William Harris was born about 1754. He is the oldest of Isaac Harris's known children of six boys and two girls. John was next in line followed by Wooten, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Mary, Reuben and Zachariah. William married a woman named Ruth, and was in Rutherford County, North Carolina before October 13, 1783. On that date, William Harris was deeded 100 acres land on Cove Creek, a branch of Main Broad River,
by John Black. William's brother, Wooten Harris, was a witness to this deed. Many of the descendants of William Harris were supplied to me by Margie (Harris) Cox of Marion, North Carolina who is a descendant of his oldest son, Harbert Harris. She has done a monumental job of tracing Harbert Harris's numerous descendants.
According to the 1790 census, there were two males and three females in the William Harris family besides William and his wife. One of the females was their daughter, Sarah, who married Berry Jones July 4, 1808. The other two females are unidentified, but very likely are William's sisters, Elizabeth and Mary. The two sons were Harbert and Sims.
In 1800, William and his wife were both over age forty-five, and there were three males and one female age ten to sixteen, plus one male and three females under age ten. The three males and one female age ten to sixteen would be Harbert, Sarah, Sims, and William. (Note: In the 1850 census, William Harris's age was recorded as age fifty-nine; however, he was named as one of the administrators of his father's estate in October 1811 so he must have been at least twenty-one years of age before then). The one male and three females who were under age ten would be Mary, Rebecca, Benjamin, and Lenora. William Harris died in 1811, and when guardians were assigned to his minor children in 1815, Benjamin, Rebecca, and Lenora were over age fourteen, and Isaac and John were under age fourteen. Mary was not included so apparently she was over twenty-one years of age at that time.
The 1810 census of Rutherford County is said to contain a larger number of errors than any other early census. Some false reports were spread that caused many people to avoid the census taker and others to refuse to give information. This may explain the discrepancies found for the William Harris family in that census report. That year, William and his wife were both over age 45, and there were two males age sixteen to twenty-six, (Harbert and Sims). Sarah and William were married. Also, there was a male and female age ten to sixteen, and one male and two females under age ten. Benjamin and Lenora would have been between ten and sixteen, but Mary and Rebecca should have been over age ten not under, and there should have been two males under age ten - Isaac and John. (?)
William's wife, Ruth, may be surnamed Sellers. On January 3, 1983, I received a letter from Mr. Cedric Wilkerson who was a descendant of Moses and Rebecca (Sellers) Wilkerson. He sent information about a Ruth Sellers who married a William Harris. They were of the right time period and place to be our William Harris, and wife Ruth. When one considers the large number of marriages between Harris descendants and the Wilkerson family, this possibility seem more plausible.
Letters of Administration were obtained on William Harris's estate October 16, 1811 by his son, William Harris, Jr., and his son-in-law, Berry Jones, after his widow, Ruth, refused her right to administer. Ruth later (before July 1816) married Jonathan Curtis.
[In the family listings that follow, an asterisk (*) in front of a name indicates that person will later appear as head of a family.]
Children (All born in Rutherford, Co, NC, where their marriages also took place):
CHILDREN OF HARBERT HARRIS AND WIVES
- * Harbert HARRIS b abt 1786 (64-1850); m 1st Esther DORNBUSH, m 2nd Mary BRADLEY.
- Sarah HARRIS b abt 1788 (age 10/16 1800); m 4 Jul 1808 Berry JONES.
- Sims HARRIS b abt 1789 (10/16 1800).
- William HARRIS b abt 1790 (10/16 1800) (59-1850) (over age 21 on Oct 1811) m 22 Sep 1807 Martha NANNY.
- Mary HARRIS b abt 1793 (-10/1800) (over 21-1815); m 13 Oct 1818 John HUNTER.
- Rebecca HARRIS b abt 1795 (-10/1800) (over age 14-1815).
- Benjamin HARRIS b abt 1797 (-10-1800, over 14-1815, 53- 1850); m 15 Jan 1818 Fanny MITCHELL (b abt 1792 (58-1850) NC.
Child (See Haywood Co, NC 1850 Census):
- Elizabeth HARRIS b abt 1835 (15-1850) NC.
- Lenora HARRIS b abt 1799 (-10 1800) (over 14-1815); m 17 Oct 1820 Elisha GRAHAM.
- Isaac HARRIS b abt 1802 (-14 in 1815); m 1 Dec 1829, Haywood Co, NC, Sarah BECK.
- John HARRIS b abt 1804 (-14 in 1815; a minor in 1822, died before 1835 and his brothers and sisters inherited his share of his father's estate.
(1) ESTER DORNBUSH (2) MARY BRADLEY
(Child #1 of William Harris and Ruth)
Harbert Harris was age sixty-four when the 1850 census of Mc Dowell County, North Carolina was taken, and therefore was born about 1786. He was undoubtedly born on his father's farm in Montford's Cove, Rutherford County, North Carolina. After 1842, when Mc Dowell County was formed from Rutherford and Burke Counties, much of the Montford's Cove area including the Harris property was in the new county. Most of William Harris's children moved on to other areas. Only the descendants of Harbert Harris are known to have remained in the Rutherford County area over the years.
Harbert married his first wife, Ester Dornbush or Dornbach, January 9, 1818. They had six children who were all born before 1830, but only five have been identified. Two of his daughters were born before 1820. After his first wife died, Harbert married again. His second wife was Mary "Polly" Bradley, the daughter of Coleman Bradley. They had six children. We don't have the exact date of death for either of Harbert Harris's wives, but they were both buried in the old Harris Family Cemetery. Margie (Harris) Cox, who supplied most of the information on the descendants of her ancestor Harbert Harris, described this cemetery as being an "Old family cemetery on top of a hill on her father's farm - perhaps 20 graves, overgrown for years and marked only by field stones with no information about the individuals buried there."
