Try this chocolate chiffon cake recipe for the Passover / Pesach festival! The following recipe for chocolate chiffon cake is one of several dessert recipes that can be served at the Passover / Pesach Seder meal or for any other dinner meal during the Passover / Pesach festival.
Passover Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe (Preparation Time: 30 minutes; Baking Time: 1 hour)
1/2 cup sifted Passover cocoa
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup boiling water
10 egg whites left at room temperature for 30 minutes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup sifted matzo cake meal
1/4 cup sifted potato starch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 egg yolks left at room temperature for 30 minutes
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Passover peanut oil
3 1/2 oz. (100 grams) Passover bittersweet chocolate bar
2 teaspoons Passover peanut oil
3 1/2 oz. (100 grams) Passover Choco Blanc
Instructions for the Passover Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade).
- In a small bowl combine cocoa, sugar and boiling water. Stir until smooth and then cool.
- In a large mixer bowl with electric mixer on low speed, beat egg whites and salt. Increase speed to high and when very foamy gradually add 1/4 cup sugar. Beat 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form and ridges appear on whites.
- In another mixer bowl, sift together cake meal, potato starch and 1/2 cup sugar. Make a cavity in the centre of the mixture and add egg yolks, water and oil; stir. Add cooled cocoa mixture; stir with a spoon to blend. Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Take a rubber spatula and carefully fold cocoa mixture into egg whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-inch (25.40 centimeters) tube pan with a removable bottom.
- Cut through batter with a spatula to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
- Invert pan on to a low can and let hang for 30 minutes to cool before removing cake.
For the Garnish:
- To make garnish, break bittersweet chocolate bar into pieces and place in top of double boiler.
- Melt over hot, not boiling, water or place in a microwave-safe dish and heat in a microwave oven on High (100 per cent power) for 2 minutes.
- Stir, then add oil and mix to combine.
- Using a swivel-bladed potato peeler, shave the narrow edge of the Passover Choco Blanc (white chocolate bar with almonds) to form short curls.
- Pour bittersweet chocolate over top of cake making a circle.
- Immediately sprinkle a quarter of the white chocolate curls over the bittersweet chocolate.
- Reserve remaining curls for other desserts.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.