As It Should Be
AS IT SHOULD BE

TITLE: As It Should Be
RATING: PG
SUMMARY: A resident of the USS Enterprise can see how things should be, and it's not how they currently are
DISCLAIMER: see ones on other fics

***

“Hmmn, not good,” said the all-knowing host of Ten Forward. “This is not how it should be.”

The captain of the Enterprise turned his full body against the bar to face her. “Whatever do you mean, Guinan?”

“Look at those two over there.” She pointed to the corner of the room where a darkly handsome man stood talking with a slim blond in a body suit. “They do not belong together. At all.”

Picard laughed. “Well, I suppose it is a little unusual but it seems to work for them.”

Guinan shook her head. “They’re wrong for each other. She believes in rigidity, in order, in routine. He’s more free-flowing, creative. A relationship cannot be formed on that.”

“My dear Guinan, how can you tell all that? We only met them an hour ago.”

“If the woman wasn’t like that she wouldn’t be wearing such an outfit like that,” Guinan retorted. “Now, take a look at the captain.” Picard followed her gaze. “She’s shed her uniform, that skirt she’s wearing practically floats. Oh don’t look at me like that,” she chided her companion, seeing the look of his amusement on his face. “You know I don’t care for the fashions of these days. The captain believes in order while she’s on duty but off-duty she likes to be free with her life.”

Picard nodded. “I’ll take your word for it. But what does Captain Janeway have to do with the relationship of her first officer.”

“Because she’s the one he should be having the relationship with, Jean-Luc.”

Picard stared at her. “Are you saying a captain should have a relationship with a crewmember?”

“What about you and Doctor Crusher?” Guinan asked, smiling sweetly.

“That’s different,” he protested. Besides, he thought, Beverly and I have never formalised things. “She’s the ship’s doctor.”

“She’s also a senior crew member,” Guinan pointed out. “And she’s Starfleet. Isn’t the Commander’s rank just a field rank?”

“I’ve heard there’s plans to make it permanent.”

“And I’ve heard he won’t accept it,” she replied darkly. She inclined her head slightly. “You see the doctor over there?”

“The hologram?” Picard asked. He wondered where the unnamed doctor fit into Guinan’s observations.

“He’s in love with her.”

“Who? Captain Janeway?”

“No,” Guinan replied in frustration. “With that, that… Borg.”

“Ah.” Picard was thoughtful for a moment. Guinan had long been an observer of the human condition; she’d managed to make herself completely at home on the Enterprise in the years since she had arrived onboard and her position in Ten Forward afforded her the opportunity for plenty of study. Her age was unknown to him but Picard knew she’d been around for many centuries. Indeed she had even been present when he and his senior staff had found themselves back in the nineteenth century some years back. But although he knew little about her he knew that she had a deep distrust of the Borg even if it had lessened somewhat recently.

He also knew that she had an uncanny ability to see things as they might otherwise be. And apparently she was seeing a very different perspective on what was going on before him.

“It’s not right,” she muttered, looking a little distant. “It needs to fixed.”

Before Picard could say anything further Guinan moved around the end of the bar and began to approach Voyager’s first officer and his companion. She cut in smoothly, placing her arm through Chakotay’s before Seven could even have a chance to react. “Do excuse me, Miss Nine,” she said sweetly. “I just need a word with the Commander here.” She pulled Chakotay away with her.

Picard watched in silence. Seven had not been left on her own for long before Voyager’s doctor came to her rescue and began a conversation with her. The Enterprise captain now began to follow Guinan and her captive.

“What’s the matter, Jean-Luc?” Beverly appeared at his elbow.

“Guinan’s up to something,” he murmured, enjoying the warmth of her closeness. “Something to do with Captain Janeway and her first officer.” He nodded over towards the bar host and the officer. “Watch.”

Guinan was talking animatedly to Chakotay, every so often her hands were flying out and an expression of frustration would appear on her face. The commander, in contrast, was mostly silent and appeared to be surprised by whatever it was he was being told. Occasionally he cast glances over towards his captain, who was now in a debate with Will Riker. Finally Chakotay nodded and he parted ways with Guinan, who returned to her rightful place behind the bar.

“Do I even want to know what you said to Commander Chakotay?” Picard asked her, turning to face her.

Guinan smiled secretively. “Let’s just say I managed to talk some sense into him.” She looked over to where Captain Janeway was standing. “Watch now.”

Jean-Luc and Beverly turned back to survey the room. Sure enough there was Chakotay leading Captain Janeway away from the Enterprise’s first officer. They crossed to a quiet corner of the room and soon Janeway could be seen smiling broadly as Chakotay took her hands.

Picard shook his head. “And there I was thinking you didn’t meddle in such things, Guinan,” he said in a tone of chastisement. “I can see I was wrong.”

“Now, Jean-Luc,” Guinan smiled. “You should know me by now. I only meddle, as you call it, when the scene before me is not right.”

“And how did you know it wasn’t right?” Beverly asked.

“Well, in some universe it might have been,” Guinan retorted. “But it sure wasn’t in this one.” She took a final glance over to where Seven of Nine and the doctor were still standing close together. “That’s better,” she said softly. “Everything is now as it should be.”

FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to The Edge