What Bangladesh Is Really Like
One day in November of 1999 I suddenly realized that Bangladesh sends many students to Jefferson State. I realized this because Tanzila Ahmed asked me why I had not yet created a Bangladesh site at "The World According to Mister O." That same day I was visited by four more students from Bangladesh. So, by popular request, here is a site designed to let you know what Bangladesh is really like.
Bangladesh is small, very densely populated, and very poor. From 1948 until about 1971, Bangladesh was a part of Pakistan. It was known then as East Pakistan. In Bangladesh, just providing food and shelter is a never-ending grind for most people.
The key word in Bangladesh nowadays is "hartal." A "hartal" is a nationwide work stoppage in protest of government policies. Often a "hartal" lasts for 24 hours, but there have been so many "hartals" in recent years that the overall economy of the nation has been affected as Opposition Leader Zia and Prime Minister Hasina (the daughter of the Father of the Nation Mujibur) struggle back and forth to place their parties in control of the nation. Both of these women seem to want the best for their country, but their party fights are a major factor in the weak economy of Bangladesh.
- The News From Bangladesh Probably the best source for English language news from Bangladesh.
- Basic Almanac of Information about Bangladesh This is an excellent site for factual information.
- Virtual Bangladesh Check this page for good links to almost any Bangladesh topic you can think of.
- Travel Pictures from Bangladesh Photos of Dhaka and other places in Bangladesh.
- The Constitution of Bangladesh
- The Family of Soccer Great, Arzoo Three or four decades ago one of the greatest Bangladeshi soccer players was Arzoo. This site is all about Arzoo, his son, and his grandson. The site also contains many great pictures.
- Rezwan's Home Page Here is the home page of a young man from Bangladesh who tells us about his love of cricket and Jaguars. This is a good site for you to get a feel for what educated Bangladeshi youth are like.
- The Religion of Islam Bangladesh is a Muslim country. This is the best site on the web to find out what Muslims believe.
Return to Home Page at https://www.angelfire.com/al/warrenorourke/index.html
Warren F. O'Rourke
Director of International Student Programs
Jefferson State Community College
2601 Carson Road
Birmingham, AL 35215
international faxes to (205) 815-8499
Sign Mister O's Guestbook
This page last revised on: November 23, 1999.