Finis E and Francis E Sly/Sligh Pyeatt
Finis Ewing Pyeatt was born May 14, 1854, in Arkansas (probably at Cane Hill, Washington County,) to John H and Sara A Maxwell Pyeatt and died February 4, 1925. He is buried in Burkburnett Cemetery, Burkburnett, Wichita County, Texas. He married on May 2, 1878, Eliza[beth] Frances "Frannie" Slegh who was born March 6, 1854 in Arkansas and who died April 14, 1940. Frannie is also buried in the Burkburnett Cemetery.
I did a search for Frances/Frannie on the 1860 census using her age range and sex with no matches. I also used just Slegh/Sligh/Sly without finding a match.
The known children of Finis and Fannie were:
- John Solomon Pyeatt b: Nov 1880 (probably Johnson Co) TX m: 2 Dec 1905 Rio Vista, Johnson Co, TX, Mattie Lacewell
- Earl Pyeatt b: 15 Dec 1885 (probably Johnson Co, TX) d: 9 Nov 1889 (probably Johnson Co, TX)(buried Grange Hall Cemetery, Johnson Co, TX 'aged 3 yrs, 10 mos, 24 days son of F. E. & E. F.')
- Leonard E Pyeatt b: 10 Apr 1889 (probably Johnson Co) TX d: 29 Apr 1968 Los Angeles Co, CA (SSN 455-09-3230 issued Texas; mother name given as 'Sleigh') [Lived in Torrence, CA in 1952]
- Wade H Pyeatt b: Feb 24, 1892 (probably Johnson Co, TX) d: Nov 10, 1896 (probably Johnson Co, TX)(buried Grange Hall Cemetery, Johnson Co, TX, 'son of F. E. & E. F.')
I find Finis and Fannie on the 1900 census in Justice Precinct 2, Johnson County, Texas, as follows:
- Pyeatt, Finnis born May 1854 AR age 46 / mwm / married 22 yrs / father/mother born AR
- Pyeatt, Fannie (wife) born Mar 1854 AR age 46 / mwf / married 22 yrs / 4 children/2 living / father/mother born AL
- Pyeatt, John T (son) born Nov 1880 TX age 19 / swm / father/mother born AR
- Pyeatt, Lenard (son) born Apr 1889 TX age 11 / swm / father/mother born AR
- Killough, Della (adopted) born Aug 1892 TX age 7 / swf / father/mother born TN
This family was enumerated #297/309 on pg 165. Enumerated on pg 164b was Finis' mother at #288 with his brother, Edward Pyeatt, and his wife and child. At #289 was his brother, James F Pyeatt and family and at #290 was his brother, Benjamin A/J Pyeatt and family. Their neighbors were ? Lacewell, Charles Alford, William J Pateet, ? Weems, Bosk? Kizzier, Sam D Payne, and George Smith.
On the 1910 census Finis was in Precinct 2, Scurry County, Texas (?Fluonam ('not incorporated')):
This family was enumerated #22/23 and 22/24 on page 48. Neighbors were Edward Boles, A Johson, Charles McLane, Lee ?Shrable, Francis Tidwell, Herbert Logan, Thomas Logan, Elbert Brynton, and Spencer Smith.
- Pyeatte, Finis E age 55 born AR / mwm / married1 for 31 yrs / father/mother born AR
- Pyeatte, Eliza F age 56 born AL / mwf / married1 for 31 yrs / 5 children/4 living / father born NC/mother born SC
- ?Lunham, High age 58 born MO / mwm / married1 for 21 yrs / father/mother born IL
- ?Lunham, Florence age 41 born AL / mwf / married1 for 21 yrs / (blank on children) / father born AL/mother born GA
Frannie's obituary appeared as follows:
L. E. Pyeatt's Mother Buried In Monday Rites
Funeral rites for Mrs. Eliza Frances Pyeatt, 86, mother of L. E. Pyeatt, were held Monday afternoon from the Methodist Church in Megargel. Mrs. Pyeatt died Sunday morning at the home of a son near Megargel. Rev. John W. Polk, pastor, officiated at the services. Immediately following the rites the body
was taken overland by McCracken Funeral Home to Burkburnett cemetery. Pallbearers were six grandsons, Melvin and Allen Pyeatt of Olney, J. E. Pyeatt of Kilgore, Homer Pyeatt of Stamford, T.E. Pyeatt of Big Spring
and Aubrey Pyeatt of Breckenridge. Mrs. Pyeatt was the widow of the late F. E. Pyeatt of Burkburnett. Since his death 15 years ago she has resided in Megargel.
Survivors are two sons, J. S. Pyeatt of Megargel and L. E. Pyeatt of Olney; 11 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Attending the Megargel services were Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Pyeatt, Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Dennis, Mr. and
Mrs. J. A. Doyle, Mrs. W. B. Gegg of Farmer, Mrs. J. K. Luton, Allen Pyeatt, Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Kimberlin, Mrs. Doyle St. John and Mrs. Fred Harwell, all of Olney; Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Pyeatt and daughter of Breckenridge, Miss Helen Corley, Texas Wesleyan College student in Fort Worth; Mr. and Mrs. Homer Pyeatt of Stamford, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Pyeatt and children of Kilgore,
Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Pyeatt of Big Spring. All of the out-of-town relatives returned to their respective homes following the services.
Updated Aug 2012
- 1900 Johnson Co, TX, census
- Grange Hall Cemetery Inscriptions
- Burkburnett Cemetery Inscriptions
- 1910 Scurry Co, TX, census
- Obituary of Eliza Frances Pyeatt
Back to John H and Sara A Maxwell Pyeatt