depth and thickness of the lines indicates the strength (or weakness) of the energy of that symbol. Not all lines should be the same. For illustration purposes, I made other graphics will fairly similar lines ... for continuity and easy viewing. In the graphic above, please note that symbol three is considerably lighter and thinner than the others. This, too, has meaning and should be read accordingly.
- In this particular instance, lacking all other information which may effect the reading, I would interpret this Rune Stone as follows:
Upright (center) Having just passed through a transitional period, energy is low and the body must rest and recharge. OR what you are currently working on is draining energy. In either case, the recommended course of action is to do something else ... at least for recreational purposes. Balance is required and it will take effort to obtain. Effort, at this time, is costly because physical energy is low. Therefore, it is vital to choose wisely and balance your schedule, if nothing else.
Reversed (far right) You are holding on to the illusion of balance or continuity and refusing to see an opportunity in front of you. Fear of not having what you cherish is limiting new treasures and opportunities from entering into your life, simply because you will not let go! LET GO!
Of course the top, bottom, other sides and surrounding stones would tell you much more about the opportunity being presented and exactly what it is this person is holding on to so desperately.
Option 2 Guidelines
Don't feel like you've got something missing! You don't. As I said in option 1, I couldn't put all six of my personal stones together for one complete set of symbols. This is quite normal. The cycle of life is one of change and growth. When it is complete, it is Death. You have a cycle of energy that is always changing. You are many things and have many talents. Your challenge is to use them in a wise and timely manner. You allow for what you don't know and are willing to accept guidance and/or help, while taking the initiative and responsibility for your actions.
You may have had to learn this, but by this time in your life you are usually comfortable with the dark or unknown aspects of life. You are able to use your intuitive skills as well as your logical ones. We all generally have a preference to one side or the other, yet you have been able to develop both, albeit not equally well. (We're all human, eh?)
Without actually seeing your stones, I am unable to tell you more, although there is a great deal more. The rest of this exercise will help you in determining some of it.
Select three stones that contain the least number of symbols. These stones comprise the dark half.
From the three dark stones, select the largest (either in size or number of symbols). This is your primary stone.
The second stone is the one that least resembles the first. It has the fewest number of similar symbols or a radically different foundation. (see illustration above on foundations)
The remaining stone is your third dark stone.
Set them in a line on the TOP of your ground in order from left to right
To achieve balance, you will always use the dark stones in the dark half and the light stones in the light half. The RUNE symbols drawn on the top half of the ground will take on the influence of the two stones nearest those symbols (i.e., stone 3 to the left and stone 1 to the right). This will definately be true for any reading you do for yourself. It is always an undercurrent for others who throw the stones on the ground for your to read.
The remaining three stones are your light stones.
It may not be easy or obvious, so take your time and study the remaining three stones. Place them on the bottom of the ground opposite the rune on top that is most alike that stone.
Once these stones are matched, to your satisfaction, they are identified from left to right
Your circle is read clockwise
Stones three and six represent your hidden talents and secrets.
Stones two and five represent your true strengths ... your balance.
Stones one and four represent your polar issues. These may be considered strengths and/or weaknesses in every-day jargon. These are the areas where you are extreme in your emotion or belief, or possibly actions. This is not wrong, or bad. It simply is.
Your task for the next 13 lunar months is to observe your polarity. Understand that everything has two sides. Try to at least see the other side of things. Make no attempt to actually change how you are or what you do, merely observe and acknowledge the opposite form. If you so choose, you may begin to make any desired changes at the end of this cycle.
When you do use the 26 RUNES for any reason
- place the ground
- select one RUNE from the bag and put it aside before the
This RUNE is the magical seventh.
It is the bridge between the two worlds.
It is the unknown.
It is your connection to:
- the person your are reading,
- the 25 RUNES remaining in the bag,
- the 6 personal RUNES
- your connection to the spirit and life force energy of the RUNES
They do not become whole ... they do not become
RUNES until you create the bridge betwen the
two worlds, physical and spiritual.
When you have completed the reading, return the 7th RUNE
to the bag containing 25.
Each time you pick this RUNE it may be different.
This RUNE is not to be used in the reading,
it is to guide you, the reader, to prepare properly.
This RUNE tells you how to do the reading.
Note: At this time I am withholding some lesser-known rune symbols from publication because I am concerned about their being mis-used or abused.
Still interested ... show me the next page.
Let me see that again. Go back one page.
Get me OUTTA HERE! (Bye)
Okay ... Go wherever you want