Marks of Torture

I have called myself a torture victim, and I truly am. Most of my torture is mental, a campaign of state terrorism and high-tech assault that few could comprehend without experiencing it. There are some aspects, however, that anyone can understand. When bio-chemical weapons create painful, debilitating, disfiguring illness in the absence -- the deliberate deprivation -- of effective, curative medical treatment, when days, weeks, months, seasons, and years pass devoid of hope, denied the protection of law or any form of effective advocacy, the cumulative result is not pretty.

The picture on the home page looks pretty good, if I say so myself. My smile tells the world that I am at peace with myself and willing to relate in a friendly manner to the rest of humanity. How very much it hides! The marks of my torture are mostly inside.

Forms of malicious attack exist whose effects are indistinguishable from the symptoms of natural illness. Surely, deliberately and systematically destroying an individual's health, keeping him sick and limited for two decades, is a horrible crime, arguably a crime against humanity. It constitutes protracted cruel, inhuman, degrading treatment that amounts, in fact, to torture and slow murder.

In 1985, I blew the whistle on connections between the Director of Education and Training at my workplace and brutal police who had used electric stun guns to torture a marijuana suspect. My employers, a New York State agency, began to retaliate. As a person with a disability (osteoarthritis), I filed a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Docket Number 02-86-3013. The investigator assigned to the case was Mr. Norman J. Mc Cullough. My letter to him dated December 5, 1985 included the following:

If you interview Jackie English, and if it doesn't conflict or interfere with what you are trying to accomplish, I would greatly appreciate it if you could inquire concerning the use in my immediate environment of a device that I have heard Margarita Woolcock refer to as an "x-ray camera." This device, I believe, has been used frequently to observe me within the confines of my therapy room at work, and possibly also in my home. I have tried to reassure myself that it is probably an infrared sensing device, essentially innocuous, but if it is indeed a device that generates x-rays, microwaves, or the like, I am very much concerned about its possible effects on my health. The device may have been supplied and/or used by a man called "Eddie." Eddie is, I believe, from New Jersey, is employed by a law enforcement agency, and may have, as of 1984, driven a black Cadillac or Buick, NJ License Plate 222 YHO.

Mr. Mc Cullough was then mysteriously assigned to some other task within his agency and the case’s docket number was mysteriously changed from 02-86-3013 to 02-86-3016. The new investigator was Mr. Barry Chiteman.

Because of continuing retaliation, I filed a second OCR complaint, Docket Number 02-86-3057. Mr. Chiteman asked me to summarize my charges. I did so in my letter to him dated August 31, 1986. This included the following:

On 12-27-85, law-enforcement personnel were present on the second floor of 75 Morton Street. They spent some time around 11:00 A.M. in the room adjacent to the Barber Shop, the room with an intrusion alarm, which had become Bob Burns' office. There they apparently viewed pictures, documents, and tapes. One of them said "You had a rape case here, didn't you?" At one point, they seemed to be concerned with the way someone walked.

About 1:45 - 2:25 P.M., Menta and Burns were talking to a Sergeant about someone who lost control of a car. They spent some time explaining M.D.C.'s policy regarding employees who have drug problems, implying that the person had lost control of the car because of drug-related impairment.

By the end of the conversation, the Sergeant agreed to something. Burns said he would start the next day, and promised to "limit it to three or four seconds."

This was apparently an agreement to allow Burns again to use a form of electronic surveillance on me that had been used the year before. Menta had described the equipment used at that time as involving x-rays and another form of radiation (microwaves?). Margarita Woolcock had also spoken of an "x-ray camera." Jacqueline English (no longer employed at M.D.C.) also has knowledge of it, and so may Aileen Whiteside and Elsa Webb. Ms. Webb suffered a bout of disabling anemia early this year. She later remarked "I got sick just walking past that room." Her office is two doors down from mine. Since the end of last year, I have suffered an apparent bout of anemia, recurrent infections, mild but unexplained white blood cell dyscrasias, and endocrine imbalances, along with chronic fatigue and drowsiness. I firmly believe all of these may be caused by radiation produced by the surveillance equipment wrongfully and maliciously used on me. Assisting Bob Burns in the use of this equipment is someone named Cheryl.

In a possibly related development, on 3-31-86 at around 2:10 P.M. there was much celebration on the second floor. Someone was congratulated for "nice work" because something was to be done on an ongoing basis -- twice a month.

I didn't know what to call it then, but the weapon is apparently a form of backscatter scanning that was available to military and law enforcement personnel as far back as the 1980s.

Ionizing radiation kills blood cells. Red cells are the first to recover after such exposure. Those that take longest to reach previous levels are the T-Cell Lymphocytes, which have to mature in the thymus gland before circulating in the blood stream. Ever since 1985, most of my differential white blood cell analyses have shown relative lymphocytopenia. Lymphocytes are supposed to make up at least 20% of total white cells. My results generally have ranged between 16% and 7%.

Something, probably maliciously-inflicted radiation, has weakened my immune system ever since 1986. In 1988, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and corruption doomed my attempt to save my job. Medical tests revealed extremely high levels of antibodies to two common viruses, Cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr Virus. Perhaps not coincidentally, scientists at the Institute for Basic Research on Staten Island, a facility of the same agency that employed me, had used laboratory-strength strains of these viruses for a number of years in their research.

In 1990, I developed a condition that resulted in a high fever, one of the worst headaches of my life, and obscene swelling of my right ear and the tissue over my left cheekbone. My right ear was twice the size of the left. These symptoms are typical of Chagas Disease, a trypanosomal infection generally spread by the bite of an assassin bug. Chagas is generally fatal.

