A fruit cake recipe (or fruitcake recipe) for the Passover / Pesach festival? All I can say is: Oy. Whether you spell it fruit cake or fruitcake, this fruit cake recipe for the Passover / Pesach festival is a special recipe for breakfast during the Passover / Pesach festival.
The following recipe for fruit cake (or recipe for fruitcake) complies with the Kosher for Passover dietary laws by substituting matzo cake meal for the flour. This fruit cake is one of many breakfast recipes that can also be served for lunch during the Passover / Pesach festival.
Passover Fruitcake Recipe (Active Work Time: 35 minutes; Total Preparation Time: 2 hours)
1 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 cups toasted walnut pieces
1 1/2 cups whole almonds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or nondairy margarine, melted
3/4 cup matzo cake meal
2 cups dried apricots, quartered
1 tablespoon potato starch
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups pitted dates, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions for the Passover Fruitcake recipe:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade).
- Spread the almonds in a baking pan and toast until light brown, shaking the pan once or twice, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius or Centigrade).
- Brush a 9 x 5-inch (22.86 centimeter x 12.70 centimeter) loaf pan with the melted butter and line with parchment paper.
- Combine the dates, apricots, raisins, almonds and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Combine the cake meal, sugar and potato starch and mix well.
- Add the fruit mixture and mix evenly.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla to blend, then stir into the fruit mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly, pressing the batter into the corners of the pan.
- Bake the cake until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn out of the pan. Peel off the paper and let cool on the rack.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and foil.
- Refrigerate the cake at least 1 day or up to 2 months.
- To serve, place the cake on a wooden board and cut into thin slices with a serrated knife.
Makes 12 slices.
Each slice contains the following: Calories: 495; Sodium: 26 milligrams; Cholesterol: 57 milligrams; Fat: 22 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Carbohydrates: 72 grams; Protein: 11 grams; Fiber: 7.55 grams.