William and Catherine Glass Piatt
William Piatt, the basketmaker, was born about 1790 in Virginia and died after 1850 in Crawford County, Missouri. He married in Ohio (or Indiana) in about 1812 (or 1814), as his first wife, Catherine Glass who was born c1794. William migrated to Ohio prior to 1820, and later lived in Indiana and Tennesee before moving to Crawford County, Missouri.
The known children of William and Catherine Piatt:
- Benjamin Piatt b: c1813 Clark County, OH d: 1853 Crawford Co, MO m: 19 Aug 1833 Putnam County, IN, Avis Eggers
- Mary Piatt b: 1815 m: 28 Dec 1841 Crawford Co, MO, William Eggers
- Sarah Piatt b: 1817 m: 4 May 1842 Crawford Co, MO, David Callahan
- John Piatt b: 1822 IN m: 20 Dec 1841 Crawford Co, MO, Sarah 'Sally' Eggers b: c1815
- Elijah Piatt b: 1823 in Ohio d: ? m: 11 May 1854 Crawford Co, MO, Avis Eggers Pyeatt (widow of his brother Benjamin)
- James Glass Pyatt b: March 2, 1824, in Clark Co, OH d: 7 Sep 1910 Pike Twp, Carter Co, MO (buried Fremont, Carter Co, MO) m1: June 11, 1846, in Crawford, Co, MO Rachel Miller
- Elizabeth Piatt b: 1831 m: 1 Sep 1846 Crawford Co, MO, Charles M Miller b: c1829 d: c1865 (s/o James Charles Miller and Amanda Pyatt)
- James Celop Miller
- Sarah C Miller
- Mary Ann Miller
- Charles M Miller
David F Miller
- William Jackson Miller
- Martha Miller
The book 'Index to New Jersey Wills, 1689-1890, by Ronald Vern Jackson shows Glass families in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic and Warren Co in NJ, with the earliest being James Glass whose will was probated in Essex Co, NJ, in 1819.
William and Catherine Piatt are found on the 1820 census of Clark County, Ohio, along with John Piatt. Around 1841 William had moved to Crawford County, Missouri. William married second Elizabeth Bennett on January 3, 1850, in Crawford County. A possible year of birth for Elizabeth is 1816 in Tennessee and she appears to have been a widow with children. The last known record of William Piatt is on the 1850 census of District 24, Crawford County, MO, where he appears as follows:
A few inconsistencies in this enumeration can be put down to the handwriting and the use of only first initials for all enumerations. This appears to be William Piatt with wife, Elizabeth, age 34 and her children from a previous marriage.
- Piatt, W (looks like 'M') age 60 born VA / male / Basketmaker / cannot read/write
- Piatt, C (is this supposed to be an 'E'?) age 34 born TN / female
- Piatt, J age 11 born TN / male
- Bennett, J age 7 born PA / male
- Bennett, E age 4 born MO / male (this family enumerated #606/606 page 232 printed upper right (ancestry image 89/146) enumerator used initials only)
The parents of William are not known at this time but he was born at such a time that he cannot be far removed from his probable ancestry in New Jersey. The names William and Benjamin are oft used among Piatt families, and as such, only further the confusion. Anyone who can shed light on William's parentage, please reply.