What I had, however, was not true Chagas. My doctor treated it with Ampicillin, and it went away. I have since realized that genetically-altered bacteria with Chagas trypanosome DNA spliced into them were probably responsible. Over the years, many such bacteria have found their way into my system, mainly by deliberate contamination of my foodstuffs in the course of innumerable break-ins.

I could be wrong about the particular microbes involved. An article titled "Army's Mission in Chemical Arms" on Page 1 of Section 3 of the July 16, 1989 edition of Newark, New Jersey's Star-Ledger states the following:

The Army has spent millions to purify and study exotic snake venoms, according to 1986-87 research reports. Now these venoms are being spliced into a common bacteria, E. Coli, that doubles in number every 18 minutes, also increasing the venom.

After my third expulsion from Europe at the end of October, 1993 (see "Hard Realities") I tried to commit suicide by swallowing some Xanax pills. A period of hospitalization followed, and I was finally able to obtain Social Security Disability on the basis of depression (doctors had refused to certify my disability on any grounds other than mental). I took an apartment in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. In June, 1994, my lymphocyte level was normal, 21%. Inexplicably, my doctor at the Raritan Bay Community Health Center ordered a repeat of the test in one month. During that month, I noticed a large amount of signal interference in my radio and TV, as if some kind of equipment were in operation. Sure enough, my lymphocyte levels in July were down to 12%.

The remainder of 1994 was a period of uncontrolled weight gain. At that time, the yellow sheet given to me at the end of each visit to the Community Health Clinic (Patient Care Plan/Discharge Instructions) used to indicate my weight. Using these sheets as a guide, I kept a log of my weight on my old computer, storing it on a floppy disk. The log was mysteriously erased from my disk and the folder containing the yellow sheets disappeared from my apartment. How natural, I wonder, was the morbid obesity out of which I have now happily struggled?

In 1996, a different doctor finally ordered a CD4 test, a count of the particular kind of lymphocytes called T-Cells. These are the cells that HIV destroys, producing AIDS. As I noted above, they are also the slowest blood cells to return to normal levels following exposure to ionizing radiation.

My results showed T-Cell counts between about 540 (February 26, 1997) and 670 (January 16, 1998). The normal range is 800-1400. Since I test negative for HIV and HTLV (I do NOT have AIDS), the physicians have no explanation, yet they will not admit the possibility of radiation poisoning. Law enforcement officials at all levels have ignored me.

During Christmas Week, 2004, I experienced more than two hours of assault with the "x-ray camera" weapon. These pictures show the pattern on my analog TV screen on December 22 and December 23, 2004 (digital TV signals are not similarly affected).

December 22, 2004

December 23, 2004

An attack -- the third of the day -- occurred as I prepared for bed on the night of December 26 to December 27, 2004. I hastily set up the only sound recording arrangement that was possible at the time. Sitting before the TV set, I held my old Realistic FM wireless microphone (Radio Shack catalog number 33-1076) broadcasting at about 89.5 MHz into the FM antenna about twelve feet away, which fed a signal into my stereo receiver and my Fisher cassette deck. I later digitalized the recording and converted it to MP3 format. The short excerpt available here contains the interference picked up by the TV set, whose speaker was about three feet away from the microphone, as well as whatever interference entered the microphone's signal and the FM receiver's signal. The very end of the sample shows what the ambient noise level was when neither voice nor interference was present.

Attacks continued throughout 2005, 2006, and into 2007. My letter to the US Department of Justice dated January 30, 2005 complaining of this atrocious assault came back to me, slipped under my door at 3:00 AM on the morning of February 26, 2005. The envelope was stamped "Addressee Unknown." My letter of August 1, 2006 to the Department of Justice appears to have reached its destination. Though it clearly listed Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law (18 USC 242) as one of the crimes charged, it resulted in a silly rejection signed by Connie Lee, a Paralegal Specialist. Ms. Lee conveniently ignored the fact that public officials were directly involved. She wrote "... we have determined that your complaint does not involve a prosecutable violation of federal criminal civil rights statutes." This is essentially the same response I received back in the 1980s from previous Republican administrations.

It's a bit like the Watergate scandal. The coverup tends to prove the case.

The only place where my health markedly improved was the Netherlands. I believe that the Dutch Government would not allow American agents to use radiation and germ warfare there. In that country, I could possibly have lived in peace, health, and relative security. The United Nations will not process my complaints against Denmark and the Netherlands, will not call a halt and rescue me from the obscene horror that my country imposes on me. No lawyer will represent me. No non-governmental organization will take up my case. Very few individuals dare to care.

Following a nearly-fatal hospitalization in 2009 (severe urinary-tract infection with cardiac complications), my government appears to have stopped assaulting me with ionizing radiation. That's the good news. The bad news is that Bob Burns, on whom I blew the whistle in 1985, is now a high official in Homeland Security. I am now privileged to experience the "latest in microwave technology." My country has systematically crippled me, while a callous and corrupt world denies me any prospect of rescue. What I experience is protracted extrajudicial killing -- very slow murder.

So there you have it, Danish, Dutch, and Belgian nations, there it is, United Nations -- one very small indication of what your abominable, lawless cruelty has done to me. Scroll back up and take another look at the hell to which you damned me. Listen to the recording. In sending me back here, have you not damned yourselves?

Discuss this article in my Yuku Human Rights Community

or in JH Graf's Human Rights Forum

Torture, American Style -- the Wave of the Future?

What is a Private Purgatory, Marlin Fitzwater?

Please Make UN Treaty-based Committees Do Their Jobs!

Selected Documents and Links

Home Page