Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

The Book of Magic ? Shinigami's Story

By: Kearin Maxwell



12/26/00

Disclaimer: I do not own the g-boys, and I never will?
Pairings: None? so far
Warnings: None

Kearin: I may not have any warnings for once, but I do have a note? This is for my muse of good things, who was very upset when she found out about Blood Binds All and Blood Queens. So this story is for Amaris.
Amaris: See I'm the special muse! ^^
Kearin: heh ::sweatdrops::

*** Crossover with Diadem by John Peel ***

*******************************************
The Diadem holds us together with thin threads.
If the Diadem dies, we follow its path through death.
Now it is in danger?.
And only the chosen three can save us.
*******************************************

Diadem Prologue
{Book 1: Book of Magic}

By: Kearin Maxwell


The shadows loomed together, like wolves in a pack. They had found their prey? They had chosen their targets? And? they were almost to the Outer Rim Worlds?

Sure, they knew they would not have much power there? They *were* made up of magic. And magic only worked so well on the Rim Worlds, much less the ones they were headed to. They were the farthest and most remote of all the Rim Worlds. There, at the most, the only things people would see of them would be a lean shadow and a flicker of claws. But no matter? they had a mission? and their prey had been selected? they were following their master's orders?

Their mission was to find the 3 chosen ones, and to send them on their way to Treen. There they'd fend for themselves, until they found Dublim. Until then they were theirs to play with.

Yet, Dublim might get impatient and send his minions [1] to help them. That would be a nuisance yet, it might become useful in a way. It's not every day that you get to see a changeling, they were so rare? although Dublim had his own village of them, he could get rather? overprotective of them, so time would tell if they would get to see one. They weren't very powerful magic-wise, yet they had an eerie sense of elemental powers, and could change from beast to man, with will alone?

Enough dawdling they had to concentrate on the mission. Success was essential, their master would not hear them out if they were to return with news of failure.

Now they had reached the limit between the Outer Circuit and the Rim Worlds. Their first destination would be Earth [2], then Calomir [3], and then finally to Ordin [4].

And they moved, silently as a pack, as organized as a single magnificent creature [5], as their hunt continued, and they pursued their prey. Now far from home, they singled out their victim's world? The Outer Rim's small and delicate Earth?

It was there that the Earth's sacrifice lay. Their first prey?? [6] + [7]

~*End of Prologue*~

[1] Nika not *those* minions?
[2] It will be present day Earth?
[3] It will be a version of Earth in the Past, but a completely different world.
[4] Same for Ordin, as Calomir is the Past, Ordin is a version of Earth in the future.
[5] The shadows are separate creatures, they just move as if they were all connected, as if one.
[6] I'm writing this because I just recently found my books? ^.~ But I've changed and modified LOTs of things in the story. ((And Amaris really wanted this?))
[7] This isn't really a prologue? I just won't have Part 1 finished until a few days more, and I wanted to post something up for this, and *try* and get people interested. So consider this a teaser.
P.S. There will be actual GW material, in the next part.

*****XXX*****

12/26/00

Disclaimer: I do not own the g-boys, and I never will?
Pairings: None? so far
Warnings: So far, or at least in this Chapter, only language & very brief gang scene.
Note: Duo and Solo DO NOT get along very well? And Helen IS his real mother in this story. Father Maxwell isn't in here, and is never directly mentioned?. Also I'm sorry, but I will be switching around with the point of view of everyone? Anymore notes that I should give them, Amaris?
Amaris: anou? There are 3 time settings throughout the story, and then you'll be pulled into Treen's time? but I don't think that Kearin will stick those parts of the fic in this part..
Kearin: Yea! You'll see the story set first into the present, then it'll go to a land in the past, and then to a land in the future, before then finally staying in a world with one time setting. Kk? I hope that's not too confusing? ^.^; But it'll happen gradually?.
Greyn: You made as much sense as mud.
Kearin: ::glare:: And exactly who let you come into the writing of this story? I thought I left you inside of Blood Binds All and Blood Queens?
Greyn: I came here to torture her ::points at Amaris::
Amaris: ::Pales:: Onto the story? ::thinks to herself:: Now I'll have to watch out for violent scenes?
*** Crossover with Diadem, the book serie ***


*******************************************
The Diadem holds us together with thin threads.
If the Diadem dies, we follow its path through death.
Now it is in danger.
And only the chosen three can save us.
*******************************************

