|The Greek islands||Leros HOME||Leros Hotels||Leros Beaches||Leros History||Leros Sights||Restaurants||Leros Car Rental|
|The sights on the island of Leros|
Lakki with its art deco buildings. At the harbourfront there is a monument in memory of the sinking of a Greek marine-ship after a bombardment by the Germans in the Second Word War on the 26th of September 1942. In Lakki there is also the Church of St. John the Evangelist (Aghios Ioannis Theologos), one of the most interesting of its kind in the whole of the Dodecanese, with some beautiful mosaics from the 11th century. In Lakki is also the warmuseum.
Platanos - Aghia Marina - Panteli. The Brouzi fortres, build on the remains of an antique city that was once situated in the mouth of the bay where Agia Marina is.
Partheni, close to the airport, where they believe there was once a temple of Diana (Artemis). Lots still have to be escavated here.
The Paleokastro: this is the oldest castle in the history of Leros and it is situated on the top of a hill near Xirokambos. The Church of Panagia (The Holy Virgin Maria), is inside the fortres, and derives from the 4th century AD. On a later date the church has been renovated. The stones at the north side of the fortres are square and weigh about kilo each.
The Church of Agios Isidoros in the Bay of Gourna, that is standing in the sea.