Many of Harbert's descendants were buried in Montford's Cove Cemetery. Some were buried in Montford's Cove Baptist Church Cemetery. I'm not sure if these are two separate cemeteries or not. I was a little confused as to whether these cemeteries were in Rutherford County, or Mc Dowell County. Sometimes the record specifies that
Montford's Cove Cemetery was in Rutherford County, and sometimes Montford's Cove Baptist Church Cemetery was said to be in Rutherford County, also. Sometimes the cemetery is called Montford's Church Cemetery. If there are just two ceneteries involved, both seem to be in Rutherford County, North Carolina.
Children by Harbert's first wife, Ester Dornbush (All born at Montford's Cove, Rutherford [now Mc Dowell] Co, NC):
- * Sarah "Sally" HARRIS b 31 Mar 1818; m Solomon GEER.
- (daughter) HARRIS b abt 1819.
- * Nancy HARRIS b 14 Feb 1821; m Maynard GILLIAM.
- Elizabeth "Betsy" HARRIS b 11 Mar 1822 d 30 Oct 1904 Stokesville, NC; m 8 Oct 1845 Jonathan "Jolly" MORGAN (d 13 Mar 1893 Stokesville, NC, grandson of Perminter and Gracie [JONES] MORGAN), both bur Sugar Hill, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Harbert MORGAN b 1848; m Emma .
- John MORGAN b 1850.
- Calvin MORGAN b 9 Jan 1852 d 22 Oct 1890; m Mary PITTMAN.
- George A. MORGAN b 7 Nov 1853 d 17 Oct 1924; m Delilia WATKINS.
- William Perminter MORGAN 9 Sep 1857; m Dora Ella BROKAN.
- Rebecca MORGAN b 20 Mar 1860; m George CHANDLER
- Sarah Elizabeth MORGAN b 3 Jun 1864 d 13 Sep 1924; m William JONES.
- * William HARRIS b abt 1825 (25-1850); m Sallie WILKERSON.
- * John R. HARRIS b abt 1828 (22-1850); m Nancy HALL.
Children by Harbert's second wife, Mary "Polly" Bradley (All born at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now Mc Dowell)Co, NC):
CHILDREN OF SARAH HARRIS AND SOLOMON GEER
- * Sims HARRIS b 1 Nov 1831 d 24 Sep 1906; m Nancy HALL.
- * George Washington HARRIS b 31 Dec 1832; m 1st Almina Sophronia LEDBETTER, m 2nd Marcilla Angeline LEDBETTER.
- * Mary HARRIS b 11 Dec 1834; m 11 Aug 1858 Moses WILKERSON.
- * Zillah HARRIS b 18 Jul 1837; m 8 Feb 1855, O. Perry WILLIAMS.
- Harbert HARRIS, Jr. b 1839 d before 1866 bur Harris Family Cem, Mc Dowell Co, NC; m 7 Apr 1861 Nancy WILKERSON ([1846-1928] d/o Perminter and Winifred Louise [LEDBETTER] WILKERSON; no children. She m 2nd 21 Mar 1866 G. H. "Jack" FLYNN).
- * Coleman Bradley HARRIS b 31 Jul 1842, m Tempe E. LEDBETTER.
(Child #1 of Harbert Harris and Ester Dornbush)
Sarah "Sally" Harris was born March 31, 1818 at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now McDowell) County, North Carolina, and died January 11, 1892 in Rutherford County. She married Solomon Geer, son of John and Martha Geer, March 17, 1842 in Rutherford County. He was born August 11, 1817 in Rutherford County, and died August 20, 1888. They were both buried at Mt. Vernon Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
Children (They lived in the Cathey's Creek area of Rutherford County in 1850):
CHILDREN OF NANCY HARRIS AND MAYNARD GILLIAM
- Nancy GEER b abt 1843.
- Sarah GEER b abt 1845.
- Edmon GEER b abt 1849.
- George Washington GEER.
- Mattie GEER.
- Easter GEER.
- John Richard GEER b 6 Aug 1861; m Lula EDWARDS
- Mamie L. GEER b 21 Dec 1884; m Edgar MITCHEM.
- Mattie L. GEER b 17 Jan 1888; m Joe MORRIS.
- Corrie G. GEER b 3 Feb 1890; m John LONG.
- Addie H. GEER b 13 Apr 1892, d 30 Aug 1907.
- Effie J. GEER b 19 Feb 1894; m Loren JOHNSON.
- Nanie Ida GEER b 4 Feb 1896; m Max DOBBINS.
- Worth D. GEER b 16 Nov 1898; m Elsie JOHNSON.
- Elena H. GEER b 20 May 1902.
- Monie C. GEER b 20 Jun 1904; m Lloyd BLANTON.
- Jesse D. GEER b 13 Jul 1907; m Margie HAYNES.
- Alma G. GEER b 17 Jan 1910; m Charles SOUTHER
(Child #3 of Harbert Harris and Ester Dornbush)
Nancy Harris was born February 14, 1821 at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now McDowell) County, North Carolina, and died August 18, 1888. She married Maynard Gillaim, son of William and Sarah (Souther) Gilliam. He was born August 20, 1814, and died July 14, 1883. They were both buried in Bethlehem Cemetery, located between Sugar Hill, Rutherford County, and Old Fort, McDowell County, North Carolina.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM HOBERT GILLIAM AND EMILY MACKEY
- * William Hobert GILLIAM b 24 Apr 1847 d December 1, 1934; m Emily MACKEY
- John Harris GILLIAM b 13 Jan 1852 d 21 Feb 1931; m Alice LONDON.
