James Andrew Piatt and Jemima Ford
James Andrew Piatt was born April 21, 1789, in Potter Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania to Abraham and Annabelle Andrews Piatt and died October 22, 1838, in Piatt County, Illinois. James' father died in 1791 when he was but a small boy and all his family removed to Ohio where Annabelle died in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio.
James married first on December 21, 1815, to Jemima Ford who was born January 10, 1792 and who died March 16, 1836. He married second on December 12, 1837, in Piatt County, Illinois, Mahala Oxley who was born May 8, 1801 in Kentucky and who died November 16, 1851. Piatt County, Illinois, is named for James Piatt.
The known children of James and Jemima were:
- William Hart Piatt b: 23 Oct 1816 VA d: 6 Nov 1906 m: 10 Apr 1838 Clarinda Marquiss b: c1819 Pickaway Co, OH (d/o Abraham and Elizabeth Barnes Marquiss
- John Piatt b: 13 Jun 1818 near Brooksville, Franklin Co, IN d: 13 Aug 1904 m: 4 Sep 1846 Eliza J Lowry b: 1 Feb 1827 IL d: Nov 1914 (John was the first sheriff of Piatt Co, IL)
- James Andrew Piatt b: 1821 IN d: 1873 (of a brain fever) m: 17 Jan 1849 Piatt Co, IL, Catharine Bryden b: c1826 in Nova Scotia d: 1893 (this couple went to California in 1852)
- Annabella A Piatt b: c1824 IN m: Daniel Strickle (or Strickler) b: 1818 KY (first mayor of Monticello, Piatt Co, IL)
- Charles M Strickle b: c1843 IL
Susan M Strickle b: c1846 IL
- Richard P Strickle b: c1849 IL
- Jemima Ford Stickle b: c1853 IL
- Annie C Stickle b: c1858 IL
- Nellie Stickle b: c1862 IL
- Kate Stickle b: c1865 IL
- Noah Noble Piatt b: 24 Feb 1828 Monticello, Piatt Co, IL d: 28 May 1903 CA (buried Hamilton, Kansas)
m1: 12 Apr 1855 Piatt Co, IL, Hannah R Phillips b: c1829 OH d: bef 1868 m2: 31 Dec 1868 Piatt Co, IL, Olive Bryden
- Jacob Piatt b: 17 Feb 1831 IL d: bef 1877 m: 1 Mar 1853 (probably Cincinnati, OH) Mary A Hubbell b: 1835 OH (m2: 13 Dec 1877 Piatt Co, IL, Robert Harvey Benson b: c1821 OH)
- Richard Ford Piatt
James is probably the James A Piatt who was enumerated on the 1820 census in Brookville, Franklin County, Indiana. I do not have the actual abstract, only the index listing.
He is probably the James A Piatt in Macon County, Illinois on the 1830 census of which I also only have the index listing.
I do not find a listing for James' widow on the 1840 census. I was told this is because Mahala went back to Macon County, Illinois, for the birth of their daughter, Mary Jane. This is borne out by later census entries. In DeWitt County, Illinois, were a William H Piatt and John Piat which may be this family.
The known child of James and Mahala was as follows:
- Mary Jane Piatt b: 1839 d: 1911 m: 5 Jun 1860 Piatt Co, IL, William Bryden d: 1866
Many of James' family lived in various households on the 1850 census of Monticello (or West Side of Sangamon River), Piatt County, Illinois:
- William Bryden
This family enumerated 4th Dec 1850 #2198/2250 on pg 16 (ancestry 3/4). Neighbors were #2194 George & Hannah Boyer, #2195 J C & R M Johnson, #2196 John D & Jane Moodey, #2197 Isaac & Jane Raney, #2199 Daniel & Anna Stickler, #2200 Joseph A & Elizabeth Key.
- Piatt, Mahala age 46 born KY / male (s/b female) / no occupation listed / $2000
- Piatt, Mary J age 11 born IL / female / att school
This family was enumerated 4th Dec 1850 #2199/2251 on pg 16 (ancestry 3/4). Neighbors were #2194 George & Hannah Boyer, #2195 J C & R M Johnson, #2196 John D & Jane Moodey, #2197 Isaac & Jane Raney, #2198 Mahala Piatt, #2200 Joseph A & Elizabeth Key.
- Stickler, Daniel age 34 born PA / male / merchant / $3000
- Stickler, ?Anna A age 26 born IN / female
- Stickler, Chas W age 7 born IL / male / att school
- Stickler, Susan M age 4 born IL / female / att school
- Stickler, Richard P age 1 born IL / male
- Piatt, Jacob age 19 born IL / male / clerk / $1200
This family was enumerated #2063/2110. 2 names on each side of them are Wilson (Ohio) and Hubbart (Ohio).
- Piatt, Wm H age 34 / born VA / M / Farmer / $600
- Piatt, Clarinda age 31 / born OH / F
- Piatt, Jas age 11 / born IL / M
- Piatt, Abraham age 9 / born IL / M
- Piatt, Frances A age 7 / born IL / F
- Piatt, Charles age 3 / born IL / M
- Phillips, Hannah age 21 / born OH / F
- Piatt, John age 32 born ?IN / male / farmer / $3000
- Piatt, Eliza J age ?24 born IL / female
- Piatt, Elenor age 2 born IL / female
- Piatt, Wm M age 1 born / male
- Sisna, James age 26 born OH / male / laborer
- Bosher, Philip age 12 / born IL / M / Laborer
- Welch, Isaiah age 18 / born IL / M / Laborer
This family was enumerated 4th Dec 1850 #2209/2261 on pg 16 (ancestry image 4/4). Neighbors were #2205 Americus & Rebecca ?Doncorluss, #2206 Peter & Eliza Coil, #2207 Isaac & Anna Norris, #2208 Jacob & Elizabeth Coon.
This family was enumerated #2210/2262.
- Piatt, James A age 28 / born IN / M / Farmer / $4,000
- Piatt, Catharine age 24 / born Nova Scotia / F
- Piatt, Alace age 1 / born IL / F
- Tindsell, Alvin age 6 / born IL / M
Updated Mar 2008
- Piatt Family Newsletter, Volume 7, 1992
- Piatt Co, IL, records from
- 1850 Piatt Co, IL federal census
- 1880 Piatt Co, IL federal census
- Marriage records of Moultrie Co, IL
- Marriage records of Piatt Co, IL
- Biographical sketch of Jacob Piatt
Back to Home
Back to Abraham and Annabelle Andrews Piatt