William C and Mary Ann Williams Pyatt
William Caleb 'Bud' Pyatt was born September 4, 1847, (or Sept 1846) in Crawford County, Missouri, (or Phelps County, Missouri) to James Glass Piatt and Rachel Miller and died March 8, 1903, near Salem, Missouri. He is buried in the Stagner Cemetery, Dent County, Missouri. William's family was in Crawford County, Missouri, for most of his youth. He was still with his parents on the 1860 census in Crawford County, Missouri.
William C Pyatt was married January 28, 1869, in Texas County, Missouri to Mary Ann Williams who was born November 19, 1848 in Kentucky. Incidentally, that was less than a month before his father married Mary A Honeycutt in the same County.
The known children of William and Mary:
- Philip A Pyatt b: 31 May 1871 MO d: 16 Jun 1895 (thrown from horse while going to church meeting 23 1/2 miles SE of Salem when horse ran against a tree)
- Emmaline Pyatt b: 4 Apr 1873 Dent Co, MO d: 7 Dec 1961 Salem (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO) m1: 13 Aug 1891 Dent Co, MO, William Warren Cox (s/o Thomas and Caroline Cox) b: 8 Jan 1868 d: 19 Dec 1916 (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO)
- Alpha Cox b: 7 Sep 1894 Dent Co, MO d: 22 Aug 1967 m1: Alphus Gearhart m2: Joseph Coleman
- Richard Gearhart
- Hilda May Gearhart
- Howard Gearhart
- Delma Gearhart m: Smith Wofford
- Clifford Cox b: 1900 d: 1901
- Mervin Cox b: 1907 d: 1917
- Lura Cox m: Herbert Stephens
- Clara Cox m: Clifford Gaines
- Troy Cox m: Ollie Wright
- Sterling Cox b: 29 Jul 1904 d: 20 Feb 1981 m: 13 Oct 1928 Daisy Callahan b: 12 Apr 1909 Salem (d/o Isaac and Susie Barnes Callahan) d: 13 Mar 1966 St Louis, St Louis, Co, MO
- Bryon Cox
- Charaleen Cox m: Kenneth Mills (moved to St Louis)
- Earl Cox m: Nancy Pearl Shelton
- William Pyatt b: c1875 MO
- Albert E Pyatt b: 10 Apr 1877 Dent Co, MO d: 17 Sep 1900 Dent Co, MO (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO)
- Lula M Pyatt b: Mar 1879 Dent Co, MO m: Spurgeon Bryant (lived Franklin Twp, Dent Co, MO)
- Laura E Pyatt b: 27 Jan 1881 Dent Co, MO d: 27 Sep 1901 Dent Co, MO (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO)
- Alva P Pyatt b: 12 Jun 1883 Dent Co, MO d: 28 Jun 1899 Dent Co, MO (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO)
- Mary Ellen 'Mollie' Pyatt b: 15 Mar 1885 Dent Co, MO d: 7 Feb 1907 Dent Co, MO (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO)
- Fred Pyatt b: 8 Jul 1888 Dent Co, MO d: 16 Apr 1906 Dent Co, MO (Stagner Cemetery, Dent Co, MO)
- Taylor Pyatt m: girl from NY
According to Stagner Cemetery information, these children mostly died of Tuberculosis.
While they married in 1869 in Texas County, we find William and Mary living in Emminence, Spring Valley Township, Shannon County, Missouri on the 1870 census as follows:
- Pyatt, William age 22 born MO / wm / Farmer / $200/$250
- Pyatt, Mary age 21 born MO / wf / Keeping House
This family was enumerated #20/19 Pg 667. At #19 was William's father and stepmother with five of his siblings. At #18 was his sister, Sarah Piatt Chilton, and her family and at #23 his brother, John Pyatt.
William had moved on to Franklin Township, Dent County, Missouri, on the 1880 census as follows:
- Pyatt, William C age 33 born MO / WM / Married / Farmer / father born IN/mother born NC
- Pyatt, Mary A (Wife)age 32 born KY / WF / Married / Keeping House / father/mother born KY
- Pyatt, Philip A (Son) age 9 born MO / WM / Single / father born MO/mother born KY
- Pyatt, Emoline (Daughter) age 7 born MO / WF / Single / father born MO/ mother born KY
- Pyatt, William (Son) age 5 born MO / WM / Single / father born MO/mother born KY
Pyatt, Albert E (Son) age 3 born MO / WM / Single / father born MO/mother born KY
- Pyatt, Lula M (Daughter) age 1 born MO / WF / Single / father born MO/mother born KY
This abstract was taken from familysearch.org;no page # available. Most of the family had also relocated. Also in Franklin Township were his father and stepmother with his youngest siblings and half-siblings, and his brothers, James G Pyatt Jr and Samuel Pleasant Pyatt.
Of note, descendants of Benjamin Piatt, the brother of James Glass Pyeatt lived in Dent County, Missouri. Is this how these families came to move here?