Diadem Chapter 1
Book 1: Book of Magic

By: Kearin Maxwell


*****
Earth
*****

'I've got to get out of here, especially now that Solo's in jail.' Duo thought to himself. 'I'm glad he's there? it's about time they caught him? but it's not surprising they toke this long to catch him. Solo's a good criminal. And I mean good in the worst possible way. It took the ENTIRE city's police force, to catch him. And now he'll be out of my way for at least a few years or so. But I'll be gone by the time he returns? long gone, I never want to see him again. How could he! I trusted him, he was my best friend, and what does he do!? He kills my mother? well you'll never allow yourself to confide in someone else again, look what it brought you this time? Mom's death.'

Duo looked around the small apartment, that he and his mom used to live in. 'Well *we* no longer exists' He thought ruefully 'It'll be just *me* from now on.' And with that last thought, he picked himself up from the floor of the room and began to look around for anything that might be useful, on the streets.

As he looked around, his eyes caught on a floorboard in the room. It had been torn loose, as if someone else had been in a hurry to conceal or find something. He quickly moved over to the floor panel, and looked inside.

Inside the space made by the board, he found a letter, with his name on it.

'Odd handwriting though, wonder who could've written it ? oh? my god.. its mom's handwriting!'

His hands shaking with wonder and excitement, he lifted the letter out, and quickly opened it, taking out the folded letter within the envelope. He then unfolded it, and attempted to read it, but it made absolutely no sense at all.

It was a paper with shapes, objects, and phrases all over. 'I mean? some of it does *seem* to make sense, but over all? it doesn't. like the wole thing off 111 being greater than 1 plus 1 plus 1. That's completely obvious! And then the whole thing with the phrase that Treen is the start? Who the hell or what the hell *is* Treen?'

Duo gave up in confusion as he began to go through the possible reasons why his mother would want him to see this. Was he supposed to understand it? But then why else would he given this?

As he kept rambling on in his mind he noticed a small piece of paper with the words, "You'll understand later on Treen with the others?" on it.

'What will I understand later? I want to know what the hell this means now! And how the hell do I get to Treen!? What others?' He thought as he angrily stuffed the paper into his pocket, along with all the money he'd found in the apartment.

The weird paper was really giving him the creeps. 'That paper had a great sense of timing? I've been having that weird dream, and then find a note from my mother? Well, Solo said once that he'd known my mother, before she and Dad got married. He told me that she was? different? almost a psychic. And he said that she told him that I was special. Yea well, I seem to only cause disasters and bring tragedy. But that dream? it was so? weird.. and I keep having it? a tune, with no end, that you'd never hear if you could choose to, but was just there. Slow, with an almost mournful edge in it. The dream always had a violet light to it, a shade slightly brighter than his own eyes. But then, every time I have the dream? I wake up disoriented, I used to believe, when I first started getting the dreams, that if I could reach the light before I woke up, I'd be able to be happy forever?' Disrupting his thoughts was his stomach, which was announcing it's will to be fed. 'So much for that thought?'

And with that as his cue, he left the bedroom, and apartment and headed down to the street. From a distance, he cast the old apartment a farewell, he'd never return. Then he turned and headed down the street, sticking close to the walls and shadows. 'Now to concentrate on getting more money...and the easiest way being, scamming the scam artists.'


*****

As Duo screened the streets for an unsuspecting dealer, his eyes finally settled on a young and hyper street dealer, who had managed to attract a small group of tourists. Smiling to himself he slowly made his way over to him, wishing to remain as unnoticeable as possible until he had reached the crowd, yet all the while happy he had found a 3 card Monte dealer. But still, now that Solo was in jail, he could still, easily, have people looking for him. After all, they would want to put Duo in an orphanage now that his mother was dead. And he just knew that if the police got a hold of him, he'd eventually end up with Solo.

The police had taken Solo as a suspect really? He was guilty, but with all the connections that Solo had around the city, he'd be able to bribe someone enough to get out of jail, or even have all the charges dropped, declaring him innocent. Solo would then take that opportunity to say he was the closest thing Duo had to a next of kin. He'd end up with the murderer.

With those thoughts going through his head, he barely suppressed a shudder, and stuck even closer to the shadows of the street, thanking god over a few times that it was a cloudy afternoon.

