|Tullibody Stories - scroll on down or use the links below|
|The Origins of the Village of Tullibody - Click on the small picture to see a larger version|
According to local tradition, Tullibody was founded
in the year 834AD by Kenneth MacAlpin, King of Scots. King Kenneth and
his army is said to have camped on the
Baingle Brae the night before he defeated the Picts and overthrew the
Pictish Kingdom. It is said that when King Kenneth and his army camped
there, he and his followers took an oath that they would not lay down
their arms until they or their adversaries fell. After the battle, the
victors returned to their camping ground and the King caused a stone
to be erected where the Royal Standard then stood. It was at this time
that King Kenneth is said to have founded the present village, which
he called 'Tirl-bothy', said to mean 'The oath of the crofts'. The King's
stone was known as 'The Stanin' Stane o' Kenneth McAlpin' . That
stone was removed, by persons presently unknown, about 1805. The stone
stood about 100 yards east from the point where the low and high roads
branch off at the Ditch Loan. King Kenneth is thought to have founded
the present village a little to the east of his Stone, probably around
the area of the Auld Kirk..
History tells us that by about 900AD the four main peoples - the Picts (the original inhabitants), the Dál Riata (Scots or Gaels), the Britons and the Angles, who lived in what we today call Scotland, were united in one Kingdom called Alba (pronounced Alapa), which later came to be called Scotland. The man historians credit with the creation of this kingdom, is the new kingdom's first king, Kenneth MacAlpin, Cinaed mac Ailpin, who rose to prominence in about 842 AD. Kenneth MacAlpin, King of Scots and Picts, Ard-righ Albainn, died at Forteviot and was laid to rest on Iona in 860 AD. The Picts and Scots had been united under other Kings before King Kenneth, but it is King Kenneth who is credited with creating a Kingdom, and a dynasty, both of which survived his death. King Kenneth's original kingdom of Alba lay north of the Forth and Clyde. Alba is still the Gaelic name for Scotland today.
The original village or 'clachan' of Tullibody, which King Kenneth is said to have founded, lay round about the Auld Kirk and the Priest's Well in the present graveyard. The picture shows the marker for that well in May 2001. The old village was demolished in 1805 by the Abercrombies, who owned the whole place then, and a new 'improved' village built to the south of it around the present-day Tron court. It was about that time that the 'The Stanin' Stane o' Kenneth McAlpin' disapeared. Much of this 'new' village was mostly demolished in the 1960s, when the present day Main Street and Tron Court were built
In the War Memorial at Tullibody - In 1920, a large boulder, known as 'Samson's Button' or the 'Haer Stane', was used as a base, into which was plugged a replica of 'The Stanin' Stane o' Kenneth McAlpin'. The cross is of granite and stands 10ft 6 inches in height. - The 'Haer Stane' is listed by the Royal Commission of Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland as one of Scotland's Ancient Monuments. It is said to be lying exactly where it was dropped by a glacier over 10,000 years ago. It was chosen as the War memorial - in memory of the 27 local men who fell in the Great War (1914-18) - because it lay half way between the two villages from which they came - (Cambus and Tullibody). It is said that the Haer Stane used to be surrounded by a ring of about 60 rough, methodically arranged, upright stones each about two or three feet high. Such a stone circle would date from before 800 AD.
A large stone in a field on the campus of Stirling University, in what was the grounds of Airthrey Castle, marks what is said to be the actual site of King Kenneth McAlpin's battle with the Picts. The stone is over eight feet in height. Sir Robert Abercromby bought Airthrey Castle in 1796, and Airthrey Castle subsequently succeeded Tullibody House as the Abercromby Seat. Did the Abercrombies take 'The Stanin' Stane o' Kenneth McAlpin' with them when they moved to their new house? Is this it? The hills in the background are the Ochils.
