A crepe recipe for the Passover / Pesach festival - like most other crepe recipes - can be heavy on the fat. However, the following crepe recipe keeps the fat down by using low-fat milk. The following recipe for crepes is also adapted for the Passover / Pesach festival by substituting matzo cake meal for flour.
Passover Crêpes Recipe
1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
3 extra-large eggs
1 1/2 cups matzo cake meal
3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
Instructions for the Passover CrÍpes recipe:
- Blend milk, eggs and salt in blender container until well mixed.
- Stir matzo cake meal into blender container, then buzz until smooth.
- Measure 2 tablespoons melted butter; add to blender container.
- Buzz to mix.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Buzz again.
- Heat one or two 7- or 8-inch (17.78-centimeter or 20.32-centimeter) nonstick skillets over medium heat.
- Dip paper towel in remaining melted butter and rub skillet(s).
- Pour enough batter into skillet to coat evenly, when skillet is rotated.
- Cook over medium heat until crêpe begins to dry at edge and forms bubbles in the middle, about 45 seconds.
- Loosen edges with thin-blade spatula, lift carefully and turn.
- Cook 20-30 seconds on second side, then slide onto plate.
- Repeat, greasing skillet each time, until all batter is used.
- Use immediately, or stack crêpes, cover and refrigerate.
Makes 8 - 10 8-inch (or 20.32-centimeter) crêpes.
Note: Most people don't go through this particular recipe process without breaking a crêpe or two, so count on breaking one or two crêpes while you are mastering the process.