*****

He finally reached the crowd, amusing himself as he watched the tourists lose, again and again. Only to watch as the dealer, would purposely allow a tourist every once in a while to win. Duo kept watching him until he thought he knew the dealer's pattern. Little did he know that it was no pattern?

"C'mon everyone!" The dealer practically begged the crowd. "It's so easy! All you have to do is pick out which one of the three cards is the Queen of Spades! Only 5 dollars to try! C'mon people, I'll give you twenty dollars if you can choose the Queen!"

"Hey! Mister!" Duo yelled to the dealer. "I'll give it a try!"

"All right!" He then placed out the cards, and then waited for Duo

Seeing that he was waiting for proof he had the money, Duo confidently placed his last five onto the table. He then smirked at the dealer as he watched him shuffle the cards.

"Ok, here we go" He told Duo as he quickly shuffled the cards. "Watch the cards carefully" And with those last few words, his hands flew shuffling the cards together quickly, in a flutter of white and black. Smiling to himself, thinking he had gotten a sucker.

Duo didn't even bother to pay attention to the dealer's hands, he'd never lost at this game before, and he was sure he'd win this time just like all the other times before. He didn't know how he did it, but every single time he picked the right card. It was if whatever card he chose became whatever he wanted it to be, but that was impossible? It could never happen. Yet, he always did pick the right card, and if you got a dealer who did the game correctly, the dealer would always either pocket the card and replace it with another somehow, while he distracted you, or he never really had it in the deck to begin with. However, that never seemed to happen with Duo.

The sound of the dealer announcing, that he'd never pick the right card, brought him out of his reflection.

"Now, boy, which one is it?" The dealer taunted.

Duo lifted his hand over the table and then felt a force? Some sort of sense? made him feel that the one on the far left was the Queen. How he knew, he couldn't tell you, but he was sure that *that* was the queen. Then with one quick fluid movent, he flipped it over, and there on the table lay the Queen of Spades.

The crowd that had gathered, while Duo had been plying cheered for him, and Duo laughed as he watched the shocked expression on the dealer's face deepen, and then slightly tinge with anger.

Before Duo could get his money, the dealer reclaimed the cards "Double or quits.. mister??"

"Shinigami's the name"

"Ah, So Shinigami, Double or Quits?"

With a wicked smile, Duo told him "Double"

'That means I'll get 60 dollars instead of 20 in the long run'

Then the dealer once a gain shuffled the cards, yet this time he went much faster, trying to outsmart 'Shinigami'. Then after a minute or so of shuffling, the dealer stopped and put the cards, face down on the table, like before. "So Shinigami, take your pick" speaking with the false confidence that there was no way he could pick the Queen of Spades. Now grinning widely, as he knew that no matter which card 'Shinigami' picked, it'd be the wrong one.

Duo smiled at the dealers confidence a flipped over the card on the right?. only to reveal the Queen of Spades once more.

The shocked expression on the dealer's face threw both Duo and the crowd into peals of laughter.

As the dealer wondered over and over how the hell this kid could be winning, he began to get angry. Somehow this kid was cheating him, someway somehow.

Duo held out the card to the street dealer, laughter still shining brightly in his eyes as he gave the card back to the dealer. "That'll be sixty" Duo told him.

With a scowl the dealer once more attempted to gather his dignity and faced the crowd. "Anyone else here think that Shinigami here should give it another try?"

A cheer from the crowd answered his question and he settled his gaze onto Duo. "Well once more or quits?" He asked him, with a large smirk across his face.

"I'll play again." Duo replied with a happy go lucky grin, across his elfin features.

Firmly convinced that this time no matter how good this kid was, he wasn't going to be conned at his own game again, the dealer let his hands fly across the table. Shuffling the cards with the speed of a whirlwind. Then with the abruptness with which he had started, he stopped and arranged the cards onto a final formation on the table. "Pick the Queen and win another twenty"

"Yosh. If you say so." Duo was about to pick the card in the middle, when he felt the presence of someone behind him. Their gaze burning into his back, with slight annoyance he turned around, to see?.


A woman, standing about two feet behind him. She stood there cloaked in black, and what bothered Duo the most was that she was smiling, and it was a creepy smile at that.

"Who the hell are you!?"

The woman smile widens and she looks up, her bright green eyes, burning into Duo's soft violet ones.

