For the First Time
For the First Time

TITLE: For the First Time
AUTHOR: Matteabrit, July 2002
SUMMARY: Sometimes life is not how you’d imagined it might be
RATING: PG-13
DISCLAIMER: Sigh, do we have to go through this again? I am penniless; it’s the Borg that have the finances – sue them!

***

Oh how sweet it is, how gentle the feel of his lips on hers. They have descended on her softly as he cups her chin in his hand. His tongue presses for entrance and she lets him in. Softly probing, unrelenting, his tongue imitates that most sacred of acts. She is breathless, feeling the glory of surrender in his embrace, letting herself float in air. What this man does to her should be considered criminal. Her arms wrap around him as though she never wants to let go and his arms move to her waist, holding her tight against him. It is the stuff of dreams.

Unfortunately for Kathryn Janeway, reality is not as beautiful as fantasy. She is indeed kissing her first officer but they have not come together in a manner one might call romantic. For her future, and indeed her life, is at stake.

First contacts are usually straightforward. Most times you introduce yourself via an audiovisual transmission. You are then either greeted in peace and friendship or find yourselves raising shields and firing back in self-defence. Rarely is it the case that after you announce, “Captain Kathryn Janeway, USS Voyager,” the stranger on the viewscreen tells you he wishes to mate with you. But that is precisely what had occurred on this particular contact.

***

The bridge went silent at the governor’s statement. Beside her, Kathryn could feel Chakotay tense and his anger rise. “I’m sorry,” she finally managed. “What did you say?”

The governor laughed. “I said young lady, that I like the look of you. You’ll be a fine addition to my household.”

She didn’t quite know what to reply. The term of ‘young lady’ was surprising enough, let alone the governor’s request. “Perhaps we could meet, Governor, to discuss this?”

“Captain, are you…?”

She ignored Chakotay. “I would be glad to come down to your planet, Governor, and if you don’t mind I’d like to bring my personal security with me.”

“Personal security?” the governor boomed, his jovial face taking on an air of concern. “I assure you, my dear lady, you’ll be quite safe here.”

She smiled. “My crew will rest easier if I have someone with me.”

“Of course,” he smiled again. “Anything you want.”

A few moments later the transmission ended. “Commander Chakotay,” she commanded, turning away from the screen. “You’re with me.”

“Captain, if I may be so bold….”

She was quick to dismiss her chief security officer. “Tuvok, you have the bridge.”

They were in the turbolift heading to the transporter room when Chakotay finally manage to question his captain’s decisions. “Why me?”

“You’ve got tactical experience, haven’t you?”

“Yes.”

“You know how to use a weapon and protect my back?”

“Of course.”

She grinned. “And you’d be worried sick about me until I returned.”

“Totally.”

“And I thought you said business was business and friendships were something else entirely,” he teased her. “But you’re right, I am glad I’m going with you.”

They were transported to a large reception hall, decorated ornately with fine works of art and statues. The floors appeared to be of wood while carved plasterwork adorned the ceilings and walls. Large windows were spaced at intervals on either side. At the top end of the room were the governor and a small entourage of staff.

“Ah, Captain Janeway.” He came forward, arms outstretched. “Welcome to my home.” He took a brief look at Chakotay. “Your personal security?”

“This is…”

“Fine, fine.” The governor quickly brushed him aside. “Now, I understand your crew is in need of supplies. Why don’t you have him look over that for you while I show you around?”

Kathryn didn’t like that idea at all. “Security,” she reminded their host firmly. “He stays with me.”

Governor L’Tor shrugged. “Oh very well, my dear captain, but I assure he will most likely be bored within ten minutes.”

“Nevertheless,” she confirmed. “He stays with me. I would like to call two of my crew down to go over that supply list, however, if that is acceptable?” The governor nodded and lieutenants Ayala and Carey were beamed down. Kathryn was relieved that she’d previously arranged to have these two available for the mission; sending another woman, perhaps B’Elanna Torres, might have been problematic.

The rest of the palace was as ornately decorated as the reception hall. Kathryn and Chakotay were led down hallway after hallway, shown portraits of previous governors and scenes of the planet’s history. It certainly appeared to be a patriarchal society, although occasionally a female was seen scurrying through an open doorway. Finally L’Tor reached one room and dramatically flung open the door.

“And this will be your apartment, my lady.”

There was silence as he beckoned Kathryn into the room. It was all too clear what he meant. This would be her room when she became his ‘mate.’ Chakotay followed her, attempting to keep a discrete distance but she could feel how tense he’d become the moment that L’Tor had spoken. The room itself was magnificent; Kathryn was in awe the moment she stepped inside. The sun streamed in through large windows; the lead strips across the glass formed diamonds on sunlight across the room. The edges of the furniture was done out in what looked like gold. But it was the centrepiece of the room that caught her breath. A magnificent four-poster bed was just waiting for occupancy.

