James F and Lucinda Jean Alford Pyeatt
James F Pyeatt was born June 10, 1861 (some researchers have 10 Jun 1862 or 1860 or 1863) in Rio Vista, Johnson County, Texas to John H and Sara A Maxwell Pyeatt and died in 1928 (some researchers have 5 Dec 1931 although his headstone disputes that date). He married c1898 (probably Johnson County, Texas) Lucinda Jean Alford who was born May 1878 in Georgia. James and Lucy are buried in the Grange Hall Cemetery in Johnson County, Texas.
The inscription reading from the double headston at Grange Hall Cemetery shows:
- Pyeatt, J. F. 1860 1928 / Pyeatt, Lucinda J. 1877 1965 Mama
Note that the year of 1860 disagrees with the 1900 census entry for James and the the 1877 for Lucinda disagrees with her census entry. The census entries and their current ages on the census appear to be accurate. However, on second inspection, all of the headstones for persons in this enumeration district (different cemeteries) seem to be off by one year. So, I'm beginning to think the census taker was using the wrong year.
The known children of James and Lucy were:
- Ethel Pyeatt b: Sep 1899 (probably Johnson Co) TX m: Cloyed Strange
- Rosie Nell Pyeatt b: c1904 TX m: Jim Baldwin
- James Henry Pyeatt b: c1906 TX m: Anna ?
I find James and Lucy on the 1900 census in Justice Precinct 2, Johnson County, Texas, as follows:
- Pyeatt, James F born Jun 1861 TX age 38 / mwm / married 2 yrs / father/mother born AR
- Pyeatt, Lucy (wife) born May 1878 GA / mwf / married 2 yrs / 1 child/1 living / father/mother born GA
- Pyeatt, Ethel (daughter) born Sep 1899 TX age ?8/12 / swf / father born TX/mother born GA
This family was enumerated #289/301 pg 164b. Living at #288 was James' mother, Sarah Pyeatt, with one of his brothers, Edward Pyeatt and his family. At #290 was his brother, Benjamin A Pyeatt, and his family. On the next page at #297 was his brother, Finis Ewing Pyeatt. Neighbors were ?Chapin, Sarrah J Pyeatt, Ben J Pyeatt, Bryant Horry, John Sanders, Robert Gatewood, Harry Gatewood, William Bailey, and Joe Lacewell.
By the 1910 census the family was still in Precinct 2, Johnson County, Texas, and appeared as follows:
Pyeatt, Jim F (indexed as 'Sim T Pyeatt') age ?49 born TX / mwm / married1 for 12 yrs / father born TX/mother born GA Pyeatt, Lucindy Jane (wife) age 32 born GA / mwf / married1 for 12 yrs / father/mother born GA Pyeatt, Ethel M (daughter) age 10 born TX / swf / father born TX/mother born GA Pyeatt, Rosy Nell (daughter) age 6 born TX / swf / father born TX/mother born GA Pyeatt, James Henry (son) age 4 born TX / swm / father born TX/mother born GA
This family was enumerated #6/9 pg 177a next door to James' brother, Benjamin A Pyeatt. Neighbors were Carl ?Jernigan, J Edwards, Jack Grant, Thomas Sligh, Joe Stiger, Ben A Pyeatt, and ?Treas ?Wad)
Updated Mar 2010
- 1900-1910 Johnson Co, TX, census
- Grange Hall Cemetery inscriptions
- Info from Leslie Day firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to John H and Sara A Maxwell Pyeatt