"Call me LeCora if you will?"

"I asked who you are, not for a name, those don't tell me much about you do they."

Lecora started to laugh, when she was still giggling, she pointed over to the dealer who was now trembling with barely suppressed anger.

"Hey, Shini-whatever, get back over here and finish!"

At hearing the dealer's voice Duo turned around, and was about to pick up the middle card when the dealer, quickly intercepted the move, and flipped it over for himself? ' This time, this kid, wasn't gonna con him', but as he turned the card over, he saw? The queen of spades once more.

The crowd cheered for Duo while the dealer grabbed the sleeve of his shirt and pulled him down. "Just how the hell are you doing this, kid!?"

Duo smiled and told him luck.

"Whatever kid, I don't believe in luck."

Then LeCora moved forward, calmly taking the dealer's hand off Duo. Then she threw back her long, black hair with a shake of her head and continued?

"It is not luck, but skill.
You change the card with your will"

"What do you mean skill!?" The dealer practically growled. "There is no fucking way that he could win this game out of skill. He just can't."

"Surely I jest not.
Take a look for yourself.
All three cards will be the same.
They'll all be the Queen of Spades."

With that said she reached for the cards on the table, and just before she flipped them over, she looked Duo in the eyes.

"What you see will be true.
But you must remember
That with magic on your side.
You'll never lose"

"Nani?"

With a smile she flipped all the cards over to reveal? As she had said three Queens of Spades. Duo just couldn't believe it and while he wondered about what the hell was going on, he twirled the card he had picked up and stared at it. 'How?'

LeCora watching him with her green eyes, replied to his thought.

"Your magic allows you to change things.
On Earth they will be small?
Yet on Treen they'll be large."

"How do you know about Treen?"

"Enough, but I suggest you get moving?"

"Huh?" He finally saw that the dealer was angry enough to kill him there and then. 'Screw all the witnesses, I'm going to kill him! He completely cheated me!'

With that Duo broke into a run, clutching his 60 dollars, which he quickly stuffed into his pockets. Blissfully unaware of the danger that waited him at his next turn?

Duo walked along a long alleyway, long since he'd lost the card dealer inside the crowd. As he walked, he reflected on the things that had happened prior to his running away. That woman had said he could change things. He hadn't completely bought what she said, yet it all added up. There was no other way to explain the cards changing like that.

As he thought about it, an idea struck him. Why not test it out to be sure? So he dug into his pockets, looking for something small to change. Yet with his luck he only found the money he'd just earned. Suddenly it dawned on him that if he could change the cards, why couldn't he change the money he'd just won.

Smoothing the bill unconsciously, he closed his eyes and pictured the bill in his hand changing to a hundred instead of a twenty. As he opened his eyes once more, he saw that he'd been able to change the bill to a hundred. Just as he had imagined.

'Well if I had known I had this ability, I would have used it ages ago and made sure that me and mom lived in a house. Far from the clutches of Solo.'

With that unpleasant thought he continued to make his way down the alley. Completely unaware of the evil that loomed directly above him.

*****

That was their victim. It was there alone, and ripe for the picking. It'd only be a matter of time now that they'd found their victim, their prey, their chosen one.

They laughed at the sight of their prey. That weedy child was the chosen one?! The universe must be playing a joke. Here they were sent to capture a powerful magician. Poor child, he will soon meet his end?

With a snicker the Shadows dropped down and found the perfect human hosts, not even a block away. Quickly and as one they entered the bodies of the gang members they'd found, and quickly and efficiently informed their hosts of a small boy with money, merely down the street.

Without a word the gang group moved down the street with the cover of silence. Towards the small figure in the alleyway, which had yet to notice their presence.

*****

Just as he turned the corner of the alley, he realized what trouble he'd just gotten himself into. He'd been so distracted testing his powers, that he'd just run into the local gang district. And the particular territory he'd just entered was home to a very violent and territorial gang as well. He'd seen them kill full grown men, and then get away with it clean. Their victims never even saw them coming.

'Shit?' Duo thought as he noticed the figures moving towards him. 'Today's just not my day?'

As some of the figures walked, flashes of silver could be seen. 'They're armed with knives' Duo realized with a start.