|Other sources say that like most of the names in Clackmannanshire, the name Tullibody comes from the Gaelic and is descriptive, from - tulach - meaning a knoll or hillock and both or bothy meaning a cottage or hut, so that the name perhaps means the small hill with huts on it. Tullibody may be far older than 834 AD. People have lived in this area for many thousands of years. Testimony to this is the midden of seashells, mostly oyster shells, which date back to 4470-4158 BC, recently found on nearby Braehead Golf Course. These shells were left there by Hunter-Gatherers who lived there then. Also, the old local place name of 'Banchory' is thought to be derived from 'Bangor' (Irish and Welsh) and indicates that in early times Tullibody may have been a place where religious education was carried on with a view to training the Celtic monks who went out to the country round about to evangelise the people. The village has various names in old records, as Tullibothy, Tullebotheuin, Tullibodeuin, and Dumbodenum.|
|Back to top of page|
|SAINTS - The present-day Tullibody Parish Church is dedicated to St. Serf. The ruined Tullibody Auld Kirk (old Church) was originally dedicated, pre-reformation, to St. Mungo. The first day of July is St. Serf's Day. St. Serf presents a legendary, even mythical figure, and stories associated with him may refer to more than one person. St. Serf is credited with conquering the local religion of Manau (a sea God) and setting up Churches in the Ochils area sometime between 400 and 700 AD. Manau is the old name for the district around Clackmannan - see below. St. Serf is said to have slain a dragon at Dunning and performed various miracles. He also made prophecies. His travelling companion was a ram. One story has it that St. Serf was ordained in the 5th century by St. Palladius at Culross. St. Serf is said by some to have actually founded the monastery at Culross in the 5th century. St. Serf, also known as Servanus, is also said to have occupied a hermitage at Culross, and after many wanderings to have died there. According to another story, St. Serf (also known as St. Servius) taught the Faith to St. Mungo (also known as St. Kentigern) at Culross. Mungo means 'dear one' and Kentigern means 'chief lord'. St. Mungo is said to have been born at Culross. Saint Mungo (or Kentigern) died on 13th January 603 and he is remembered on this day each year by a service in Glasgow Cathedral, where his tomb was once a place of pilgrimage. Both St. Serf and St. Mungo are also said to have owed their knowledge of Christianity to St. Ninian - 'the Apostle of the Southern Picts'. St. Ninian (whose real name may have been Uinniau) was born in Galloway, in Southwest Scotland. He was the son of a Chieftain. St. Ninian studied divinity at Rome. The Pope made him a Bishop, but his real master was St. Martin, Bishop of Tours. St Ninian (or Uinniau) lived from 360 to 432 AD. In 731 AD, Bede, a Northumberland historian, wrote in his Historia Ecclesiastica that St Ninian was the first named Christian in Scotland.|
- The picture shows the Stone of Mannan or Manau, a whinstone boulder
three foot long by two feet, which to this day occupies pride of place
in the main street of Clackmannan.
Clach na Manau is the Gaelic version of the original name for the Stone
of Manau, the core of an ancient Kingdom and the derivation of the name
Clackmannan. The Stone of Manau is perched on top
of a monolithic plinth, which was dragged from the Abbey Craig near
Stirling in 1833. Although locals dispute how long the stone of Manua
was at its previous location, near Clackmannan, on the 'Look Aboot Ye
Brae', by the nearby River Forth, legend has it that the Stone has played
a roll in the community since pagan times, when it was worshipped for
supposedly containing the spirit of Manau, a Celtic God of the sea and
fertility. Even today, locals joke that the stone continues to confer
virility on local men and fertility on local women. Manau is the old
name for the whole district around Clackmannan.
|The Vikings - In c. 877 AD, the Scottish King Constantine II (son of Kenneth MacAlpin) had a battle with Danish Vikings at Dolair. The Danes won, many of the Scots were slain and the rest were pursued into Fife, where Constantine was killed - www.dollarcommunity.org.uk|
|Tullibody in the 12th Century|
In the middle of the twelfth century
Tullibody was a well-endowed living in the gift of a family of Makbeth.
The incumbent was Hugh of Rokesburgh, who was secretary to Nicolis the
Chancellor of Scotland. We learn from Bishop Keith that he was appointed
Bishop of Glasgow in 1199.
Above - Pictures of Tullibody Auld Kirk - (Old Church). The Auld Kirk has been roofless since 1917, but there has been a church on this site since at least 1147, when King David I granted the lands and Inches (islands) of Tullibody to Cambus Kenneth Abbey. The present ruins are 16th century. The original clachan (or village) probably existed around the Auld Kirk until about 1805. More than likely, the original Clachan stood around the Priests Well (capped in 1905) a few yards to the East of the Auld Kirk, in the New Graveyard..
