The 84 and Early 85 engines are the least desirable among the 2.3T fans as they have pretty much the smaller everything. This is the shot of the original motor as it sits. It produces 175hp and is equipped with 30lb injectors, turbo intercooler, and single exhaust. A basic but effective motor.
This is what the engine has now
Here you can see the universal 6" K&N conical filter (RE-0930) attached to the Large VAM. It can be ordered at summit or possably through you local (good) car parts store average cost ($34-$50). The filter fits MUCH easier with the vam mount cut or use of a fabricated mount as i have here.
This is a shot of the stock 50mm throttle body, there are those who run 300 to 400hp or even more on this stock tbody. a second option is that some say it is worth the time and effort to port out the stock throttle body thus giving it more air.
This is option three. If anything the one with the most debate. It is adapting a 94-95 Mustang/Cobra 5.0 throttlebody. The Gt is a 60MM, the cobra is a 65MM. in order to adapt this option massive gutting is required to the upper intake to open it up for the newer tbody. To bolt it up there are two options drilling and taping the manifold for the new tbody, or, an adapter kit provived by Tiny avenger, this i what i did here. the kit includes the adaptor plates and a modified adaptor for the throttle linkage to sit right. The bennifit of uprading to a larger t-body is a large increase in throttle responce.
When /if upgrading the intake manifold from the 4 in-line to a 4 square manifold valve cover clearance is an issue. the best combination if you want to keep the stack valve cover is to use an 86 lower intake manifold out of an 86 svo, merkur, or TC, and the upper off of an 87-88 TC. also with the lower 86 manifold aquire the fuel rail as it can be used on the svo with no modifications. A second option is not using the stock valve cover and using an 87-88 TC or Merkur valve cover with the lower groove in the middle. I could not find either when i was in the middle of my project so i used a 1/2" birchwood spacer to help the 88 Turbo Coupe upper and lower intakes clear the valve cover. I bought a sheet from a lumber store for $22, laid down The gasket used between the manifold and carefully cut the wood exactlly to the gasket. Both manifolds were already ported to the gasket. Once finish an opoxy was put around the edge to seal any airleaks or imperfections in the wood.
since the svo did not come origionally with a water cooled turbo, some modifications had to be made. On the TC the water lines went into the plumbing of the oil cooler, and into the block neer the oil return line into the block. We decided it would be easier to work the water lines into the heater hoses. This is a photo of what the finished work looks like.