BARE-BONES GUIDE FOR A HP-42S CALCULATOR
RELEASE DATE: 9/5/037 DATE LAST REVISED: 9/4/07
This is a bare-bones guide to get someone started who has one of these calculators and doesn’t know which buttons to push. Sorry, you won’t find a thing about programming here.
First of all, let's look
at some of the functional keys.
A Few Words About RPN
(Reverse Polish Notation):
Doing a Few Problems
of Different Types:
2) 3 x 5: 3, ENTER, 5, x. Notice that ENTER is NOT pressed after that last number.
3) (7 + 5) ÷ (2 + 4): 7, ENTER, 5, +, 2, ENTER, 4, +, ÷ . You'll notice that you enter divide in the last step.
4) 42 : 4, ENTER, Red, x2 . You can use this same procedure of entering a number and then the function with many of the keys, including these: 1/x, √x, LOG, LN, 10x , ex , and others.
5) 25 : 2, ENTER, 5, yx .
6) √(-9) : 3,+/-, ENTER, √x . Notice that the answer is given as a complex number in rectangular form.
7) 6! (6 factorial): 6, ENTER, Red, PROB, N!
8) 6P3 (Permutations of 6 things taken 3 at a time): 6, ENTER, 3, Red, PROB , COMB. Other statistics are done in a similar way.
9) i98 : 1, Red, Complex, ENTER, 99, yx .
10) Determinant of a 2 x 2 Matrix 1 ,2, 3 ,4: Enter the dimension: 2, ENTER, 2, ENTER. Red, MATRIX, NEW. Enter data: 1, ENTER, XEQ, 2, ENTER, XEQ, 3, ENTER, XEQ, 4 ENTER, DET. There may be other ways to do this, but this will work for any matrix.
This is the basics. There are many other functions which should be become obvious if you understand the method used for these.