Reputations

Reputations

Author: Sally
Rating: PG
Summary: one final scene for the seventh season episode, Q2.
Disclaimer: Paramount has them all, drat!
Thanks to: Beth

***

He entered her ready room at her call. He’d seen the older Q leave just a few moments previously but of the son there was no sign. He was surprised to see her sitting in such a calm state. He was also surprised by the change in her surroundings.

“Flowers, Captain?” he grinned.

“Q Jr. presented them to me as a way of saying thank you,” she smiled. “Though I think he may have gone a little overboard.”

“A little?” He took another look around him. “It’s a good thing neither you or I are allergic to them. There’s enough here to give every crew member a bunch.” He placed his palms flat on her desk and leaned over at her. “Looks like Auntie Kathy has become a very popular person with her honourary nephew. A teenage crush, perhaps?”

She turned ever so slightly red and smiled sheepishly. “Chakotay, please.”

The commander took another look around. “Where is the little pest anyway?”

“Chakotay,” she admonished. “You shouldn’t talk about him like that. It’s a bad example to set.”

“He’s not here anymore.”

“He might still be hearing you.”

“And I’m not his Godmother either.” He leaned over further and inhaled the scent of the flowers in her arms. “Still, he’s made not a bad choice.” He stood upright again and backed away. “So, why did he want to say thank you and where’s he gone?”

“His father came back for him. Seems he made a deal with the Continuum regarding the boy. Consequently, our parenting days are over.”

He turned and walked over to the viewport. Somehow, in the midst of it all he had grown fond of the young man, conscious of the fact that this might be the closest he would ever be to having a son of his own.

“Still,” she continued. “I think I might miss him.” Her voice was close behind him. “But don’t think that gives you any right,” she finished, raising her voice. He smiled slightly, realising she was talking to any stray Q that might be in the area.

She was by his side now and together they stared out at the stars. Moments passed.

“It’s like he’s left home. He was only here for a short time I know, but he made such an impact on us.” There was a pause. “Another of the children to leave us of their own choice.”

“Kes.” It was a statement rather than a question.

“Yes.”

He sat down on the couch and reached up to take her hand. “These things happen, Kathryn,” he said softly. “You don’t have to like them though.”

“Oh, I know,” she sighed. She sat down beside him, her hand still held tight and warm in his. “I’ve watched so many people grow, develop on this ship. A lot has happened in seven years.”

“It has,” he agreed. “For one thing, we’ve had the joy of watching Naomi Wildman be quite the young lady.”

“Yes,” she sighed again. “But she still calls me Captain. At least Junior called me Auntie Kathy. I don’t know, Chakotay. He just, for those few days, meant more to me. That’s all. It doesn’t mean I don’t love Naomi, I do, but…”

“I think I understand, Kathryn. It became more personal to you.”

Like the way you call me by name, she thought. “Maybe I’m just getting old,” she said out loud.

“Never,” he insisted.

She sat up straight and looked at him. “And what brings you to that conclusion, Commander?”

He laughed. “Well, you’re the same age as me, which means that if you’re feeling old then I must be as well. And I refuse to feel old.”

She laughed with him. “Good grief, that’s almost Tuvokian logic.”

“Tuvokian?”

“Never mind.” She shook her head and stood up slowly. “So anyway, what do you suggest I do with all these bouquets? I can’t exactly keep them here.”

“Could place them on all the bridge consoles.”

Her head spun back to face him. “What?”

“It’s just an idea.”

“And then I’d have the crew wondering where I got them. They’d have a field day.”

He stood up and stretched. “They probably would. And knowing certain helmsmen, my reputation would be in ruins.”

“Why? Because they’ll think you gave me them or because they’ll find out that you didn’t?”

“It doesn’t matter with some of that lot.”

She threw back her head and laughed. It was a sight he loved to see. “So what do you suggest instead?”

“How about transporting some to your quarters and some to airponics and leave the rest here?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

***

She returned to her quarters later that evening, prepared to inhale the aroma of Junior’s gift. What she was not prepared for was the single white daisy in a small vase sitting in the middle of her table. Underneath the vase was a handwritten note.

“Figured where the crew was concerned, my reputation was shot either way.”

FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to Fiction index