During the oil boom, enrollment in high school continued
to increase and congestion in the old six-room high school
building became acute. Bonds were voted in 1921 to build a
new high school building. A collapse of the bond market
slowed the sale of the bonds but on April 10, 1922, the
contract was let for the construction of the new high
school near downtown Ranger which was occupied in the
spring of 1923. The school building even had a cafeteria
on the ground floor which later closed and became the
Home Economic room.
Operation of this high school continued until the mid-1970s
when it was determined that it would be more economical
to scrap the old system and build a new one with all grades
essentially under one roof. A school bond election was
called and plans were made to build a new and modern school
complex located east of town. The work was completed in time
for the Class of 1978 to graduate from the new facility.
Demolition of the old Ranger High School was done in 1978.
Before it was torn down, the band hall building next to it
was moved to the new campus and used as a weight room.
Ranger High School in the 1940s
Demolition of old Ranger High School
Ranger Schools (present)