Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
The Dream Machine
Chapter 21: Fudge

“Dr. Cain? You called me?” Dr. Cain stepped aside and gestured for Dr. Sky to enter his lab. “Is there something you need my help on?”

“Actually, yes!” Dr. Cain strolled over to one side of the lab pointed to three large boxes beside him. “You can help me read these.” For a moment the younger scientist was expressionless, then a smile formed on her face. She joined Dr. Cain next to the boxes and opened the top one. After a moment of counting the number of digital pads inside each box, she let out a sharp laugh.

“My god, there must be at least fifty of these things in each box.” She planted an elbow on one of the boxes and shook her head in disbelief. “What are these files on?” Dr. Cain lifted his cane and used it to point at the boxes.

“These are all the data files I have on the Zero Virus. I thought you might find them a fascinating read, if you can understand them, that is.”

Her smile widened. “It will be a challenge, but I’ll do my best.” She picked up a box, but let out a cough when she realized how heavy the boxes were. “Right now, I think my main problem is lifting the boxes themselves.”

“No worries!” Dr. Cain waived his index finger triumphantly in the air. “I can call X to come help you. He’s still not actually on duty, so he should have plenty of free time.” At the mention of X, Dr. Sky frowned slightly. Dr. Cain caught this and laughed. “Are you still worried about him?”

“I just…” She sighed, not able to really explain about her hatred for X without losing composure. “He’s…”

“Give him a chance!” Dr. Cain patted her on the shoulder. “He’s a good boy. Every hero is entitled to a little emotional breakdown once in awhile! Zero is a good guy, right?”

“Uh… yeah.” She raised an eyebrow, unsure of where the conversation is going. Now that she’s spent more time with the famed scientist, she’s found a stranger, wacky side of him that didn’t accompany all the coffee room talk about his great work.

“You can tell a lot about a man from his friends.” Cain got serious all of a sudden. Without further discussion, Dr. Cain picked up the intercom and called X to come to his lab. Sky thought heavily about what Cain said. The man is a scientific leader, that’s for sure, but he also seems to have a very good grasp about the people around him.

I guess he knows what he’s talking about. Dr. Sky thought to herself as she forced a smile and nodded towards X when he arrived. I don’t want to offend him by blatantly disregarding his advice.

“Where do you want these moved to?” X asked, hesitating slightly before approaching the two scientists.

Oh dear god… is he afraid of me? Dr. Sky winced mentally. “I just need them moved to my room, thanks.” Guilt trip! Guilt trip! “I’ll finish reading these by next week, Dr. Cain.” She waved goodbye to the older scientist.

“Yes, then we can finally do some serious talking about this matter!” The older man chortled, causing Dr. Sky to wonder what the older man thought they had been talking about these last couple of days.

Silence hung in the air as X and Dr. Sky walked down the hallway. Dr. Sky stole several glances at X, who kept his eyes fixed directly ahead of him. He looked so different from before. Dr. Sky sighed. Maybe I should give him a chance.

“Say!” Dr. Sky announced brightly. “Why don’t I treat you and Zero to some ice cream this afternoon?” X’s eyes went wide for at the sudden outburst, and Sky’s chest tightened at the thought of X’s possible reaction. Her concern ended when X smiled and nodded.

“It’ll be a great chance for us to get to know each other outside of attempts at murdering each other.” X kept a slight smile on his face, and Sky stared blankly at him. They stared at each other this way for five seconds before both bursting into laughter.

“Okay! How about 3 o’clock, at the arboretum? I’ll bring the ice cream and ingredients.” She smiled, relieved that her invitation went well. “Feel free to bring your favorite topping.”

--------------------------------------

Zero got off his shift early that afternoon, having received Dr. Sky invitation earlier. He was relieved X was finally back at HQ, but he and Aya were both worried about how some of the other Hunters would treat X. Rumors about his actions spread throughout the hunters, sparked by the Committee hearing he called on Dr. Sky’s behalf and her accusations against the B Class Hunter. So far there were some inquisitive stares from the Hunters who did not know X, but he was most worried about how Dr. Sky would react to X’s return. He did try to kill her. Zero thought. I don’t expect them to become fast friends anytime soon.

So the invitation from Dr. Sky was a pleasant surprise. The invitation said that X was invited as well.

He arrived at the arboretum several minutes early, and found that X was already there. The arboretum was set up to preserve many of the plants that grew aboveground before the Eurasia incident. The area they were in had some of the more common plants, so Hunters could freely enter to enjoy the artificial surroundings.

“X!” Zero called out to his friend, running towards X.

“Zero!” X turned and smiled at the Red Hunter. “You’re early.”

“Yeah, I got off early. I’m surprised that you and Dr. Sky made up so quickly.” Zero looked around, found a dry patch of grass and sat down.

“I was surprised, too.” X sat down next to Zero, tilting his head in thought. “She just suddenly said she was inviting us to ice cream. Out of nowhere.” He noticed Zero holding a paper bag in his hand. “What’d you bring?”