- Alfred M. GILLIAM b 14 Nov 1854 d 19 Sep 1916; m Mary Ann LYTLE.
- John GILLIAM m Lillie PARKER of Gastonia, Gaston Co, NC.
- Will GILIAM m Jean CORN of Gastonia, Gaston Co, NC.
- Nancy GILLIAM m Sam BROWN of Gastonia, Gaston Co, NC.
- Mattie GILLIAM m ________ NESBITT of Gastonia, Gaston Co, NC.
- Martha G. GILLIAM b 21 Jun 1859 d 22 Aug 1927; m John TURNER.
- Garfield TURNER.
- Frank TURNER.
- James Young GILLIAM; m Maggie FORTUNE.
- Edwin GILLIAM
- Nolan GILLIAM
- Viola GILLIAM
- Walter GILLIAM
- Evelyn GILLIAM
- Margaret GILLIAM.
- John Mineyard GILLIAM; m Lillie PARKER.
- Irene GILLIAM b 12 Apr 1905.
- Nell GILLIAM b 10 Mar 1907.
- Ethel Mary GILLIAM b 20 Aug 1909
- Gertie GILLIAM.
(Child #1 of Nancy Harris and Maynard Gilliam)
William Hobert Gilliam was born April 24, 1847, and died December 1, 1934. He married Emily Mackey.
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM HARRIS AND SALLIE WILKERSON
- Lillie GILLIAM b 15 Aug 1871 d 30 Oct 1952; m Adolphus HENSLEY.
- Charlie GILLIAM b 28 Oct 1872 d 15 Apr 1940.
- Mollie GILLIAM b 1 Apr 1876 d 19 May 1899.
- Ella GILLIAM b 11 May 1878 d 2 Jan 1959.
- Nannie GILLIAM b 7 Jun 1880 d 7 Jun 1959.
- Maynard Alburtis GILLIAM b 12 Aug 1882 d 15 Sep 1963.
- Jordan J. GILLIAM b 3 Jun 1885 d 27 Nov 1959.
- Lucas Edgar GILLIAM b 17 Jul 1888 d 20 Apr 1954.
- Wilbur Landers GILLIAM b 15 May 1893 d 1978.
(Child #5 of Harbert Harris and Ester Dornbush)
William Harris was born about 1825 (age 25-1850 census) at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now Mc Dowell) County, North Carolina. He married Sallie Wilkerson, daughter of Jesse and Melinda (Elliott) Wilkerson, October 2, 1851. She was born March 24, 1834 in McDowell County, North Carolina, and died December 26, 1912. He was killed in the Civil War.
Children (All born at Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell Co, NC):
- Easter HARRIS b abt 1853 d before 1875; m George W. SELVEY.
- Sarah HARRIS b 19 Nov 1856 d 18 Sep 1909 Montford's Cove, McDowell Co, NC; m (after her sister's death) George W. SELVEY (b 10 Oct 1850 GA, d 18 Sep 1909 Mc Dowell Co, NC). Both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
Children: (Not listed in order of birth)
- Lula Melinda SELVEY b 4 Aug 1876, d 23 Mar 1959; m William Deaver HARRIS s/o Sims and Nancy (HALL) HARRIS. (See descendants under his name).
- Martha Etta SELVEY b 1 Mar 1878 d 6 Jan 1958; m Leonard A. BANNING.
- Lettie SELVEY; m Judd D. WILLIAMS, s/o Ruie and Pinkie WILLIAMS.
- John SELVEY b 21 Sep 1882 d 3 Aug 1909; m Stella FRAZIER.
- Eva SELVEY; m Mood F. EARLY
- Ima SELVEY; b 1891; m Joe SCROGGINS.
- Joe SELVEY; m Rena COFFEE
- Wash SELVEY; m Nettie Belle MARLOWE.
- Caroline HARRIS (1869-1894); m Leander Bufort HARRIS s/o Sims and Nancy (HALL) HARRIS (b 17 Mar 1869 d 14 Nov 1954); both "bur Montford's Cove Church Cem, Rutherford Co, NC"). (See decendants under his name).
- Nancy HARRIS; m William PAGET.
CHILDREN OF JOHN R. HARRIS SR., AND NANCY HALL
(Child #6 of Harbert Harris and Esther Dornbush)
John R. Harris, Sr., was born about 1828 (age 22-1850 census) at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now Mc Dowell) County, North Carolina. He married Nancy Hall, daughter of Macajah and Nancy (Wilkerson) Hall. She was born September 15, 1831 and died July 15, 1920. She was buried in Montford's Cove Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina. He was killed during the Civil War.
Children: (Born at Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell Co, NC)
CHILDREN OF SIMS HARRIS AND NANCY HALL
- Rebecca HARRIS b 4 Mar 1850 d 12 Jun 1935; m William NANNEY.
- Macajah Jay HARRIS b 7 May 1853 d 9 Feb 1938 Montford's Cove; m Marion Josephine LEDBETTER (b 7 May 1857 Montford's Cove, d October 30, 1944 Montford's Cove); both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- James HARRIS b 12 Nov 1877 d 22 Dec 1879.
- Otto HARRIS b 29 Apr 1880 d 27 Aug 1880.
- Jonathan Richard HARRIS b 19 Sep 1882 d 2 Nov 1973; m Mattie E. VESS.
- Ester Nancy Amanda HARRIS b 14 Mar 1894 d 15 Sep 1968; m Morris NANNEY (b 22 Mar 1891).
