Jacob and Margaret Jane Ellison Pyeatt
Jacob Pyeatt (see photos) was born May 5, 1849, in Ohio to Jacob and Elizabeth Stewart Pyeatt and died July 28, 1922, in Lenora, Dewey County, Oklahoma. He is buried in the Raymond Cemetery in Dewey County, Oklahoma. Jacob moved to Illinois with his parents and later to Missouri. He married in Perry Co, Illinois, May 21, 1874, (vol B pg 24 license #915) Margaret Jane 'Jennie' Ellison who was born May 3, 1851, in Aimesville, Ohio, and died October 26, 1936, in Lenora, Dewey County, Oklahoma.
Jacob and Margaret had the following children:
In 1899 he and his family came to Oklahoma and took a homestead near Lenora, where he lived until 1920. His family (and that of son Dwight) appeared as follows on the 1920 Dewey County, Oklahoma federal census:
- Robert Pyeatt b&d: Feb 2, 1875
- Nellie Pyeatt b: Mar 5, 1876 DuQoin, Perry Co, IL d: Oct 21, 1967 Woodward, Woodward Co, OK (buried Raymond Cemetery, Dewey Co, OK) m: John Holmes b: Nov 10, 1874 Moultrie Co, IL d: Oct 17, 1917 Harper Co, OK (Click to see photos)(buried Raymond Cemetery, Dewey Co, OK)
- Dwight Pyeatt b: Sep 18, 1881 St Clair Co, MO d: Jan 14, 1962 Camargo, Dewey Co, OK (buried Camargo Cemetery, Dewey Co, OK) m: Sep 17, 1919 Evaline Snodgrass b: Dec 17, 1883 Hot Sprgs, AR d: Mar 4, 1967 Okl City, OK (buried Camargo Cemetery, Dewey Co, OK)
- Jennie Pyeatt b: Aug 18, 1883 St Clair Co, MO d: Jul 22, 1962 Seiling, Dewey Co, OK (never married; buried Raymond Cemetery, Dewey Co, OK)
During 1917-1918, Jacob and Margaret's daughter, Nellie, and her two daughters Nora and Audrey lived with Jacob and his family (which, at that time, also included son Dwight) after the death of Nellie's husband.
- Pyeatt, Jacob age 70 born IL
- Pyeatt, Margrett J (wife) age 68 born OH
- Pyeatt, Jennie (daughter) age 25 born MO (this family enumerated 24/217/1/60)
- Pyeatt, Dwight age 38 born MO
- Pyeatt, Everline (wife) age 36 AR (this family enumerated 24/217/1/63)
After 1920, Jacob then moved to Lenora, Oklahoma, where he died two years later at the age of 73 years, 2 months and 23 days.
His obituary reads as follows: "Jacob Pyeatt was one of ten children born to Jacob and Elizabeth Pyeatt. He was born in Ohio May 5th, 1849. He with his parents moved to Illinois and later to Missouri. In 1899 he and his family came to Oklahoma and took a homestead near Lenora, where he lived until two years ago he moved to Lenora. He was married to Margaret Jane Ellison on May 21st., 1874. To this union were born four children, Robert, who died in infancy, Nellie, Dwight, and Jennie. He
departed this life July 28th 1822, age 73 years, 2 months and 23 days. He is survived by his wife and three children, Mrs. Nellie Holmes, Dwight Pyeatt and Jennie Pyeatt, one brother, Thomas Pyeatt of Lemhi, Idaho; two grand children, Nora and Audrey Holmes, besides many other relatives and friends. The funeral services were held by Rev. J. S. Smith at the home in Lenora, July 29, 1922, and the remains were laid to rest in the Raymond Cemetery.
On the 1930 census of Haddon, Dewey County, Oklahoma, Margaret and Jennie appeared as follows:
Margaret died in 1936 and her obituary reads as follows: "Margaret Jane Ellison Pyeatt, the eldest daughter of Henrietta and William Ellison, was born at Amesville, Ohio, May 3, 1851. While still a child, she and her parents moved to Illinois. In 1874 she was married to Jacob Pyeatt, and to this union were born, Robert who died in infancy, Nellie, Dwight and Jennie. She with her family moved to Ohio, Missouri and lived there for nineteen years before they came to Dewey County, Oklahoma in 1899, and resided on their farm near Lenora, Oklahoma for sixteen years, since then living at Lenora, where her husband died in 1922. She departed this life October 26, 1936, aged 85 years, 5 months and 23 days. Four brothers preceded her in death. She leaves to mourn her departure, one son, Dwight, and his wife, Evaline; two daughters, Mrs Nellie Holmes and Jennie Pyeatt; three granddaughters, two great-grandchildren; two brothers Theodore Ellison and Charles Ellison of Preston, Kansas; three sisters, Mrs Mary Keith of Fairview, Okla., Mrs. Orlinda Williams and Mrs.
Sarah Hickman of Lenora, Okla., and many other relatives and a host of friends. Her life was a shining example of kindness, love and patience and will always remain bright in our memories. Adieu, dear ones, I have waited long / To hear the message that calls me home / And now it comes like a low sweet song / Of welcome over the river's foam. And my heart shall / ache and my feet shall roam / No more, no more; I am going home. Home, where no / storm, where no tempest raves, / In the light of calm, eternal day / Where no willows weep over lonely graves /
Where the tears from eyelids are wiped away. And my soul shall sigh, and my feet shall roam / No more, no more; I am going home.
- Pyeatt, Margaret J age 78 born Ohio
- Pyeatt, Jennie (dau) age 46 (from index only)
Oklahoma - Dewey County - Camargo Cemetery
Pyeatt, Dwight 1881 - 1962
Pyeatt, Evaline 1883 - 1967
Oklahoma - Dewey County - Raymond Cemetery
Holmes, John 10 Nov 1874 to 17 Oct 1917
Holmes, Nellie 05 Mar 1876 to 21 Oct 1967
Pyeatt, Jacob 05 May 1849 to Jul 28 1922
Pyeatt, Margaret J 03 May 1851 to 26 Oct 1936 02-27N
Pyeatt, 1883 to 1962 [My note: This is Jennie. MCP]
Updated May 2004
- Reeta Miller Martin firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1920 Dewey County, Oklahoma Federal Census
- Obituaries of Jacob Pyeatt and Margaret Jane Ellison Pyeatt
- Cemeteries of Dewey Co, OK
Back to Home
Back to Jacob and Elizabeth Stewart Pyeatt Page
To Nellie Pyeatt and John Holmes Page