The following birth record is recorded in Dent County, Missouri:
Name: Piatt, Mary Ellen (female) County: Dent DOB: March 15, 1885 Father: William C Piatt Mother: Mary Ann Williams
On the 1900 census of District 12, Franklin Township, Dent County, Missouri, they appeared as follows:
- Piatt, William age 53 born Sep 1846 MO / wm / married 31 yrs / farmer / father born OH/mother born NC
- Piatt, Mary (wife) age 51 born Nov 1848 KY / wf / married 31 yrs / 9 children/7 living / father born TN/mother born VA
- Piatt, Albert (son) age 23 born Apr 1877 MO / wm / single / farmer / father born MO/mother born KY
- Piatt, Luly (daughter) age 21 born Mar 1879 MO / wf / single / father born MO/mother born KY
- Piatt, Laura (daughter) age 19 born Jan 1881 MO / wf / single / father born MO/mother born KY
- Piatt, Mary (daughter) age 15 born Mar 1885 MO / wf / single / at school / father born MO/mother born KY
- Piatt, Fred (son) age 11 born Jul 1889 MO / wm / single / at school / father born MO/mother born KY
- Piatt, James (father) age 75 born Mar 1825 OH / wm / widowed / father/mother born VA
This family was enumerated #104/104 pg 13B (Ancestry.com image 12/39). William's brother, James Pyatt, and family were at #139/139 pg 15B and his brother, Samuel P Pyatt, had moved to Newton Township, Shannon County, Missouri. James G Pyatt lived with daughter and son-in-law, Sarah Elizabeth Pyatt and William Chilton, by the 1910 census and died soon thereafter.
These inscriptions are for Stagner Cemetery, Dent County, Missouri. I am not sure where the biographical information came from - looks to be obituaries:
Coleman, Alpha Gearhart 9/7/1894 Dent Co to 9/22/1967, nee Cox, d/o William & Emaline nee Piatt; 1st md. Alphus Gearhart 6/17/1911, ch.: Richard & Hilda May d. young, Howard, & Delma (Mrs. Smith Wofford); md. Joseph Coleman, step-mother of Virgil Coleman & Mrs. Donald Wood; lived New Hope Community, member Jadwin Church of Christ
Cox, William Warren 1/8/1868 - 12/19/1916, s/o Thomas & Caroline; md Emmaline Piatt, 8/13/1891, 8 ch.: Clifford & Mervin d. young, Alpha (Mrs. Alphus Gearhart later Mrs. Joe Coleman), Lura (Mrs. Herbert Stephens), Clara (Mrs. Clifford Gaines), Troy (md. Ollie Wright), Sterling, & Earl (md. Nancy Pearl Shelton); farmer south of Salem
Cox, Emmaline w/o William W. 4/4/1873, Dent Co. to 12/7/1961, Salem, nee Piatt d/o William C. & Mary A. nee Williams; Cumberland Presbyterian
Cox, Clifford s/o Wm. W. & Emmaline 1900-1901
Cox, Mervin s/o Wm. W. & Emmaline 1907 - 1917
Cox, Sterling B 7/29/1904 to 2/20/1981, s/o Wm W. & Emmaline; md. Daisy Callahan, 10/13/1928, 2 ch.: Bryon & Charaleen (m. Kenneth Mills); moved to St. Louis.
Cox, Daisy w/o Sterling 4/12/1909, Salem - 3/13/1966, St. Louis, nee Callahan, d/o Isaac & Susie nee Barnes; member Tower Grove Baptist, St. Louis
Piatt, William C "BUD" 9/4/1847 - 3/8/1903; md. Mary A. Williams, ch.: Philip A., Alva P., Albert E., Laura E., Fred, & Mary E. - all died young, mostly with TB; Taylor (Cannon City, CO, m. girl from NY), Emeline (Mrs. William W. Cox), Lula M. (Mrs. Spurgeon Bryant); lived Franklin Twn., Dent Co.
Piatt, Mary A w/o William C., nee Williams; b. 11/19/1848; had sister, Summersville.
Piatt, Philip A s/o W.C. & Mary A. 5/31/1871 - 6/16/1895 when thrown from horse while going to church meeting 23 1/2 miles SE of Salem when horse ran against a tree.
Piatt, Alva P s/o W.C. & Mary A. 6/12/1883 - 6//28/1899
Piatt, Albert E s/o W.C. & Mary A. 4/10/1877 - 9/17/1900
Piatt, Fred s/o W.C. & Mary A. 7/8/1888 - 4/16/1906
Piatt, Laura E d/o W.C. & Mary A. 1/27/1887 - 9/27/1901
Piatt, Mary "Mollie" E d/o W.C. & Mary A. 3/18/1885 - 2/7/1907
Piatt, Benjamon s/o J.G. & M.A. 2/11/1879 - 6/6/1896
- James Glass Pyatt sources on his page
- 1870 Shannon Co, MO, federal census
- 1880/1900 Dent Co, MO federal census
- 1910 Carter County, MO federal census
- Stagner Cemetery inscriptions
Updated Jun 2005
Back to Home
Back to James Glass Pyatt