1147, David I, King of Scots,(1124-1153) the 'sair sanct for the croun,'
built the noble Abbey of Cambuskenneth, known at first as the Church
of St. Mary at Stirling. To this Abbey the king was generous in his
gifts, and in a document of a liberal character we find this reference
to Tullibody: - 'In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the
Holy Spirit. Amen. I, David, by the grace of God King of the Scots,
with the assent of Henry, my son, and the confirmation and witness of
the bishops, earls, and barons of my kingdom, grant to the church of
St. Mary at Striveling, and to the canons regularly living in it, those
subjects undernoted, and I confirm it in perpetual peace. These, then,
are what I grant o the foresaid church ... also the land of Dunbodeuin
(Tullibody), which is between the water of that land (Colling)
and the land of Lochin ... and the island which is between Polmasse
|Back to top of page|
The Myretoun Maid
On the north side of Tullibody Auld Kirk, in the graveyard, lie the remains of a stone coffin known as the 'Maiden Stone'. Sometime around 1450, in the reign of King James II, the priest of Tullibody, Peter Beaton, is said to have got the Myretoun Maid, Martha Wishart, pregnant. Martha was the daughter of the Laird of Myretoun. The priest, after completely winning the damsels affections, proved insincere. He is said to have been lured by the prospect of ecclesiastical advancement and broken his vows to the maid. The maid died of a broken heart because of the affair. On her death-bed she gave instructions that her body be placed in a raised stone coffin by the north door of the church, so that the site of it might shame her betrayer as he went to and from Mass. The priest is said to have caused the north door of the Church to be built up, and the present south door opened out, so that he might not have to pass her grave. The priest is said to have been shunned by everybody, eventually went mad and died a maniac.
|Back to top of page|
|King O' Muirs|
Click on the
small picture to see the larger version
'Guidman' literally means 'good man'. In those days, a Guidman or Gudeman, however you spell it, meant a tenant farmer. 'Ballengeich' is Gaelic for the 'Winding Pass', the name for the back way into Stirling Castle - the entry away from the town. Picture on the left shows Stirling Castle. The castle is about seven miles from Tullibody.
In 1513 Henry VIII of England invaded France. James IV, King of Scots, (Father of James V - 'the Gudeman of Ballengeich') in support of the 'Auld Alliance' between Scotland and France, then invaded England. This invasion led, in 1513, to the Battle of Flodden. The Battle of Flodden was a disastrous defeat for the Scots, with estimates of Scottish losses numbering as high as ten thousand. Numerous nobles were killed in the battle, including King James. James V was born in 1512, and, because of his fathers early death at Flodden, was a 17-month old baby when he came to the throne. He was married twice - first to Madelaine of France, with whom he had no children; then to Mary of Guise, with whom he had three children, James, Arthur and Mary. James's reign ended quite suddenly. He had been unwell since a hunting accident in 1537. In 1541, both of his young sons died. In 1542 the Scots once more invaded England in support of the Auld Alliance with France and were defeated at the Battle of Solway Moss on 24th November 1542. After these events, a disappointed King James (who was not actually at the battle) is said to have simply taken to his bed and died. His last words were said to have been the oft quoted (but untrue) prophecy about the Stewart dynasty - 'It came with a lass and it will pass with a lass'. James V's remaining daughter grew up to become Mary, Queen of Scots, whose son, James VI, in 1603, became James I of the United Kingdoms of England and Scotland on the Death of Elizabeth I of England. James VI of Scotland was Elizabeth I of England's nearest relation. This led to the establishment of the United Kingdom as we know it today.
|Back to top of page|
|The Auld Brig|
The Auld Brig (Old Bridge) was erected
about 1535 over the nearby River Devon. It was one of several bridges
erected in the neighbourhood of Stirling by Robert Spittal, philanthropist
and Royal tailor. Born around 1480, he had become tailor to King James
IV and Queen Margaret by 1509. The King and Queen often lived in Stirling
Castle. During his lifetime, Spittal gave to worthy causes and is
especially remembered for providing the area with three vital bridges,
at Doune, Bannockburn and Tullibody. The Auld Brig at Tullibody is
hog backed to slow traffic in the interests of safety, it has two
river and three flood arches. It measures a total of 442 feet in length
and is 20 feet in width at the approaches, narrowing down to 11 feet
6 inches over the central portion. The Auld Brig now, in 2011,
provides a route for pedestrians and cyclists.
