Crossfire Hill Colored Corriedales are purebred Corriedales. Our first breeding group was purchased from Rod and Eldora Porch. We have used rams from Joanne Lincoln, Robert Millikan, GO Corriedales, Bruce Hoffman and Gary Ricketts. We have added to the ewe flock with Mudge, GO, Sundown and Phillippi breeding. Our current colored rams are from Phillippi Corriedales, one is Phillippi breeding and one is King breeding. Our whites are from GO Corriedales (Hoffman/Sundown), Gary Ricketts (Ene/Ricketts) and a Homebred(GO/Phillippi).
Our goal is to produce a medium size Corriedale with good breed type, style and a beautiful handspinning fleece. Our fleeces grade in the 50's and low 60's-we are trying to retain the traditional corriedale lock in these fleeces regardless of grade
In addition to black lambs and an occasional grey lamb we have several interesting color patterns in our sheep. There are photos of these pattern on the pages:Corriedale Colors in Pictures
lateral stripes:dark belly, white markings on the face and lips.At birth, the body is either dark grey and black, or dark grey and light grey.
black and tan(formerly reverse badgerface):light belly and rear, white markings
on the face and lips. the body wool is solid black at birth.
english blue(formerlyblue):dark belly, white markings on the face and upper lip. The body wool is darker in front of the shoulders and lighter behind the shoulders.
many lambs have white spots and blazes on the head and face.
- corriedale ewes are excellent mothers,rarely needing lambing help, they work well in a pasture lambing program or in a traditional farm flock.
- corriedales are friendly easy to handle sheep, excellent for 4H projects or handspinner's pets
- corriedales flock-this trait makes them easy to handle as a group. it also means that one corriedale cannot be kept alone in a pen separate from the flock
- many corriedales lamb out of season-they can produce fall lambs for your show flock or out of season lambs that can take advantage of higher market prices-rams must be separated from the ewes if you don't want lambs at unpredictable times
- corriedales produce a medium fleece prized by handspinners and used commercially by mills such as Pendleton
- color is recessive in corriedales-if a colored ram is bred to a colored ewe the resulting lambs will be 100% colored. if a colored animal is bred to a white animal the resulting lambs will be white(carrying a recessive for color). if one of those white(carrying a recessive for color) lambs is bred to a colored animal the resulting lambs will be 50% colored and 50% white(carrying a colored recessive).
- corriedale market lambs can reach butcher weights when they are left with their mothers to run on good pasture or can be fed out for faster growth-they produce a medium sized carcass with a good meat to bone ratio
- corriedale butcher lambs are noted for their mild tasting, yet flavorful cuts of meat.
- corriedale rams usually do well run with other rams. because of the strong flocking instinct, one ram cannot be penned alone but needs a companion wether.
- corriedales are long lived-it is not unusual for them to lamb into their teens
Crossfire Hill Homepage
fleeces for sale
ordering fleeces/our awards
sheepskins for sale
corriedale colors in pictures:page 1