"Anou? hey?." Duo called out to the gang. Yet they did absolutely nothing. Duo thought they were ignoring him till they came close enough for him to see their eyes. They were cold. He'd never seen eyes like that. As if they one-sided mirrors? only allowing one side to look out while the other was trapped inside. And their faces looked as if they had been wiped of any expressions or emotions. Very chilling to see them advance him like that. Under normal circumstances, they'd mock and taunt him while they took whatever he had.

And today he had something very worth their while. He had more money in his pocket than he could ever recall having at any point in his life.

Yet with another look at them, he realized that they may not only be after his money, but his life. They were going to kill him.

With no choice, Duo spun around and ran. He didn't care where he went as long as it was in the opposite direction of where the gang was headed.

At the first alley he saw, he turned and ran in there. Following every street and alley he could find. Knowing that he still hadn't lost the gang. They were still in deep pursuit of him. He could hear their footsteps, and he was tiring.

As he was running through the short street, he noticed it was a dead end. With a river behind it, and the fence that was blocking it was topped with barbed wire. There was no way around it.

'Shit! They'll get me for sure now'.

Just then the gang arrived into the street, looking as pissed off as they could without expressions.

It made Duo's hair crawl to see them like that, almost as if they had auras of evil surround in them. And all that Duo could do was watch them as they advanced on him with their knives ready, and a murderous glare in their eyes.

*****

Fear?.

Fear everywhere. The shadows laughed, their little prey was scared of them, well that pleased them. It was no fun to chase their prey when it wasn't scared. It made them almost want to give it a reward for making this hunt so enjoyable. After all, he was cooperating, and he made all the fuss they'd wanted him to.

Their goal was to get him the river, they could already feel the energy coming. Well, no matter to them, they were never told they couldn't play with their prey?

*****

The gang was advancing on him, only a matter of time before they'd rip him piece from piece and laugh as the blood soaked the ground.

Just then a wave of water splashed all over him and the gang, knocking them all to the ground. As Duo fell, he saw something explode under the water and then rise into the air in a beautiful display of golden lights. From his position on the ground he could see that a large golden colored lion, with sparkling bright emerald eyes, had caused the explosion.

Now, as to what lion was doing in New York, much less in a river outside of a zoo, was beyond him.

As if it had control of it's speed while landing, it landed with ultimate grace and balance. Making it look as if it had floated down.

As soon as it's four feet were on the ground, it started to change. It began to look more human than lion, and soon there was a young boy, with weird bang, emerald colored eyes, and in a tunic, which looked as if it had been made from the hide of a lion.

"If you value your life, you'll get over here." The boy said to Duo.

With a slight nod, Duo tried to get up and over to the boy. Yet with all the water that had fallen everywhere, he slipped and fell, just as a knife flew through the air and had nearly gotten him in the head.

With a growl, the mysterious boy had the gang member on the floor of the alley, with his neck broken.

The rest of the gang moved away in awe, making sure as they moved not to attract the attention on the boy.

*****

The shadows snickered. That fool. He couldn't kill them. Well, their host bodies were expendable, yet their job here was done. Time to let their hosts fend for themselves.

As one, they moved. Slowly fading out of their hosts, allowing them to deal with the changeling. They themselves had more to prey to hunt, and he was merely delaying them.

Together, they moved as one to the next planet.

*****

"All of you shall die" The boy told the gang, who were now looking around as if they'd just woken up. Noticing the boy, they brought up their knives. Yet that was before they noticed their dead member, upon seeing him they all fled. Leaving the changeling with Duo. All except one that is. Obviously the leader, for he drew a large silver pistol, which he aimed directly at Duo.

"Tactical retreat"

"Nani?"

"We are leaving"

"We?"

Not answering Duo, the boy picked up Duo with one hand and simply leaped over the fence, falling towards the watery depth of the river, lined with jagged rocks?.

-END OF CHAPTER 1-

{1} For all of you who have read this before in Diadem, I wanted to make LeCora a girl. Doesn't it work out nicely? I think it makes more sense for 'him' t be a woman? Also, I didn't make her speak in rhymes, just now it'll be riddles or she'll skirt about whatever she is trying to tell them. Works better for me. Sorry for all you fans out there, he will remain a she?

[[****]] I just put all of Duo's parts together to make one large chapter and I am going to do the same for Wufei who is next... Everybody please review. I want to know what you think.


To Chapter 2
Back to The Archive