Here is a roast turkey recipe with stuffing that consists of matzo and sweet yams. Roast turkey is a popular main dish at the Passover / Pesach Seder table for Ashkenazim (Jews whose ancestors came from Central and/or Eastern Europe). There are many roasted turkey recipes, but the following roast turkey recipe - even with the matzo stuffing and sweet yams - is still a low-fat version.
Roast Turkey with Sweet Yam and Matzo Stuffing Recipe
1 whole turkey breast, fat removed
Sweet Yam and Matzo Stuffing
Instructions for the Roast Turkey with Sweet Yam and Matzo Stuffing recipe:
- Rinse breast with water, but do not dry.
- Season to taste, inside and outside, with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle with paprika for color.
- Place turkey breast on lightly oiled roasting rack, skin side up.
- Roast at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius or Centigrade) for 1 3/4 hours, or until golden brown and juices run clear when pierced with fork (170 degrees Fahrenheit or about 77 degrees Celsius or Centigrade on meat thermometer).
- Remove turkey from roasting pan.
- Cool about 30 minutes then remove skin.
- Slice and arrange on large platter.
- Surround with stuffing.
Nutrition Information Per 3.5-ounce Serving: Calories: 157; Protein: 30 grams; Carbohydrates: 0 grams; Fat: 3.2 grams (including 1 gram of Saturated Fat); Cholesterol: 69 milligrams.
Sweet Yam and Matzo Stuffing Recipe:
1 large onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
Nonfat Chicken Broth
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped peeled carrot
4 cups mashed cooked yams
4 cups broken-up matzo or matzo farfel
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
Instructions for the Sweet Yam and Matzo Stuffing recipe:
- Sauté onion and garlic in few tablespoons Nonfat Chicken Broth.
- Add celery and carrot and continue cooking until vegetables are tender and begin releasing own juices.
- Add more chicken broth if necessary.
- Turn heat off.
- Add yams and broken up matzo.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss lightly.
- Moisten well with chicken broth.
- Place in lightly oiled 13x9-inch (33.02-centimeter-by-22.86-centimeter) oven-proof dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade) about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut stuffing into 16 pieces.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories: 106; Protein: 2.5 grams; Carbohydrates: 22.3 grams; Fat: 1.06 grams (including 0.02 grams of Saturated Fat); Cholesterol: 0.06 milligrams.
Nonfat Chicken Broth Recipe:
1 whole chicken, skin and fat removed
3 carrots, chopped
Top half of 1 bunch celery, leaves included, chopped
1 large onion, quartered
Several sprigs parsley
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
12 to 15 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
Salt or lemon juice
Instructions for the Nonfat Chicken Broth recipe:
- Combine chicken, carrots, celery, onion, parsley, parsnip, peppercorn and bay leaf in large pot.
- Add cold water to cover.
- Slowly bring to boil.
- Skim off any scum that forms.
- Cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Add salt or lemon juice to taste.
- Remove chicken and reserve for another use.
- Strain vegetables from broth.
- Place broth in refrigerator overnight or longer, so any remaining fat rises to top and hardens.
- Just before using, remove hardened fat.
- Reheat broth for ease of measuring.
- Use for soup, in place of oil, any time sautéing, or for liquid in stuffing, etc.
Nutrition Information Per Cup: Approximately 15 to 20 calories.