Site hosted by Build your free website today!



* Malfunctioning furnaces, fireplaces and heaters, often as a result of skipping maintenance.
* Unattended fireplaces and heaters, especially space heaters. This includes letting them burn unwatched at night.
* Heaters and candles placed too close to billowing curtains, towels, clothes and other things that can catch fire.
* Absent or broken home smoke detectors and families without a practiced escape plan.
* Careless residents. Some assume that it can't happen to them or take foolish risks.



* Hire a professional to clean and repair your heater, fireplace, furnace or wood stove in the fall, before the weather gets cold. But it's never too late to do it.

* Avoid space heaters if possible, especially those fueled by kerosene. If you use space heaters, buy only those approved by Underwriters Laboratories. And don't use extension cords with electric heaters.

* Keep all heaters at least three feet from anything that can catch fire, including billowing curtains at their farthest reach.

* If you leave the room, turn the heater off. Don't sleep with fireplaces, candles or space heaters burning.

* Install smoke detectors and keep the batteries fresh.

* Devise a simple fire escape plan, and practice it with your family.

* Use your eyes, ears and nose to stay alert for a fire. If one erupts, get out of the house fast, and then get help.

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide


CO poisoning is known as the "Silent Killer"! Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, poisonous gas that can be fatal when inhaled. CO is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the United States. CO inhibits your blood's capacity to carry oxygen.

The following are warning signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

·Irregular Breathing

CO poisoning can eventually lead to: convulsions, unconsciousness, heart and lung failure, brain damage and even death.

Where does CO come from?

·Vehicles and any other combustion engines running in an attached garages

·Any fossil fuel-burning appliance that is malfunctioning; including: gas logs, kerosene space heaters, gas or oil furnaces and water heaters.

·Charcoal grills, natural gas or propane grills or heaters.

·Fireplaces and wood-burning stoves that have a blocked chimney or flue.

What can I do about CO?

·Protect yourself by installing a CO detector that is UL 2034 listed.

·Have your heating system, vents, chimney, and flue inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician.

If you think you may be in danger from CO poisoning, immediately get everyone out of the home or residence and call 911.

Recognize the causes and warning signs of Carbon monoxide poisoning and protect your loved ones from this "Silent Killer"!

Home | Dept. Info | History | News | Run Totals | Patches | Memorial | Fire Safety | Links
Station Map | Haz-Mat | Tactical Rescue | Swift Water Rescue
Photos | Videos