On 23rd January 1560 Kirkcaldy of Grange broke
down the east-most arch of the Auld Brig to impede a French army in
their retreat from Fife - 'William Kirkaldie cutt the Brig of Tullibodye'.
The French, under D'Oisel, were there to support the Regent Mary during
disputes between her and her subjects. The Regent Mary was the widow
of King James V, and mother of Mary Queen of Scots. The Catholic French
had been in Fife, but when a Protestant English fleet cut off their
route back to Edinburgh they retreated towards Stirling to cross the
Forth there. They found an arch of the bridge over the Devon at Tullibody
had been destroyed so they repaired it with the roof of the church.
The French used the rafters from the roof of Tullibody Auld Kirk to
make a bridge across the Devon. According to John Knox - 'the French,
expert enouch sicne factis, took doon the roofe of a parish church
and maid a brig over the water called Dovane and so they escapit and
came to Striveling, (Stirling) and syne to Leith.'
1915, the Auld Brig was replaced by the more
modern steel framed Downies Bridge and the Auld Brig fell into disuse.
Downies Bridge was in use until Sunday 8th August 1999 when it was
closed, because of danger of collapse. On the Thursday before this
date, engineering consultants abseiled below Downies Bridge and discovered
a fresh buckle in the main beam. The bridge also suffered from substantial
corrosion with loose and missing rivets. A new bridge had been built
for some time but had not been brought into use because of shortage
of cash. Council workers hoped to have the new bridge in use by Sunday
August 22nd. They worked 15-hour shifts seven days a week to finish
the bridge. The closure of the bridge caused traffic chaos in the
area. The new bridge was opened to traffic on the evening of 18th
August 1999, ahead of schedule. Downies bridge was demolished in
March, 2003. The picture on the left shows Downies Bridge - I
never heard it called Downies Bridge until after it was closed!
2003 - Since the opening of the new road (A907)
and the new bridge, what was the old Stirling road and the now refurbished
Auld Brig now forms a way for pedestrians and cyclists (it's part
of the National Cycle Network). For pictures of the new road and bridge
go to pictures
Other old Bridges in the locality -
|Back to top of page|
|The Vicar's Bridge - The Good Vicar of Dollar|
Thomas Cocklaw, the last Catholic Priest
at Tullibody before the Reformation, adopted the principles of the reformers.
On finding marriage warranted by the Scriptures, he took himself a wife.
This so enraged the superior clergy that they apprehended three of the
four men who had been at the wedding. They were John Keillar, a black
friar, John Bevarage, also a black friar and Duncan Simpson, a priest
at Stirling. All these suffered death by fire at the stake on the castle
hill of Edinburgh. The king himself came to see this horror. Thomas
Forrest was the Good Vicar of Dollar, who was seized by Bishop
Beaton and burnt at the stake following has attendance at Thomas Cocklaw's
wedding. The Vicar's Bridge is east of Dollar on a side road. It is
signposted on the A91 Stirling to St. Andrews Road between Dollar and
Muckhart. A bridge was erected on this site over the Devon in the 16th
A 1765 plaque (left hand picture above) states - Sacred to the memory of Thomas Forrest the worthy Vicar of Dollar who among other acts of benevolence built this bridge. He died a martyr A.D. 1538. The plaque is still there, although it is almost illegible. The middle picture shows the location of the plaque on the opposite side of the bridge from the lay-bye. This is a beautiful place, but it has more than one dark association. An old oak tree nearby has the initials JB cut into its bark. In 1865 Joseph Bell attacked a baker near the bridge. He was found guilty of murder and became the last person to have a public execution in Scotland. His ghost is said to haunt this place - it is believable. It can be a dark and forbidding place. The original bridge collapsed in the 1950's and has since been replaced. Nearby public footpaths follow the original medieval roads in the area. Click on the small picture to see the larger version - (800x600 pixels)
Thomas Cocklaw was tried for the crime
of getting married by the then Bishop of Dunblane. At his trial he was
also accused of reading the bible to his people. The Bishop tried reason,
explaining in a friendly way that he managed very well without reading
the Bible himself. And that it was a pity to make all this fuss about
it. When it came to the question of marriage, the Bishop was very stern,
although he had seven children himself and was not married to their
Mother. It was quite common in those days for Priests to have unofficial
families - but they were not supposed to get married. Thomas Cocklaw
fled for his life, but he was caught in England and burned at the stake.