- William Govan HARRIS b 26 Nov 1855 d 15 Dec 1939; m 1st Mary Jane WILKERSON (b 21 Apr 1857, d 14 Aug 1898 d/o Moses and Rebecca [Hall] Wilkerson), m 2nd Sarah Lou HALL (b 16 Jan 1853 d 26 Mar 1950, no children).
Children by 1st wife:
- Cora L. HARRIS b 17 Sep 1879 d 4 Mar 1947; m Joshua NICHOLS (b 12 Sep 1875 d 9 Aug 1898).
- F. Verno HARRIS b 21 May 1881 d 15 Sep 1972; m 1st Marietta Rebecca WILKERSON, d/o Andrew and Sophia WILKERSON (b 18 Feb 1884 d 13 May 1913), m 2nd Pearl WILLIAMS b 3 Oct 1887 d 19 Jan 1934, d/o J. P. and Hester [BROWN] WILLIAMS), m 3rd Floy Lee WILLIAMS, sister of his 2nd wife, (b 11 Nov 1898 d 16 Jan 1938).
- Frances Maude HARRIS b 27 Mar 1888 d 10 Oct 1991.
- Caldonia HARRIS b 26 May 1858 d 10 Sep 1862.
- John R. HARRIS Jr. b 24 Jan 1860 d 10 Jul 1897; m Laura Lavine LEDBETTER (b 27 Feb 1874 "Montford's Cove on Grassy Creek," d 8 May 1941 Montford's Cove, d/o Dr. Johnston and Martha Amanda [RUCKER] LEDBETTER); both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Gertie HARRIS b 21 Oct 1890 d 25 Sep 1901.
- Daniel Thurston HARRIS b 23 Jun 1892 d 1 Jun 1919; m Nov 1911 Mamie Love JIMISON (b 17 Jun 1893 d 17 Apr 1923).
- Millard HARRIS b 20 Aug 1863 d 24 Mar 1924 Montford's Cove; m Annie Elizabeth KOONE (b 19 Feb 1879 "Montford's Cove," d 28 Sept 1979 Yanceyville, NC, d/o Grayson and Julie [CRAWFORD] KOONE); both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Ernest HARRIS b 1 Oct 1899 d 4 Jul 1900.
- Johnie Lee HARRIS b 21 Nov 1903 d 5 May 1919.
- Annie Sue HARRIS b 19 Feb 1906; m Edward G. COLE.
- Worth HARRIS b 22 Nov 1908; m Ruth DOGGATT.
- Delbert HARRIS b 9 Apr 1911; m Pauline BRIDGES.
(Child #1 of Harbert Harris and Mary Bradley)
Sims Harris was born November 1, 1831 at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now McDowell) County, North Carolina, and died September 24, 1906. He married Nancy Hall, daughter of Elijah and Anne (Wilkerson) Hall, February 24, 1859, Rutherford County, North Carolina. She was born September 13, 1840 at Montford's Cove, and died January 1, 1915. Both buried in Montford's Cove Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina. "Sims and wife, Nancy Hall lived in Montford's Cove. Their home stood in the pasture near the Earl Lytle homeplace."
Children (Born at Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell Co, NC):
CHILDREN OF ALFRED W. HARRIS AND IOWA MARLOWE
- * Alfred Washington HARRIS b 5 Oct 1866; m 29 Aug 1889 Iowa MARLOWE
- * Leander Buford HARRIS b 17 Mar 1869; m 1st Caroline HARRIS, m 2nd Susan Katherine HAMPTON.
- * William Deaver HARRIS b 30 May 1871; m Lula M. SELVEY.
- Almina Sophronia HARRIS b 23 Sep 1875 d 4 Apr 1943 Montforts Cove; m Ulysses Grant HARRIS (b 26 Dec 1868 d 4 Feb 1960 1960 Montford's Cove, s/o Coleman Bradley HARRIS and Tempe Elizabeth LEDBETTER), both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Elijah Hillard HARRIS b 16 May 1878 d 23 Feb 1956 died 17 Aug 1954; m Amy Lee DAVIS, both bur Pleasant Hill Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
(Child #1 of Sims Harris and Nancy Hall)
Alfred Washington HARRIS was born October 5, 1866, and died May 11, 1948. He married Iowa Marlowe, the daughter of I. J. and Martha Marlow, August 29, 1889. She was born June 16, 1871 and died January 31, 1941. They were both buried in the Pleasant Grove Methodist Church Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina. Their descendants live in Rutherford and Forrest City, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
CHILDREN OF LEANDER B. HARRIS AND WIVES
- Pleasly Braxton HARRIS b 7 Jun 1890 d 21 Jan 1892.
- Nannie Belle HARRIS b 10 Jan 1892 d 14 Jul 1977; m Robert BURGIN.
- Isaac Raleigh HARRIS b 28 Aug 1893 d 10 Nov 1968; m Detter Lee SISK.
- James Lonzo HARRIS b 15 Mar 1895 d 8 Jun 1975; m Lida or Lydia May HILL.
- Debbie L. HARRIS b 6 Oct 1896 d 28 Apr 1898.
- Melvin H. HARRIS b 16 Jun 1898 d 5 Oct 1966.
- Evie Lee HARRIS b 22 Feb 1900 d 5 Jan 1979; m Eddie Riley BAYNARD.
- Charles Sims HARRIS b 2 Mar 1902 d 8 Feb 1963; m Belle SISK.
- Rebecca Sue HARRIS b 3 Nov 1903 d 10 Mar 1936; m J. T. CROWE.
- Ernest Alfred HARRIS b 4 Nov 1905, m 1st Cora TESSNEAR, m 2nd Annie SISK.