“Oh, this?” Zero switched hands holding the bag and opened it to show X. “Sky said to bring our favorite toppings, so I brought sprinkles. What did you bring?”

“Hot fudge.” X reached for a nearby thermos and handed it to Zero.

“Hey Zero, X.” Dr. Sky called out from the entrance of the arboretum. Okay, now just relax when you’re with X. She thought to herself, still feeling a little strange about suddenly being so casual around X. “I brought the ice cream! Come on over to the picnic table!” She started setting up the ice cream, bowls, and utensils while the hunters set down their contributions beside the ice cream. “Did you just get off your shift, Zero?”

“Yep.” Zero reached for the scooper and opened up one of the cartons of ice cream. “Chef Zero is now at your service.” He bowed exaggeratingly and then began to scoop some vanilla ice cream. “Madame, what would you like on your bowl? We have Hot Fudge, sprinkles, and..” Zero looked over at the topping Dr. Sky brought. “Chocolate chips.”

“I would like just some chocolate chips, thank you, Chef Zero.” She picked up a nearby spoon.

“Are you sure you don’t want to try some hot fudge?” X asked, sounding slightly disappointed. “I made it myself.”

“That’s okay. Hot fudge isn’t exactly my favorite.” She accepted the bowl from Zero and poked at the ice cream. “Sorry.”

“Alright X.” Zero seemed to have acquired a French accent now. “What would you like on your ice cream?” X laughed at Zero’s new accent, and chose to have a hearty dose of hot fudge on his ice cream. For himself, Zero made a bowl with everything on it. The three of them finished their ice cream as X and Zero told stories about each other.

“So this is why I am never riding a hover bike behind Zero, ever again.” X chuckled as Zero stared annoyingly at the blue hunter. Dr. Sky laughed and patted Zero’s hair.

“I know I wouldn’t want to get a mouthful of his hair, either.” She laughed. It’s nice, seeing Zero and X being friends instead of enemies.

“I have to go!” Zero got up and started jogging towards the door. “I’m already late for this meeting with my team! Sorry to leave you both to clean up!”

“That’s so like him.” X shook his head as Zero ran out the door. “Always running off and leaving everyone else to clean up after a party.” X scooped the last bit of fudge left in his bowl and ate it, while his eyes lingered thoughtfully at the thermos he brought. “Why don’t you like hot fudge, anyway?”

“Huh?” Sky tensed up in her chair, suddenly realizing she would have to talk to X alone again. “No reason. It just tastes weird to me.”

“But you like chocolate chip, and that tastes practically like hot fudge.”

Dr. Sky looked at X, amazed at the expression on his face. If I didn’t know better, I would think that he’s challenging me to a fight or something. She set down her bowl and glared back at X.

“Should I list the chemical difference between chocolate and hot fudge for you?” Dr. Sky got up and leaned on the table, looking smugly across the picnic table at X.

“I didn’t say they weren’t chemically different.” X rolled his eyes. “All I said was that they tasted the same.”

“They do not taste the same.” She laughed lightly. “First off, in the preparation for Hot Fudge, you add heavy cream, vanilla, water, and corn syrup to unsweetened and semi sweet chocolate. Then you--” Before she could finish rattling off the preparation instructions, X suddenly got up and kissed Dr. Sky on the lips. Frozen from the shock, she continued to stare wide-eyed at X as pulled his lips back.

“Doesn’t that taste the same as chocolate?” X smiled, blushing slightly as he looked mischievously at the young scientist. It took a moment for Dr. Sky to realize that X had kissed her to make a point in their argument about hot fudge and chocolate chips. Her face flushed with embarrassment, and she rushed out of the door, thinking about the thousands of ways to dismantle a Reploid as she ran.

Finally she found a bathroom and rushed to a mirror. Her face was still red from the running and the embarrassment. “OH! I’m going to make him sorry for embarrassing me like that!” She growled angrily as she kicked the nearby heater. “How DARE he embarrass me like that!”

Then again. She thought to herself as she pulled a paper towel from the dispenser. He’s not a bad kisser… She daydreamed for a moment about the boyish look X gave her right after the kiss, before hitting herself over the head. “What the heck are you thinking? Just yesterday you hated him!” The water came on when she moved her hands underneath the faucet. Gently she scrubbed the hot fudge off her face with the wet towel.

A sudden noise behind her caused her to jump. In the mirror, she saw Aya standing behind her. “Oh, sheesh, Aya, you scared me.” She pulled another paper towel to dry her hands. “So how’ve you been?” Dr. Sky turned around, but Aya just stared back expressionlessly at her. “Aya?”

The Hunter raised both arms and shoved Dr. Sky against the mirror, which shattered on impact. The violent sound of crashing glass pulsed through the room as Dr. Sky slid to the ground. By now, her vision was clouded, but she could still see the blurry outlines of Aya’s hands reaching down for her…

Damn. I should have been more careful. She was evil… after all.

Death’s fingertips closed in on her, then the world disappeared.


Previous - Next
Fan Fiction - Top