We do not know the fate of Cocklaw's wife. The trial was on 17th January
1538 or 39 - depending on which calendar you use. (In 1582 Pope Gregory
XIII published a Papal Bull that established a new-style (Gregorian)
calendar, but it took Britain almost 200 years to follow suit.)
Thomas Forret (d. 1540)
Thomas Forret, Vicar of Dollar, Clackmannanshire, and Scottish martyr, was descended from an old family which possessed the estate of Forret in the parish of Logie, Fifeshire, from the reign of William the Lion till the seventeenth century. The name is sometimes erroneously given as Forrest. His father had been master stabler to James IV. The catholic priest, Sir John Forret, for permitting whom to administer the sacrament of baptism at Swinton in 1573 the Bishop of St. Andrews was complained against (Calderwood, History, iii.272), was probably a near relative.
As at that time in Scotland no one except a black friar or grey friar was in the habit of preaching, the friars, offended at the innovation, denounced him to the Bishop of Dunkeld as a heretic, and one that "shewed the mysteries of the Scriptures to the vulgar people in English." The bishop, who had no interest whatever in ecclesiastical controversies, remonstrated with Forret not only for preaching "every Sunday," but for the more serious offence of not taking the usual due from the parishioners when any one died, of "the cow and the uppermost cloth, "remarking that the people would expect others to do as he did. He advised Forret, therefore, if he was determined to preach, to preach only on "one good Epistle or one good Gospell that setteth forth the libertie of the holie church." On Forret explaining that he had never found any evil epistle or gospel in the New or Old Testament, then "spake my lord stoutlie and said, "I thank God that I never knew what the Old and the New Testament was". This innocent instance of devout gratitude on the part of the bishop gave rise to the proverb in Scotland: "Ye are like the Bishop of Dunkeld that knew neither the new law nor the old law." Forret systematically warned his parishioners against the sellers of indulgences. He also took care specially to teach them the ten commandments, and composed a short catechism for their instruction on points of prime importance in Christian belief. He was in the habit of carrying bread and cheese in his gown sleeve to any poor person who was ill. He studied from six in the morning till twelve, and again from dinner till supper; and, in order the better to hold his own against disputants, committed three chapters in Latin of the New Testament to memory every day, making his servant, Andrew Kirkie, hear him repeat them at night.
Though several times summoned before the
Bishop of Dunkeld he escaped further interference until February 1539-40,
when he and four others were summoned before Beaton, the bishop of Glasgow,
and the Bishop of Dunblane as "chief heretics and teachers of heresy",
and especially for being present at the marriage of the vicar of Tullibodie,
and for eating flesh in Lent at the marriage. They were on 28 February
burned on the Castle Hill of Edinburgh.
|Back to top of page|
11th May 1559, John Knox preached a sermon 'vehement against idolatory'
in the Church of St. John in Perth. As a result, members of the congregation
damaged the ornaments of the Church, and then rushed out to sack the
houses of the Grey and Black Friars, and the Carthusian Monastery. That's
how the reformation started in Scotland.
Tullibody got the freedom of Protestantism early, but in that freedom lost her revenues. A certain 'Commendator,' Adam Erskine, who made no provision for service in the parish, appropriated the stipend of Tullibody Kirk. The damage done to the Auld Kirk by the French was soon repaired (see story about The Auld Brig ), and readers appointed to conduct the service for lack of duly qualified clergy. Among their duties was teaching in the village school. The names of three such persons are known: -1567 - Andrew Drysdail - 1574 - John Kempt - 1576 - Thomas Makbreck. In 1579 the people subscribed for a minister and the Presbytery appointed Alexander Faergie. It could not have been a success, because within a year the minister was 'forcit by poverty' to leave. In 1581 the County of Clackmannan was divided into the parishes of Cambus Kenneth, consisting of the lands immediately around the Abbey; Logie, Clackmannan, Tullibody and Tillicoultry, in the Presbytery of Stirling; and Dollar, in the Presbytery of Dunfermline. In 1593 a minister of Alloa was appointed to serve the parish of Tullibody, and in 1600 the two parishes were united.