- Ralph Forest HARRIS b 14 Jan 1908 d 20 Mar 1969; m Anna Lee CROTTS.
- Horace Lester HARRIS b 18 Nov 1909; m Ruth HOPPER.
- Myrtle Gertrude HARRIS b 15 Aug 1911 d 22 Jul 1913.
- Walter Carlos HARRIS b 14 Jul 1913; m Liddy Mae RADFORD.
- Sara Velma HARRIS b 18 Oct 1916 d 29 Jun 1969; m Japp JONAS.
(1) CAROLINE HARRIS (2) SUSAN K. HAMPTON
(Child #2 of Sims Harris and Nancy Hall)
Leander Buford Harris was born March 17, 1869 in the Otter Creek area of McDowell County, North Carolina, and died November 14, 1954 in Rutherford County, North Carolina. He married first, Caroline Harris (1869-1894), daughter of William Harris and Sallie Wilkerson. He was married a second time to Susan Katherine Hampton, daughter of Noah Hampton and Cynthia Susan Walker, November 24, 1895 at J. S. Hampton's home. She was born September 11, 1873 in Rutherford County, North Carolina, and died July 18, 1951 in Rutherford County, North Carolina. They were both buried in the Mt. Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
Child of first wife, Caroline HARRIS:
- Avery Young HARRIS b 6 Oct 1889; m 1st Mary SEARCY, d/o William and Mary Searcy, m 2nd Clara Sue BIGGERSTAFF.
Children of 2nd wife, Susan Katherine HAMPTON:
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM D. HARRIS AND LULA M. SELVEY
- Dovie Sue HARRIS b 1 Sep 1896, unmarried.
- Walker Hall HARRIS b 26 Mar 1898 d 18 Oct 1966; m Annie Mae WALKER.
- Nancy Estelle HARRIS b 10 Sep 1900 d 3 Jan 1956; m W. Quentin COLLINS.
- Katherine Irene HARRIS b 14 Mar 1903; m Walter Ray EARLEY
- Bertha Lee HARRIS b 21 Oct 1905 d 9 Jul 1906.
- Lloyd Buford HARRIS b 5 Nov 1906 16 Aug 1963; Carol COLE.
- Annie Gertrude HARRIS b 17 Aug 1909 d 11 Apr 1922 killed with a baseball.
- Roy Sims HARRIS b 5 Sep 1912 d 13 Feb 1973; m 1st Agnes COATES, m 2nd Cerelda LACKEY.
- Noah Wayne Thompson HARRIS b 23 Oct 1914; m Frances McBRIDE.
- John Hampton HARRIS b 4 Jan 1917; m Nettie Willard CARNELL.
(Child #3 of Sims Harris and Nancy Hall)
William Deaver Harris was born May 30, 1871, and died June 15, 1944. He married Lula Melinda Selvey, daughter of George and Sarah (Harris) Selvey. She was born August 4, 1876, and died March 23, 1959. Both were buried in the "Montford's Cove Cemetery."
CHILDREN OF GEORGE WASHINGTON HARRIS AND WIVES
- Duffy Freeman HARRIS b 22 Jan 1896 d 14 Apr 1921; unmd.
- Milliard William HARRIS b 17 Feb 1898 d 30 Apr 1967; m Cora FUNDERBURK.
- Jonas D. HARRIS b 13 May 1900 d 22 Aug 1942; unmd.
- Elsie Bly HARRIS b 5 May 1902; m Frank SHEHAN.
- Ella Lou HARRIS b 4 Jul 1904.
- Florence May HARRIS b 25 May 1906 d 3 Mar 1923.
- Burlin C. HARRIS b 18 May 1908; m Mitchell BRIGMAN.
(1) ALMINA S. LEDBETTER (2) MARCILLA A. LEDBETTER
(Child #2 of Harbert Harris and Mary Bradley)
George Washington Harris was born December 31, 1832 at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now Mc Dowell) County, North Carolina, and died December 29, 1879. He married first, Almina Sophronia Ledbetter, daughter of Jonathan and Nancy (Wells) Ledbetter. He was married a second time to Marcilla Angelina Ledbetter, sister of his first wife, November 7, 1859. Marcilla was born November 27, 1840 at Montford's Cove, and died February 21, 1911. They were both buried in Montford's Cove Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina. Marcilla married a second time to M. W. B. McIntire June 4, 1896, and later married a third husband, Isaac J. Marlowe. The record I received indicates that Bolo Washington Harris was born at Montford's Cove, but there is no indication of where the other children were born.
Child by first wife:
- * Elbridge Crayton HARRIS b 28 Jun 1859; m Martha WILKERSON.
Children by second wife:
CHILDREN OF ELBRIDGE C. HARRIS AND MARTHA L. WILKERSON
- Greenlee Webster HARRIS b 5 Aug 1860 d 11 Jan 1924; m 16 Dec 1885 Carrie Lee BIRD (b 14 Oct 1868 d 1 Feb 1948, d/o Richard Ivey and Mary [Koon] Bird), both bur Macedonia Baptist Church Cem, SC (just off I-85 between Cowpens and Gaffney, SC).
- James Samuel HARRIS b 17 Oct 1886 d 25 Oct 1972; m 1st 27 Dec 1911 Onnie Lee LINDER b 5 Nov 1891 d 6 Sep 1941), m 2nd Etha Mae JONES.
- Alice HARRIS b 27 May 1889; m 1st 15 Oct 1911 Edward Franklin VAUGHN (b 5 Oct 1882 d 7 Jul 1939 bur Phillipi Baptist Church, Union, SC), m 2nd Robert STATON.
