County was formed in 1847 from Kanawha, Cabell, and Logan Counties,
Virginia. The county was named for Daniel Boone, a noted hunter and
explorer, who made his home in the Great Kanawha Valley from 1788 to
Although Boone County was named for
the great American frontiersman, it was another explorer, John Peter
Salley, who had a more significant impact on what was to become Boone
County. In 1742, while on an exploring trip, Salley and companions
discovered coal near the present day community of Peytona. The discovery
of coal has played a vital role in fueling the steel mills and power
plants of the United States, and remains the backbone of Boone County's
economy. In pioneer days, a small log courthouse was constructed when
the county seat was known as Ballardsville. That name source was St.
Clair Ballard, a Virginia legislator. It was through his efforts that
the county was named for Daniel Boone. Boone had rescued Ballard's
mother from the Indians and reared her as his own child. Ballardsville
was torched by Union soldiers during the Civil War but citizens rebuilt
it near the old site. In 1865, a courthouse was constructed from brick.
That structure was condemned in 1913, and the foundation of the present
courthouse was begun a year later. The present courthouse, constructed
of Indiana limestone, was completed in 1921. The exterior is very
impressive and the edifice is on the National Register of Historic
Information courtesy of "http://www.boonecountywv.org"