Since the break-up of the Soviet Union and the emergence of Boris Yeltsin as head of the Russian state, Jefferson State has received quite a few Russian students as well as students from former Soviet areas such as Ukraine, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, and Kyrgyzstan. This page concentrates on the Russian Federation, commonly known as Russia. The links are chosen to make it possible for you to get an impression of what Russia is like today.
- Russia Home Page. This site is a very good collection of information and links.
- The History of Russia from Ancient times to the Soviet Era. A very readable overview.
- Dreaming of Russia. A searchable index of photos of contemporary Moscow, Kiev, and other places.
- The Saint Petersburg Times. This is probably the best English language Russian newspaper on the Internet.
- Russia Today. This is also a good English language source of daily news from Russia, and there is a LiveCam at this site.
- The State of Contemporary Russian Cinema. Don't forget that the Russians make a lot of movies. This site discusses some movies made in Russia on contemporary themes such as the War with Chechnya.
- Russian Matrimonial Ads. Russian women don't seem to mind advertising for husbands. There are many such sites as this one, but this one -- chosen at random -- will give you a good idea of a typically Russian style of finding a mate. It will also give you an idea of what people look like in that part of the world.
- Russian Humor. Here is a collection of some of the most popular Russian jokes from the past twenty years. Some are so topical you won't understand them at all, but most of them are on familiar comic themes such as the cheerful moron and the mother-in-law.
- What Do Russians Eat? A tour of the cuisine of Russia. . .plus a lot of surprising great links.
Return to Home Page at https://www.angelfire.com/al/warrenorourke/index.html
Warren F. O'Rourke
Director of International Student Programs
Jefferson State Community College
2601 Carson Road
Birmingham, AL 35215
international faxes to (205) 815-8499
Sign Mister O's Guestbook
This page last revised on: November 23, 1999.