- Alma Effie HARRIS b 25 Sep 1891 d 24 Jul 1964 Spartenburg Hospital, Spartenburg, SC, bur Spring Hill Memorial Gardens, Chessne, SC; m 7 Jun 1916 William Logan LEDFORD (bur Clifton Cem, Clifton, SC, s/o Alexander and Sarah [BRADLEY] LEDFORD, Sr).
- George Richard HARRIS b 6 Jan 1898 d 25 Jun 1938 Philippines during WWI.
- Mary Priscilla HARRIS b 22 Dec 1900 d 12 Mar 1943; m George Samuel DAVIS (b 15 May 1897 d 19 Jan 1928).
- Bulo Washington HARRIS b 28 Feb 1862 Montford's Cove, d Jan 1945; m 26 Jan 1888 Rebecca Lavina HALL (b 7 Jun 1867 Montford's Cove d 20 Dec 1958, d/o Joshua and Adeline [Flack] Hall); both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Allen B. HARRIS b 11 May 1889 d 24 Jul 1910.
- Ina HARRIS b 3 Jul 1891 d 9 Apr 1980; m Jonnie C. PARKER (b 9 May 1889 d 17 Dec 1965).
- Roland G. HARRIS b 22 Jul 1893 d 11 Jun 1929.
- Joshua Hall HARRIS b 14 Nov 1897 d 15 Jun 1972; m Mamie LAWING (b 19 Sep 1905).
- Louise HARRIS b 15 Apr 1900 d 9 Jan 1977; m Jerry Lonzo HENSLEY (b 6 Feb 1898 d 8 Oct 1970).
- William Mitchell HARRIS b 2 Feb 1865 d 21 Sep 1927 near Macon, GA; m Martha Caroline MARLOW, d/o Isaac James Marlow, Sr., and Rebecca E. HOGAN.
- Atley McKinley HARRIS b 2 Apr 1893 d 5 Nov 1965 near Macon, Georgia; m Callie M. (b 5 Feb 1897 d 27 Mar 1964).
- Eda Elizabeth HARRIS b 17 Sep 1894 d 4 Feb 1948; m 31 Oct 1911 Paul Eugene FOSTER, Sr. (b 1 Jun 1889 d 30 Jun 1965).
- Myrtle "Mattie" HARRIS b 10 Feb 1897 d 1904.
- Miles Eugene HARRIS (twin) b 5 Jul 1899 d 25 May 1978; m Evie F. CROSBY.
- Bertha Ioma HARRIS (twin) b 5 Jul 1899 d 12 Sep 1979; m Jack HUBBARD.
- Charles Isaac HARRIS b 20 Jun 1905 d 28 Aug 1948; m Mae DYKES.
- Edmond Sensbo HARRIS, b 21 Apr 1867 d 16 May 1951; m Laura Cenia STOTT (b 22 Dec 1868 d 13 Mar 1943 d/o John and Rebecca (HALL) STOTT), both bur Montfords Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
(Child #1 of George W. Harris and Almina S. Ledbetter)
Elbridge Crayton Harris was born June 28, 1859. He graduated from Rutherford College at Connelly Springs, Burke County, North Carolina with a B.S. Degree in Civil Engineering in the spring of 1881. He married Martha Lavina Wilkerson, daughter of Andrew and Sophia (Marlowe) Wilkerson, of Sugar Hill, Rutherford County, North Carolina, December 20, 1881. Martha was born October 23, 1860 and died October 16, 1940. He died November 3, 1927. They were both buried at the Montford's Cove, Baptist Church Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
They first lived in a house between the old Rufus Williams home and the Adam Flack house. Their son Vick was born there. Later they lived at the White House community and operated a store, post office and telephone exchange called Otter Creek. They later moved to a log house on the Clover Villa Farm where they lived until the big house was built. In 1919, at age 60 years, he returned to Rutherford College for his Masters Degree in Civil Engineering. He taught in public schools and was a farmer.
CHILDREN OF MARY HARRIS AND MOSES WILKERSON
- Casco Pictet HARRIS b 28 Dec 1882 d 18 Apr 1916; m Alfred W. HALL (b 4 Feb 1883 d 6 May 1933). Both buried Montford's Cove Church Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Lowell Vick HARRIS b 24 Feb 1885, d 19 Mar 1952; m 1 May 1912 Ollie Eva HARRISON (b 0 Nov 1884 d 21 Jan 1963).
- Carlisle Clark HARRIS b 20 Oct 1887 d 12 May 1963; m Carrie Lee HEMPHILL (b 12 Feb 1890 d 15 Oct 1968); both bur Cool Spring Cem, Forest City, Rutherford Co, NC. He was in the army during WWI, worked for Knoxville Transit Co; lived in Knoxville, TN, until retirement. No Children.
- George Andrew HARRIS b 12 Mar 1890 d 12 Sep 1961 bur Montford's Cove Baptist Church Cem, Rutherford Co, NC; m 7 Nov 1913 Adelaid Belle OWENSBY (b 5 Jul 1893 d 29 Dec 1967 d/o Matt and Enola [Wiggins] Owensby of Tennessee).
- Whitlow Reid HARRIS b 5 Jul 1892 d 31 Oct 1967 bur Hickory, Catawba Co, NC; m Willie Zoie KELLY (b 16 Aug 1895 d 16 Jan 1978).
- Mattie Goforth HARRIS b 20 Apr 1895 d 13 Mar 1971; m 21 May 1925 at Clover Villa Farm, Union Mills, Rutherford Co, NC, Deronda Deumont GREEN (b 16 Jul 1894 d Dec 1980, s/o Toliver Monroe GREEN of Rutherford Co, NC. He was a veteran of WWI. Mattie was educated at Knoxville High School, Knoxville, TN, and Ashville Normal School, Ashville, NC. They lvd in Washington, D.C. and Arlington, Fairfax Co, VA.