Click on the small picture
to see the larger version
Famine in Scotland - In 1623, the crops failed and many peasants abandoned their empty holdings and wandered through the countryside in search of alms to ward of starvation. There were severe outbreaks of disease and famine in the 1640s and 1690s.
1643 - On the eve of his march to the
battle of Kilsyth, the Marquis of Montrose quartered his men in Tullibody
woods, and while he dined with the Earl of Mar his men 'barbarously
plundered the nearby town of Alloa'.
Tullibody 1805 - The Moving of the Village
After the reformation, Church services at Tullibody seem to have been very irregular, and ultimately ceased. About 1760, George Abercromby, Laird of Tullibody, roofed in the Auld Kirk with blue tiles, which were replaced in 1824 to protect a tomb, the Tullibody family, with others, having taken to burying within the walls, during the time of ruin. Sir Ralph Abercromby procured a bell for the Auld Kirk, and the belfry was built for it by Alexander Fairlie. It was an old-man-o'-war's bell, and bore the inscription, 'Duke of Kingston, 1756'. At this time an addition was made to the kirkyard. Both round the 'Priests Well' and on the west of the church there still remained the oldest part of the village - the old Clachan. Between 1790 and 1805 new roads were made, the old Clachan around the Auld Kirk was removed; the parsonage, which stood north-west of the well, had been in ruins since 1600; and the new town rigs were laid out (presumably) in the area of the present day Tron Court - and perhaps also around Tullibody Cross. The whole complexion of the village was altered. It would appear that the old village was demolished and the inhabitants removed to what would have been an 'improved' new village. It was around this time that the 'Stan'in' Stane o' Kenneth McAlpine' which by then had stood on the western declivity for nearly a thousand years, about 100 yards from where the low and high roads branch of at the ditch loaning, was removed.
Ministers - Church of Scotland
and The Free Church at Tullibody
A working system came about that the Church of Scotland Minister at Alloa (St. Mungos) was also the Minister at Tullibody. His assistant, usually a probationary minister, normally took the services at Tullibody. In 1843 the congregation of Tullibody Free Church was formed by members of the Church of Scotland who, in Tullibody and surrounding district, formed themselves into a Free Church congregation under Mr. Stevenson, who at that time was assistant in the Parish. They worshipped in the Auld Kirk until 1844, when they removed to a purpose built church. Tullibody Free Church, by John Burnet, 1844, was built to a superior design to many buildings in pointed gothic. It is one of the earliest surviving buildings of John Burnet (senior). The Manse, next door to the Free Church (now the Church Hall), was erected in 1847/48 for the free church minister and the architect for this building was John Melvin (senior)
After the Free Church Congregation moved to their new church in 1844, the Auld Kirk was abandoned until Mr. Murray, assisted by Mr. Kelly, started to hold services there. In March 1879, Mr. Bryson took over there. He became Church of Scotland Minister at Alloa and Tullibody on 15th September 1870.
Free Church Ministers at Tullibody were; 1843 - George Stevenson, who went to India; 1857 - William P. Goldie, who went to Stirling; 1869 - John Girvan, who went to Maryhill; 1857 - Andrew Thom MA, who was the Free Church Minister until his death in 1929.
After Rev. Thom's Death the two Churches in Tullibody,
the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, were united. Rev.
W.D.O. Rose, from Ayton, Berwickshire, became Minister to the combined
congregations on 5th July 1929. Rev Thom had lived in the manse. After
his death Rev Rose and his family lived there. At first services were
held on alternate weeks in the Free Church and the Parish Church (St
Serfs) which had been built in 1904.The Free Church building was converted
into the Church Hall in 1951. Rev Rose was minister at Tullibody till
he died in 1951.
