By Linda Durr Rudd
Union Church Presbyterian Church
Union Church, Jefferson County, MS
Jimes was the first servant member mentioned in the records of Union Church. Jimes was a servant of Neil Buie, admitted September 24, 1824 by profession.
Peggy or Margaret, a servant of John Watson, was admitted to the church June 3, 1827, baptism on June 04, 1827.
Lisa, daughter of Jim Buie an African, was born March 02, 1826 and baptized June 28, 1829.
Peter, son of said Jim was born October 19, 1827 and baptized June 28, 1829.
Candice, a black African child of Peter, was baptized November 1832.
Uriah, a servant of D. Buie and Susan a servant of Gilbert Buie, Jr. were received as members and baptized on October 21, 1832.
Judy and Violet servants of William Montgomery and Charlot a servant of J. McCutchy were received as members and baptized on November 17, 1833.
Henson a servant of G. Buie, Jr., Abraham a servant of N. Buie and Dice a maid servant of N. Buie were received as members and baptized on May 13, 1834.
James an African child baptized June 07, 1835.
Alfa an African child baptized November 1836.
Peter an African was received and baptized as a member on November 13, 1836. Peter was the servant of C. McDougald.
Susannah an African child whose parents are church members was baptized May 21, 1837.
Hampton a servant of Mr. Kelly was received and baptized on July 02, 1837. The Session had the consent and recommendation of his Master.
Jude and Violet servants of Rev. William Montgomery, Charlote a servant of Mr. J. McClutchie were dismissed from Union Church to join Ebernzer Church on February 24th 1839. All three were admitted to the church November 17, 1833 by profession.
Watt a servant of John Mitchell was received and baptized on January 27, 1840.
Atty, an infant slave was baptized May 17th 1840.
Sopha a Negro child baptized September 22, 1844.
Ellen an African child baptized June 06, 1847.
Peter was admitted as a member October 07, 1850
Manuel, an African child was baptized April 20, 1851. Parents nor owner was named for Manuel.
Flora and Jane were admitted to the church May 22, 1852.
Flora's owner was Mrs. Batey. Flora was baptized on May 02 or May 22, 1852.
Jane was baptized on April 15, 1852 or May 22, 1852. Jane's owner was Gilbert M. Buie.
Sarah Ann, Hannah and Roda were admitted to the church and baptized on October 9, 1853.
Sarah's owner was Gilbert M. Buie.
Hannah's owner was C. McLean.
Roda's owner was Gilbert M. Buie
Selia Ann, Violet, Adam, John, Perry, Eliza, William, Augusta, Ally, Synthia/Cynthia, Edny Catherine, Lilly, Caroline, and Candice were received and baptized November 20, 1853.
Selia's owner was Gilbert M. Buie.
There is no information concerning Violet's baptism nor the name of her owner. On the April 04, 1857 membership list, Violet is listed as deceased.
Adam's owner was Gilbert M. Buie.
John's owner was Gilbert M. Buie.
Perry's owner was Gilbert M. Buie.
Eliza's owner was D. Gillis.
William's owner was J. J. Mitchell.
Augusta's owner was J. J. Mitchell. On the April 04, 1857 membership list, Augusta was dismissed as a member to Bensalem Presbyterian Church.
Ally's owner was J. J. Mitchell.
Synthia/Cynthia's owner was J. J. Mitchell.
Edny's owner was J. J. Mitchell.
Lilly's owner was J. J. Mitchell. According to the Membership list of April 04, 1853, Lilly was transferred to the Bensalem Presbyterian Church.
Caroline's owner was J. J. Mitchell.
Candice's owner was J. J. Mitchell.
Levi, Peter, Fanny, Mary, and Isom were received as members on December 04, 1853.
Levi was baptized on February 05, 1854. Levi's owner was Mr. Marshall.
Peter was baptized on February 05, 1854. Peter's owner was Mr. Marshall. Peter died in 1857.
Fanny was baptized on February 05, 1854. Fanny's owner was Mr. Marshall.
Mary was baptized on February 05, 1854. Mary's owner was Mr. Marshall.
Isom's owner was Mr. Brown. A baptismal date was not given for Isom.
Nelly was accepted as a member March 14, 1858. A baptismal date was not recorded. Nelly died January 1859. Nelly's owner was W. R. Newman.
Fanny, Jane, Daniel, Isom, Margaret, and Rebecca were accepted as members and baptized on August or September 11, 1859.
Fanny's owner was Mrs. Buckels.
Jane's owner was John Torrey.
Daniel's owner was John L. Scott.
Isom's owner was W. R. Newman.
Margaret's owner was W. R. Newman.
Rebecca's owner was W. R. Newman.
Henson and Lang's child named Philip was baptized August 30, 1859. Henson was named as a member on the April 04, 1857 list. Lang is not mention anywhere else in the church records. Owners were not named.
Martha, Dick and William were accepted as members and were baptized on October 30, 1859.
Martha was owned by D. G. Buie.
Dick was owned by Gilbert M. Buie.
William was owned by L. B. McLaurin.
Ben, Nann and Eliza were received as members and baptized January 08, 1860.
Ben was owned by John Torrey.
Nann was owned by D. G. Buie.
Eliza was owned by D.? Gillis.
Letha, Betsy, and Andrew were received as members and baptized May 13, 1860.
Letha was owned by John Torrey.
Betsy was owned by William Shaw.
Andrew was owned by Margaret McLaurin.
Church, Cloah and Priscilla were received as members and baptized August 26, 1860.
Church was owned by H. J. Fairley.
Cloah was owned by Mary Fairley.
Priscilla was owned by W. R. Newman.
Jack, Cyrus, Henry, Scott, Martha, and Vina were received as members and baptized September 09, 1860.
Jack, Cyrus and Henry were owned by W. R. Newman.
Scott was owned by J. N. McDonald.
Martha was owned by William Shaw.
Vina was owned by Mrs. A. Garrett.
Julia Ann, Piny and James were received as members on January 27, 1861 and they were baptized on March 10, 1861.
Julia Ann was owned by Edward McClucthie.
Piny was owned by I. N. Buie.
James was owned by William R. Newman.
Nanna, Violet, Ann, and Sylvia were received as members and baptized March 10, 1861.
Nanna was owned by H. J. Fairly
Violet was owned by J. McDonald
Ann was owned by John Torrey.
Sylvia's owner was William ?.
George was received as a member and baptized October 11, 1863. George was owned by John L. Scott.
Milly and Celia were received as members and baptized October 12, 1863.
Milly's owner was R. D. Torrey.
Celia's owner was Sterling Cato.
Perry, a servant of R. M. Buie appeared before the session and made acknowledgement of past unfaithfulness. Appearing repentant and having no sentence of punishment against him, he was admonished against backsliding in the future.
Amanda and Martha Ann were received as members and baptized July 24, 1864.
Amanda's owner was D. Hoffheimer.
Martha Ann's owner was Mrs. C. Jennings.
Fannie was received as a member and baptized July 25, 1864. Fannie was owned by Mrs. Jennings.
Perry was received as a member October 23, 1864. Perry's owner was Malcolm Wilkinson. According to the records, Perry was the last servant received as a member.
Mingo and Wate were named as members with no additional information.
The word DECEASED was written next to the following names with no date as when death occurred: Violet, Betsy, Andrew, Piny and Celia.
Hickory Block United Methodist Church's History
Hickory Block Cemetery
Photos of Hickory Block Church Cemetery
Union Church Presbyterian Church
NEW - Union Church Presbyterian Church Session Records 1820-1887 - BOOK
Remembering Their Names