- Lillian Virginia HARRIS b 18 Oct 1897 d 3 Sep 1975, graduated from Knoxville, TN, High School; m 11 Jun 1921 Grover Cleveland HARDIN (b 3 Dec 1884 d 11 Jan 1959).
- Clara Glen HARRIS b 30 Jun 1901 d 7 Nov 1979, bur Lauderdale Memorial Park, Fort Lauderdale, FL; m 1st 23 Aug 1933 Richard Harper GRAY of Warrington, VA (b 9 Jan 1907 d 26 Nov 1938), m 2nd 1943 Don F. MYERS of Hamilton, OH, a Civil Engineer with the United States Air Force, Washington, DC (b 4 Dec 1903 d 10 Oct 1971, bur Fort Lauderdale, FL.)
- Nell "Bly" Fairbanks HARRIS b 4 Aug 1904; m at Fallston, Cleveland Co., NC, Evan WILSON.
(Child #3 of Harbert Harris and Mary Bradley)
Mary Harris was born December 11, 1834 at Montford's Cove, Rutherford (now McDowell) County, North Carolina, and died February 4, 1907 in Henrietta, Rutherford County, North Carolina. She married August 11, 1858 Moses Wilkerson, son of Jethro and Polly (Morgan) Wilkerson. He was born June 16, 1806 at Montford Cove, and died September 7, 1891 in Otter Creek, Rutherford County, North Carolina. She was his third wife. While married to his first wife, they had 1 child who died in infancy. From his second marriage there was one child, Johnie W. "Squire" Wilkerson, who married Elizabeth Wilkerson.
Children of Moses WILKERSON and his third wife Mary HARRIS:
CHILDREN OF ZILLAH HARRIS AND O. PERRY WILLIAMS
- Florence Louisa WILKERSON b 29 Jul 1870 Montford's Cove, Rutherford or McDowell Co, NC d 20 Jun 1946 Lenoir City, Loudon Co, TN; m 11 Apr 1894 Rufus Lee LEDBETTER ([1863-1938] b & d Montford's Cove; bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC, s/o Andrew and Malinda (WILKERSON) LEDBETTER.
- Ilie LEDBETTER (1895-1978).
- Verta LEDBETTER (1896-1903).
- Nettie LEDBETTER b 1897; lvg in Columbia, SC.
- Hobart LEDBETTER (1900-1911).
- Roy LEDBETTER (1903 1957).
- Sue LEDBETTER b 1907; lvg in Lenoir City, TN.
- Dot LEDBETTER b 1910; lvg in Melbourne, FL.
- George LEDBETTER b 1911; lvg in Lenoir City, TN.
- Florence LEDBETTER b 1913; lvg in Lenoir City, TN.
- Robert LEDBETTER b 1916; lvg in Lenoir City, TN.
- Oscar WILKERSON b Rutherford Co, NC, d Henrietta, Rutherford Co, NC.
(Child #4 of Harbert Harris and Mary Bradley)
Zillah Harris was born July 18, 1837 Rutherford (now McDowell) County, North Carolina, and died September 6, 1904. She married O. Perry Williams, son of Norman and Nancy [Ledbetter] Williams, February 8, 1855. He was born December 5, 1825, and died June 1, 1880. They were both buried at Montford's Cove Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
CHILDREN OF COLEMAN BRADLEY HARRIS
- Rufus WILLIAMS b 21 Jan 1856 d 20 May 1948, bur Montford's Cove, Rutherford Co, NC; m Nancy Selina WILKERSON (b 10 Feb 1853 d 25 Aug 1944).
- Judd (Bud) WILLIAMS; m Lettie SELVEY, d/o George and Sarah (HARRIS) SELVEY.
- Cammolie WILLIAMS b 21 Jul 1878 d 26 Oct 1951; m Gordon MORGAN (b 16 Sep 1874 d 1 Jun 1957).
- Mary S. WILLIAMS b 11 Mar 1858 d 18 Sep 1858.
- Nancy Alice WILLIAMS (1859-1946) bur Bethlehem Cem, near Old Fort, McDowell Co, NC; m Simmon Whitson HOGAN.
- Creed HOGAN, b 10 Nov 1891 d 14 Oct 1971; m Maud SCRUGGS (b 14 Oct 1905 d 6 May 1971).
- Lessie HOGAN.
- Rosie HOGAN.
- Minnie HOGAN.
- Oliver Commodore WILLIAMS b 29 Jul 1861 d 2 Mar 1929; m 6 Apr 1887 Tempa P. FRAZIER (b Jan 1864 d Mar 1900 d/o David, Sr., and Perlina [HALL] FRAZIER); both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Orrie Eugenia WILLIAMS (twin) b 14 Jan 1888 d 16 Sep 1944; m George HENSLEY.
- Arrie Eugenia WILLIAMS (twin) b 14 Jan 1888 d 26 Oct 1966; m Will DAVIS.
- Clarence Edgar WILLIAMS b 14 Oct 1889 d 14 Nov 1978; m Mary Lou WILSON.
- Ellis Zilah WILLIAMS b 26 Mar 1894 d 28 Dec 1979. Unmd.
- Bessie Rubement WILLIAMS b 20 Mar 1895 d 16 Feb 1972; m Clyde "Bill" BROWN.
- Walter Ransome WILLIAMS b 16 Feb 1899 d Dec 1938; m Mary DAVIS.
