Site hosted by Build your free website today!


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I
 J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q
R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Gap  The distance the spark must travel in jumping from the centre electrode to the side electrode in a spark plug. Also refers to the spacing between the points in a contact breaker assembly in a conventional points-type ignition, or to the distance between the reluctor or rotor and the pickup coil in an electronic ignition.

Gasket   Any thin, soft material - usually cork, cardboard, asbestos or soft metal - installed between two metal surfaces to ensure a good seal. For instance, the cylinder head gasket seals the joint between the block and the cylinder head.

Gas Turbine  An internal-combustion rotating engine with one main moving part: the rotor with pinwheel-like blades attached. Air is compressed by the first rows of blades and delivered to the combustion chambers, from which the exhaust is directed to pass the remaining blades and to generate the power. Power is extremely smooth due to the absence of explosions and reciprocating parts.

Gauge  An instrument panel display used to monitor engine conditions. A gauge with a movable pointer on a dial or a fixed scale is an analogue gauge. A gauge with a numerical readout is called a digital gauge.

Gear Oil A thick lubricant, generally with an SAE number of 80 or above, used in standard transmissions or differentials. These often contain additives, such as an EP additive, to guard against being squeezed out from between gear teeth.

Gear Shift 

1. A floor- or steering-wheel-mounted lever used to manually change gears in the transmission.
2. A linkage-type mechanism by which the gears in a transmission are engaged.

Gears Wheels with meshing teeth to transmit power between rotating shafts. When the gear wheels are of different sizes, a change in speed ratio occurs. Gears are made of hard steel.

Glasspack Muffler  An absorption muffler that uses fiberglass as a sound-deadening material.

GPH   Abbreviation for gallons per hour. A measurement commonly used to indicate the flow rate of a fuel pump. See also LPH. Engines that have been modified to produce more horsepower may require a higher-flow fuel pump, as well as an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.


[1] A device designed to automatically control the speed or position of some part (i.e., engine speed or transmission speed). Governors are used to prevent an engine from exceeding its maximum rpms. They are also used on rental vehicles to prevent operators from speeding.

[2] A governor on the output shaft of a hydraulically controlled transmission converts line pressure into governor pressure. In electro-hydraulically controlled transmissions, the governor is replaced by a sensor.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Main Menu


Click the arrow above to go back where you just linked from


Contact Us

The objective of this Web Page is to familiarize you with basic auto maintenance
-  in some common emergencies -
not to make you an expert in auto mechanics

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms by clicking here. Below is a summary of some of the terms. If you do not agree to the full terms, do not use the information. We are only publishers of this material, not authors. Information may have errors or be outdated. Some information is from historical sources or represents opinions of the author. It is for research purposes only. The information is "AS IS", "WITH ALL FAULTS". User assumes all risk of use, damage, or injury. You agree that we have no liability for any damages. We are not liable for any consequential, incidental, indirect, or special damages. You indemnify us for claims caused by you.

  I am in no way, shape, or form telling you to do this yourself. Your results may vary. If something goes wrong, it is not my fault!
These are just guidelines.

Copyright © 2000 Jon's

Images, Inc. All rights reserved