Man With(out) a Movie Camera
- The Sonny Liston Fan Club, from L'il Art's Poker Party.
- Mother's Day from someone's living room or den...BE AWARE, IT'S NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED within EARSHOT.
- I particularly like Some Local Burgers I've Recently Et and Tropic Of Nipples I & II
Tropic of Nipples
In 2002, Chris Slusarkeno of Off Records managed to get Richard Meltzer and Robert Pollard to appear in almost the same place at the same time to record an album, Tropic of Nipples.
It includes the most complete collection of tracks from VOM. Buy your copy HERE.
I did an interview with Chris long before he became a member of GBV and the the Pollardverse about how the album came to be. I'll find it and add it here. Promise.
THE COLLABORATING CREW: Yuko Araki (drums) - Hirotaka "Shimmy" Shimizu (guitar)
Richard Meltzer (voice) - Mike Watt (bass) (minus Meltzer, otherwise known as brothers sisters daughter. Their myspace page has a few 'gushes' without RM that are quite enjoyable in their own right.)
THE RELEASE DATE: 1/17/2012
THE DEFINITIVE ALBUM HOME: mike watt's hootpageThe hootpage page contains:
- The track listing (only 63 songs)!
- Watt's history of the project from minutemen times to now!
- A link to this suite of pages (cough)!
- Uncle Ray's Spielgusher essay!
- A Soundcloud link to TRACK 9! (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PLAY AT WORK WITHOUT WEARING HEADPHONES, UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT CO-WORKERS AND REPEATEDLY EXPOSING THEM TO THE F WORD. Either way, bon appetit!)
So They Say... (or So They Spielgush)?
- A review written for the Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange which contains a disconcerting sentence, "The music tome [The Aesthetics of Rock] mattered for just so long, and then Nick Carducci wrote the only true book of rock criticism ever printed, Rock and the Pop Narcotic, a flawed masterpiece, and incinerated all previous pensées while mooting future issuances." The only true book of rock criticism? Odd, no matter who you dig. Still, read Mark S. Tucker's review here.
- The AV Club's Jason Heller grades the album here.
- SPIN tweets their opinion.