Gently

Gently

TITLE: Gently
AUTHOR: Matteabrit, September 2002
RATING: PG
SUMMARY: Kathryn just wants to change out of Arachnia's costume. Chakotay's stopping her from doing that.
DISCLAIMER: Characters - theirs; plot (such as it is) - mine.
NOTE: Written for Purple Comet's contest. The one thing that always got me about the Bride of Chaotica episode was the fact that Neelix was reporting on how many lavatories were working. Five for a crew of 150? Sorry, I guess my mind is a little warped.

***

Once, twice, she knocked on the door. How crazy, Kathryn thought to herself, that she should have to knock on the door of her own bathroom.

"How long are you planning on being, anyway?" she said loudly to the gray metallic door.

There was a muffled reply from within. The water continued to run, and then she heard the flush of the toilet. Oh great, she frowned. Now she'd have to deal with that as well.

The door opened, and her first officer appeared in her line of sight. "Sorry, Kathryn," he said cheerfully. "All part of daily life, you know."

She shook her head and rolled her eyes at him. "You expect me to go straight in after you? No way." The captain turned away in disgust. "You know I want out of this… this…" She gestured to the outfit she was wearing. "This," she finally emphasized.

Chakotay didn't immediately appear to notice the problem. "So? You could have changed out here."

The problem with 'out here' was that it was her bedroom, and her bathroom just happened to exit into, where else? "And how am I supposed to change 'out here' when you're in there?"

He blinked. "It's not like I can see through the door, Kathryn." He cast an appraising glance at the outlandish costume she was wearing. "Besides, I don't think you should change."

She stared at him, not quite believing what she was hearing. "I beg your pardon?"

"If that outfit can knock down Chaotica, think what it could do to your average Delta Quadrant alien."

"I'd rather not." Her hand went to the low-necked collar of the dress, attempting to hitch it up higher, wishing it would go all the way up to her chin.

"I suppose it would be a bit awkward to sit in, wouldn't it," he continued on, apparently oblivious to her discomfort.

She strode out into the main living area of her quarters, sweeping her commbadge into her hand from where it had lain discarded on her coffee table. "Janeway to Torres," she snapped into it.

The harried voice of the chief engineer came back at her. "Yes, Captain?"

"Might I inquire as to when we might have more than five working lavatories on this ship, Lieutenant?"

"Actually, we're up to ten now, Captain." Torres didn't sound in the mood for exchanging pleasantries.

"Do any of those include the one in the first officer's quarters?"

There was a slight hesitation at the other end. "He said we could leave his to near the end of the list, Captain. He wanted to make sure other crew quarters were taken care of first."

Kathryn's head snapped back to face Chakotay, who was leaning casually against the doorframe of her bedroom, looking as though he completely belonged there. "Very well," she sighed. "Keep me informed, Janeway out." She turned her attention back to her first officer and closest friend. "I suppose I can't fault you for that," she said quietly, looking down at the ground.

"I wanted to make sure our crew was taken care of first. After all, we're only sharing with each other."

She still couldn't look at him. "I know." Crossing the room she sunk onto the couch and stared out at the stars. "I'm sorry."

She heard his soft footsteps approach and felt the couch sag slightly as he took a seat behind her. "It's been a crazy day, Kathryn. It's all right."

"No, it's not all right," she said morosely. She shifted, Arachnia's dress making it uncomfortable to sit in. "How many other Starfleet captains have to dress like this to save their ship?"

"How many others would manage to look as good as you do?" Chakotay returned. "It's like you told Harry, weird is part of the job. We're here, we survived, and the ship will be repaired in a few days. If you need to me use a bathroom elsewhere then I will."

Kathryn moved to face him and shook her head. "No, it's okay. I'm sorry. It's just been a long day." She smiled weakly. "Maybe Tom's holodeck programs just made me a little homesick. Not the actual program, per se, but the whole nostalgia thing."

He nodded. "I can understand that. I feel that way myself at times." Hesitantly, he placed a hand on her shoulders. "Never forget, you're not alone."

She leaned her cheek against the back of his hand, relishing its warmth. "I know," she sighed. "Thank you, though, for reminding me." She took a deep breath, pulled back and stretched. "Damn," she groaned. "I hate aching like this."

A deep-throated chuckle came from Chakotay. "That was why you wanted the bathroom, wasn't it? You wanted to soak in a long, hot bath."

Kathryn smiled ruefully. "Guilty as charged. Can you blame me?"

"Not at all. Perhaps I can make it up to you?"

She stared at him, wondering at his meaning. If he meant what she hoped he did, she was all for it. Chakotay's massages were heavenly, and a luxury she got only too rarely.

His slow turning of her body away from him confirmed her hopes. His hands gently descended on her shoulders, beginning to knead them firmly. She closed her eyes and leaned back; enjoying the pleasurable bullying her muscles were receiving. For a man of such strength, Chakotay was always able to surprise her with his gentleness. His movements betrayed his stature. She inhaled slowly, relishing his touch.

"Kathryn." His voice was low, close to her ear, his breath tickling her skin.

"Mmm?"

"We may have a problem."

"Oh?"

"Your dress is getting in the way too much for me to be effective. Perhaps you should change out of it."

Slowly, his words sank into Kathryn's drowsy brain. He wanted her out of the clothes she was wearing, into something more comfortable, something that would make her more accessible to him. "Okay," she murmured, willing herself to move. "Damn, I think I may need some help here."

The couch moved again as Chakotay stood up. Standing in front of her he held out a hand to her. Mustering strength she grasped it, and let him haul her to her feet. Once on her feet she swayed slightly, and found her waist in the firmness of his embrace. Tilting her head up slightly to look him in the eye, Kathryn found herself being drawn by the strange look in his eyes.

All it took was another slight lift of the head and her lips made contact with his. His touch was soft, hesitant, only growing in intensity after she slid her arms around his waist, drawing him in closer. Delicately, his tongue probed her and she opened her mouth to him, enjoying the feel of his explorations.

They drew apart eventually, giving up the kiss but keeping their arms around each other. Kathryn watched the embarrassed uncertainty cloud his face. "So." Her voice was cracked, her throat dry. "Was it the dress or something else?" she asked, attempting to inject levity into the situation.

"Possibly the dress, definitely something else," Chakotay murmured back. He shook his head. "I'm sorry."

Kathryn smiled back at him. "Don't be," she whispered. "Don't ever be sorry. Just," she hesitated a little as she reflected on the direction the night had taken. "Just be here for me on nights like this."

"Always, Kathryn," he replied quietly, the intensity of his gaze making her shiver. "I'll always be there for you, no need to ask."

And then he cupped her face and kissed her again.

FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to The Edge