Church of Scotland Ministers at Tullibody from
1904 when the new parish Church (St. Serfs) was opened (the Auld Kirk's
roof was removed in 1917 for safety reasons) - 1904 - Rev L MacLean
Watt ; assistant -Rev Andrew Robertson; 1905 - assistant - Rev A L
Kemp MA; 1909 - assistant - Rev Thomas Caldwell; 1912 - assistant
- Rev Harry Leggatt MA; 1914 - assistant - Rev A W Scudamore Forbes
(away at the war); 1918 - Mr George C Thomson was the preacher. Rev
Thomas Miller stood in for Rev Scudamore while he was away at the
War. 1920 - Rev RJ Thomson took over from Rev L MacLean Watt. 1929
- Rev WDO Rose - see above. Ministers at Tullibody - 1951 - Rev Ian
L Cowie; 1961 - Rev George Charlton; 1968 - Rev
Charles Chirnside; 1986 - Rev Andrew B Dick; 2000 - Rev TJ Brown
|Back to top of page|
|The Abercrombies - The Lairds of Tullibody|
The ABERCROMBIES came to Clackmannanshire
from Skein in Aberdeenshire. George (died 1699) buying the estate around
Tullibody in circa 1655. Alexander (1675-1754), the second Laird, was
only a near relative who had lived with George since childhood. A committed
Hanovarian, he built the house and laid out the grounds, acquiring nearby
Menstrie Castle in 1719. His son George (1705 - 1800), second of Tullibody,
one time Professor of Law at Edinburgh University, was the Laird who
brought fame to the estate. A noted improver, he lived to the age of
95, to see has eldest son knighted; he was
Sir Ralph Abercromby, later hero of the battle of Abikour Bay, Egypt,
(fighting Napoleon) in which he was killed; his second son knighted,
Sir Robert Abercromby, Governor of Bombay; and his third son Lord Abercromby,
a Law Lord in the Court of Session. In Waverly, Sir Walter Scott relates
how his young hero Edward Waverly, a guest at Tully-Veolan House, pays
a visit to an outlawed clan chieftain - Donald Bean Lean - to negotiate
the return of his host's stolen cattle. The story
was based on an incident when, as a young man, Abercromby found that
his cattle were apt to be stolen by raiders of the Clan MacGregor. Abercromby
chose to visit the celebrated Rob Roy MacGregor, and it is this visit
to Rob Roy's cave that is written about by Scott. Mr. Abercromby was
regaled with beef from two of his own cattle, and was dismissed in perfect
safety, after having agreed to pay in future a small sum of blackmail,
in consideration of which Rob Roy not only understood not to steal his
herds in future but to replace any that should be stolen from him by
In 1833 the Auld Kirk was again put
in order. The west windows were broken out, the old north bole was filled
in, the area was seated with pews, and once more there was a regular
church service at Tullibody. In 1837, the old bell was unfortunately
cracked, and so a new one was cast, which bore the inscription 'Tullibody,
1838,' and measured twenty inches in depth by twenty-five inches in
diameter. In 1838 the communion was celebrated, and the services continued
until 1843, when Mr. Stevenson, who was then assistant, left with the
party that formed the Free Church. On the erection of the Free Church
the Auld Kirk was again deserted till the time of Mr. Murray. Mr. Kelly
of Alva having been appointed by Dr. Brotherson his helper, the two
young ministers once more resumed the Tullibody services. During the
incumbency of Mr. Shaw there was again a break. In March 1879 Reverend
Bryson resumed regular services (but nowadays in the Parish Church (built
1904) along the road) there is a Divine service every Sabbath, and the
Communion is celebrated twice a year. A Sabbath school has likewise
been formed, and a congregation is consolidated (from 1902).
|Back to top of page|
My Sources for the Website
- plus some other books-
Some of the Books are :-
Historical Sketch of Tullibody -
Part 1- Robert Kirk - Clackmannan District Libraries 1983
Old Clackmannanshire - A.I.R Drummond
- Clackmannan District Libraries 1987
|AND.. other books which all True Scots should appreciate-
'Wallace' by Blind Harry - William Hamilton of Gilbertfield - The Luath press Edition 1988 - Luath Press Limited Edinburgh www.luath.co.uk ISBN 0-946487-43-X
'The Bruce' by John Barbour -Cannongate Classics an imprint of Cannongate Books Edinburgh ISBN 0 86241 681 7