Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Chapter 7
To Chapter [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

The team of Maverick hunters headed for the location of the missing motorcycle. "Zero must have taken it." Protoman said. "We tracked the bike... we'll find Zero."

"We're here." Amp announced as the troop of trucks stopped. X and the others quickly got out of the vehicle. There was nothing special about the structure, but it was clear where they were.

"Maverick Fortress." X stood still for a moment and stared up at the building.

"Looks like we hit the jackpot, X." Protoman commented. "And here comes the welcoming wagon."

A line of Mavericks emerged from the surrounding bushes and fired a storm of lasers at the hunters.

"X." Protoman said as everyone took cover behind the cars. "You go in and find Zero, while we draw their fire. Take Amp with you." X was about to leave when Protoman stopped him for one last word. "X, if Zero is Maverick, you know what to do."

X solemnly nodded and dashed to the side of the Maverick Fortress, with Amp following close behind. X found a small window and peered in.

"Sensors show that there's no one inside. And it's some kind of laboratory." Amp said.

"I can't believe it's not guarded." X said suspiciously. "But it's the only way in. Let's go." X opened the window and climbed inside. X had a feeling that something was wrong... there is no way Sigma would let the two of them in this easily.

"Hello, X." A dark voice greeted them. Amp and X turned to see Sigma and the usual Maverick group not far behind. "I can't say it's nice to see you again."

"Where is Zero?" X demanded.

"Zero, why don't you come out and say hello to your ex-friends." Zero slowly walked out from the shadows, head bowed and eyes closed.

"It's Zero!" Amp gasped.

"Say hello to X and his little friend, would you Zero?" Sigma politely asked. "And then say goodbye."

Zero opened his eyes and at that moment, X knew that Zero was okay. "That look in his eyes." X thought. Zero gave him the usual supportive look that is Zero's signature. That same cocky "I'll take care of things" look.

Zero leaped out, Z-Saber drawn and posed to strike X down, but at the last second, he flung a smoke bomb at Sigma and crew.

"Out! Quick!" Zero barked. And crashed through the window. X and Amp followed, slightly confused.

"Zero," X said as they ran together, "You are okay, right?"

"Of course I am, X." Zero replied. "I tricked Sigma into thinking I was on their side, so I could find out about their next move." Zero laughed. "Did you see that look on Sigma's face when I threw that smoke bomb at them? Things like that keeps me warm on cold nights. Pure hilarity."

***********************************************************

Even after the smoke cleared, one could see that something was still burning at Maverick Fortress.

"VILE!" Sigma screamed. "Kindly tell me what just happened here."

"I," Vile stammered, "I have no idea, sir. I was sure we infected Zero with the Maverick Virus. He couldn't have gotten around it!"

"Well, then give me a rational explanation of what happened other than Zero getting around the virus."

"Heh, heh, heh." Cyber Peacock snickered on the side. "Finally, some else gets yelled at."

"I want to find out what the hell went wrong." Sigma said as he pounded on the wall. "Or it's going to be one of you who ends up at the junk yard, got it?"

Everyone present swallowed hard.

"Now, devise some way to get Zero back. If SOMEONE--." Sigma glared at Vile. " --Doesn't screw up again, we might have a chance to get Zero back."

***********************************************************

"Zero!" Dr. Cain exclaimed. "You're back."

"Yep." Zero said. " I also found out about Sigma's next target."

"But Zero," Dr. Cain interrupted, "I have contacted the other scientists and it seems that you were once a Maverick."

Protoman and X both studied Zero's every move. Protoman, of course, got ready for a sudden attack by Zero, while X waited for the Red Hunter to say something reassuring to clear any doubts.

"That was a long time ago." Zero said. "Take Sigma, he was a Hunter. Well now he is a Maverick. It's the same with me, only the other way around."

"It's good to hear that you're back Zero." X said. "You got us all worried there."

"Had to do that, X, or else Sigma wouldn't have been dumb enough to invite me in."

"Zero," Protoman inquired, "Just what did they do to you while you were there?"

"Protoman!" X said. "We've all had a long day, let's just go to bed and devise a plan to stop Sigma tomorrow."

"I agree." Dr. Cain said. "I'm beat. And you three probably need a visit to the recharging bay. After the skirmish with Sigma, you've probably used up your energy reserve."

Protoman relented. "Let's go." X, Protoman and Zero exited Cain's lab and headed for the elevators.

"I'm going to bed first." X announced. "I'll just recharge tomorrow. I'll see you guys in the morning." X said as he took off for his quarters.

"Good night." Protoman and Zero said simultaneously. During the elevator ride, neither reploid said a thing. At the recharging bay, things were no different. The only thing that could be heard was the clanking of equipment as each setup their recharge booths.

Protoman kept his eyes on the other reploid, with a sense of distrust. Any big movement by Zero would catch Protoman's full attention. Despite what X or Dr. Cain said, Protoman still didn't trust Zero.

Protoman's recharging finished before Zero's. He got up from the booth and stared at Zero again. The other reploid had his eyes closed as he recharged. Protoman walked over to Zero's recharge booth, just as the latter opened his eyes.

"Protoman?"

"You know, Zero." Protoman said. "I didn't trust you when you first started acting strangely. After the entire fiasco with Sigma and you being a Maverick, I trust you even less."

"Ex-Maverick. I'm a Hunter now."

"Hard to tell which side you're on, pal. With you running off to the enemy fortress, wrecking your room and everything."

"Protoman, what's your problem?" Zero started to get annoyed.

"The problem is that I wouldn't trust you to go get a cup of coffee, but I have to trust you with my brother's life. But hear this: You hurt my brother or any of the other Hunters in any way, I will have personally hunt you down and dismantle you piece by piece." Protoman gave Zero one last hard look before leaving the recharge room.

[PREVIOUS] [CHAPTER 7] [Next Chapter]
[HOME]