- Norman Frank WILLIAMS b 15 Feb 1900 d 6 Oct 1934/5; m Nora SPROUSE.
- Lona Chester WILLIAMS b 5 Aug 1903 d July; m Joe LAUGHRIDGE.
- Oliver Lester WILLIAMS b 7 Aug 1904; m Alice ARROWOOD.
- Gertie Elsie WILLIAMS b 24 Sep 1906; m Ransome MOORE.
- Cordelia A. WILLIAMS b abt 1862 bur Henrietta or Caroleen, Rutherford Co, NC; m Josh WILKERSON s/o Johnny Squire and Elizabeth WILKERSON.
- Susan P. WILLIAMS, b 19 Oct 1866 d 14 Jun 1925; m Crayton FRAZIER (brother of Tempa P. FRAZIER and s/o David, Sr., and Perlina [HALL] FRAZIER).
AND TEMPE E. LEDBETTER
(Child #6 of Harbert Harris and Mary Bradley)
Coleman Bradley Harris was born July 31, 1842 at Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell County, North Carolina, and died June 21, 1906 in the same place. He married Tempa Elizabeth Ledbetter, daughter of Jonathan and Nancy (Wells) Ledbetter, March 3, 1861. She was born May 13, 1838 and died November 6, 1914 at Montford's Cove. They were both buried in the Montford's Cove Cemetery, Rutherford County, North Carolina.
Children: (Born at Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell Co, NC)
- Electra Serelda HARRIS b 20 Dec 1861 d 24 Mar 1939; m Leander Micajah HALL (s/o Joshua and Adeline [FLACK] HALL, b 20 Jan 1859 Montford's Cove, d 30 Sep 1941, he m 1st Lethea S. WILKERSON, d/o Andrew and Sophia WILKERSON). Both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
Children of Electra and Leander HALL:
- Lilly Ann HALL b 18 Aug 1898; m Sims McFARLAND.
- Columbus Walter HALL b 18 Jan 1900; m Carrie JONAS.
- E. T. Eldosha HARRIS b 14 Jul 1863 d 22 Dec 1863.
- Marcilla Louisa HARRIS b 30 Nov 1864 d 21 Mar 1931.
- Weldon Callaway HARRIS b 17 Mar 1866 d 7 Jul 1936; m Cynthia Louise HAMPTON (b 30 Nov 1865 d 10 May 1934) both bur Concord Baptist Church Cem, Bostic, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Hetty Armity HARRIS b 1897.
- Beverly Hampton HARRIS b 1899.
- Gladys Mae HARRIS b 1901; m Charles HAMRICK.
- Noah Coleman HARRIS (1903-1959); m Alice Mae McCRAIN.
- Infant daughter HARRIS (1906-1906).
- James Weldon HARRIS (1907-1976); m Roberta GORDAN.
- Ulysses Grant HARRIS b 26 Dec 1868 d 4 Feb 1960 Montford's Cove; m 3 Jan 1892 Almina Sophronia HARRIS (b 23 Sep 1875 Montford's Cove d 4 Apr 1943 the same place, d/o Sims and Nancy [HALL] HARRIS).
- Clarence Burpee HARRIS, b 3 Feb 1893 Montford's Cove, McDowell Co, NC, d 30 May 1972 same place; m Jan 1912 Ollie Maybelle WILSON (b 17 Dec 1894 Montford's Cove, d 20 Mar 1979 d/o Andy and Elizabeth Malinda "Betty Lyn" [BANNING] WILSON). Both bur Montford's Cove Cem. No Children.
- Willie Jones HARRIS b 4 Apr 1895 Montford's Cove, d 3 Jan 1975 Oteen V. A. Hospital, Oteen, Buncumbe Co, NC, wounded in France 1919 during WWI; m 1 Apr 1952, Gaffney, SC, Eula Vaughn (NANNEY) JUSTICE (b 14 May 1903 d 4 Jan 1963 d/o Cyrus and Lillie Mae[MOFFITT] NANNEY. She m 1st Gordon JUSTICE).
- Roy Hobert HARRIS b 27 Dec 1897 m Lizzie Jay HALL.
- George Roosevelt HARRIS b 8 Aug 1904 d 28 Sep 1970; m Ola Lee LEDFORD.
- Nora Jeanette HARRIS b 8 Aug 1914.
- Joseph Lee HARRIS b 5 Jun 1882; m Mary Etta BANNING (b 14 May 1886 McDowell Co, NC, d 20 June 1952 the same place, d/o Thomas and Rebecca Laticia Adeline [BURGIN] BANNING), both bur Montford's Cove Cem, Rutherford Co, NC.
- Frank Young HARRIS b 24 Jul 1906 Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell Co, NC; m 7 Jul 1928 Flora Henrietta REEL (b 2 Mar 1906 Sugar Hill, Mc Dowell Co, NC, daughter of Henry and Victoria [Simmons] Reel). Their children were all born at Montford's Cove, Mc Dowell Co, NC and include Margie Louise Harris who supplied most of the data about of the descendants of Harbert Harris, son of William and Ruth Harris.
- Willard B. HARRIS b 20 Jul 1909 d 19 Oct 1971; m Dorothy May HAWKINS of Sugar Hill.
- Dora Lee HARRIS b 7 May 1912; m William Woodrow STACY of Garden Creek.
- Edna Belle HARRIS b 12 Apr 1915; m Lawrence Hubert BARTLETT of Old Fort, NC.
[Webmaster note: direct any correspondence or questions you may have about this document to the webmaster of this site, and we will pass it on to the author. Any responses will be at her sole discretion. Please be sure to state that you are routing your request through the webmaster of this site, so it will be clear when we forward your message.]