“This is where you will be staying, my dear,” L’Tor said finally. “You may ask for anything you want and it shall be provided for you.” He cast a glance at Chakotay. “However, I was not expecting that you’d be wanting to bring your own personal servant with you. But I expect we can find quarters for him somewhere.”

“No.” Kathryn finally found her voice.

The governor seemed a little taken aback by her vocalisation but recovered quickly. “No?” he repeated. “Am I to understand that this man will not be staying here with you then?”

“I will not be staying here with you.”

This time there was no quick recovery for their host. L’Tor appeared to be entirely speechless; his eyes staring wide at his guest, his face turning a dark shade of red. Turning to his aide he signalled that the younger man should speak for him.

“Madam Captain,” the aide began hesitantly. “It is not wise to refuse the governor’s wishes. Only a few have ever done so in the past.”

Kathryn’s eyebrow arched. “And these few?” she queried. “What happened to them?”

The aide was a little flustered. “Well, er, there were issues, misunderstandings. The females were, uh, spoken for.”

She nodded. “I see. Well, I’m afraid I must refuse on the same grounds also.” She smiled apologetically as though the matter really couldn’t be helped.

“Who?” The governor had found his voice again. “What? Who has claimed you?”

Now Kathryn was stuck. It would be all too easy to utter the name of the man standing slightly behind her. But she wasn’t sure how fair it would be to him. Who knew what the governor might ask of them in terms of proof of the relationship. The last thing she wanted was to force Chakotay into something he might not want to do and risk their friendship. Her mind began to go through her senior staff. Tuvok might be a good choice but could he keep the lie? Paris would certainly be up for it but was no longer unattached. Harry was out; he’d blow their cover in moments due to embarrassment. The doctor…

“I have.” The voice from behind her was calm but firm. “I have claimed her for my own.”

Kathryn tried not to register her surprise when Chakotay spoke. Instead she smiled and wondered if this was also written into the Delta Quadrant’s First Officer’s handbook. He certainly went further in looking out for his captain than the average first officer might. But then there was nothing average about Chakotay.

He had stepped forward now, standing immediately behind her with his hands resting possessively on her shoulders. “I let you dismiss me earlier,” he told the governor. “The supplies you had agreed to give us were more important than my own feelings. But I cannot and will not stand by and let you lay claim to what is mine.”

“Yours?” L’Tor questioned. “How do I know you are telling the truth and not just acting out of duty to your captain and your vessel.”

The grip on her shoulders tightened and Kathryn found her back pressed up against Chakotay’s broad chest. “Need me to prove it you?” he asked the governor. “I could you know, right there on that bed.”

Kathryn’s eyes closed. The bed. How often had she fantasised about having him on a bed such as that. The feel of him against her was almost more than she could bear. She sighed slightly then came to with a start as she realised that she really didn’t want that fantasy to come true in this scenario.

Thankfully the aide didn’t think that was a good idea either. “That will not be necessary,” he told Chakotay. “Acts of that nature are regarded as private.”

Private? Kathryn’s mind screamed even though she was relieved. How could such acts be regarded as private when the governor had propositioned her in front of her entire crew?

The aide continued. “But perhaps if you were to show the governor some other way?”

***

And that is how it comes to be that Kathryn is kissing her first officer. As she tries to replay the events of the day that have led up to this she can only reach the brief conclusion that she needs more of this. But not here.

The soft chirrup of the commbadge pulls them apart. Kathryn blushes while Chakotay just looks smug. No doubt he is thinking how right he has been all these years; that they are right for one another and that they fit well together. Kathryn can only close her eyes, away from his intense gaze as she responds to the call from Ayala. He is letting her know that the supplies have begun to be transported, and that he and Carey will be finished shortly. She instructs them to notify Voyager when they are ready to return to their ship.

The governor is smiling, albeit with a slightly embarrassed look, when she opens her eyes again. He apologises for his suggestion, wishes both of them well for the future, and dismisses them. The last thing Kathryn sees as she beams back to Voyager is L’Tor shaking his head in wonderment.

Back on Voyager Kathryn suddenly makes the decision that will change the rest of her life, and his as well. She will tell him later, away from the prying eyes and ears of their crew. For now she wanted to savour the new freedom of loving this fine man. Even though it had not been the way she had imagined it the first step had been taken; she had kissed her first officer. Everything else was easy from now on.

But for now there was business to attend to. “Commander, my ready room please.”

FINIS

Feed the author!

Back to The Edge