Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
The Dream Machine
Chapter 17: Promise

“So, you’re alleging that Commander Doyle is the same Reploid that murdered your parents, and is now a Maverick?”

Dr. Sky put down the glass of water she was drinking and eyed the committee nervously. After X left her at Dr. Light’s pod, Dr. Light provided her with some additional data that could be useful for attacking whatever is affecting X. Only hours after her return to Maverick Hunter HQ (via hijacking a careless Maverick’s motorbike), Zero pulled a couple of favors and scheduled an emergency meeting of the Internal Affairs Committee to review Doyle’s case again.

“Yes.” She said, causing several members of the committee to exchange skeptical glances. While Zero and Aya did not doubt her story, others did not feel the same way. She had no evidence except her own account.

“We recognize the fact that you were captured by a band of Mavericks at the coordinates you’ve provided,” One member of the committee spoke, “Since we have video evidence of that from Aya when she found you. However, you have provided us with no evidence of Doyle’s involvement with the Mavericks, and this committee has already reviewed the evidence at hand and cleared Doyle of any guilt.”

“When we sent a team to investigate the area,” another committee member joined in, “we found that the entire site had been destroyed and many Mavericks dead. Due to that fact, we could find little to no information regarding the specific identities of those involved with the base.”

Dr. Sky glanced back at Zero and Aya, who simply nodded at the committee member’s comments.

Destroyed?! She thought to herself. Was it X? Or was it Doyle?

“Upon your request and with the consent of Commander Doyle,” the committee member continued and nodded towards Doyle, who was seated in the audience, “we have conducted a Zero Virus and a Sigma Virus scan on the Commander, and the results were both negative. You have also suggested we do an internal ID scan of Commander Doyle to check his identity against Allison Sky, the Maverick positively identified as your parents’ murderer. Until you can provide more evidence, we have decided to decline this request, as that test would require us to take Commander Doyle offline for weeks.”

Dr. Sky nodded; she knew at this point saying anything would be wasting her breath.

“As for your allegations that Commander X is cooperating with Dr. Wily, due to lack of evidence, this committee cannot conclude that you are correct or incorrect.” The committee leader, seating in the center of the long table, clasped his hands together and leaned forwards. “Commander X has been an indispensable part of the Hunters since the very early days of our organization. We can only give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. We have seen your video evidence of his attack at your lab, but we have also reviewed the transcripts of your machine and he seems to be influenced by another… we will not make a move against him until we have further evidence.

“We have concluded that your life is in danger, most likely due to the Zero Virus case at hand. As you are a capable scientist yourself, we would like to invite you to stay at the Hunter’s HQ as our guest for the duration of the investigation and assist Dr. Cain. That way, we can keep you safe and you can help us with the investigation. It is of course, your choice.”

“Thank you.” Dr. Sky said softly. She was dejected that all her allegations were shot down. I should have gotten some evidence first! She scolded herself. “I will stay to help with the investigation.” She glanced back at Doyle, who smiled at her delightfully. He had either outsmarted her again, or had the good fortune that X destroyed his base at the most auspicious time. Since the location of her lab is public knowledge, she would not be safe there until either Doyle’s dead or she’s dead.

“This meeting is adjourned.”

-----------------------

Zero and Aya were both standing outside of the small auditorium as Dr. Sky made her out. Dr. Sky noticed Zero still had X’s Z-Saber in his hand. He must have been holding it ever since she gave it to him.

“Dr. Sky!” Zero walked towards her as she entered the command center at the HQ. Everyone in the room looked at her with a surprised expression, since her hair was a mess, and there was dirt on her face.. “What happened to you?” Before she said a word, she grasped Zero’s right hand and put X’s Z-Saber in his palm. “That’s… is he…”

“He’s fine. Well, he’s alive. He asked me to give that to you, and to tell you that he’s sorry.”


“That went beautifully didn’t it?” Dr. Sky shrugged. Aya smiled at the comment, but Zero still stared straight at the ground. She didn’t blame him for not being talkative. Aside from setting up the details of the committee hearing, he hadn’t said a word since she told him about X.

“You must be tired.” Aya draped an arm over Dr. Sky’s shoulder. “Why don’t you go back to your quarters and get some rest.”

“I think I’ll take you up on that offer.” She followed Aya’s lead and started to walk down the hallway.

“Dr. Sky.” Zero finally looked up and caught up with the scientist. She saw that he was gripping the Z-Saber tightly. “I don’t think X is really cooperating with Wily.” The look in his eyes was unmistakable. He wanted assurance that his worst fears weren’t true, that his best friend and his enemy weren’t working together.

“I know, Zero.” Dr. Sky sounded tired.

“Then why did you just accuse him of working with Wily?” His teeth were clenched so tightly that he was shaking all over.

“Come on, Zero.” Aya glanced at both Zero and Dr. Sky, slightly concerned. “We can talk about this in the morning, can’t we?”

“No,” Dr. Sky took a breath and steeled her resolve, “we should clear this now. I don’t know X as long as you have, Zero, so I can’t afford the benefit of the doubt you give to X. All I know is what he said to me. There is always the possibility that Wily is somehow still tricking X, but you have to prepare yourself for what he’s capable of—”

“He’s innocent. I know it!” Zero insisted, and leaned in further, trying to intimidate the correct answer out of her. While she was angry at him for trying that, she also knew yelling at him would do as much good as arguing against the committee.

“All I’m saying is that you should consider the possibility that he would kill you now and regret it later.” She replied softly. “He could be your best friend…but people change.”

“Wait, Zero! I-I'm serious!” X’s voice rang in Zero’s head. “Zero... if... if I become a Maverick, you have to take care of me.”

“I know it.” Zero insisted, before turning away and marching angrily down the hallway.

“Promise me, Zero.”
Author’s Notes: Hi! This is your delirious author speaking ^_^ Hope you like the fic so far. Sorry I haven’t said much, but I wasn’t sure where I was supposed to put comments since I sort of didn’t want to put them in the fic, but don’t want to add additional “chapters” or to put a review on my own story. Well, here is it anyway. To those who commented, thank you ^_^ If you want to read my comments on each chapter as I add them, please visit my homepage (when I update I put up some comments there. I usually try to avoid putting up comments inside the stories themselves.). If you do find inconsistencies with the main X storyline, please do point them out to me via e-mail or on the reviews page, because this time I’m trying to write as accurate of a fic to the canon stuff as possible. No, this will not be a death fic. I just die every time I read a death fic, or the ones that are too depressing, so you know that even through all the depression during the fic, I will not end this with super depression… but it won’t be a sugar substitute ending either.

To those who have read through chapter 17… you have now finished Act 1 of the story! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!! These 17 Chapters (well, if you compress them into decent sized ones it’s only 8 chapters) make up the beginning of the story. The character cast is now set, so no new characters should, in theory, pop up. Can you believe all these chapters are just to set up the story? Phew. Next up, you should expect a new source of dilemma for X and Zero. (Those who don’t want to read a preview turn away now!) X discovers the mavericks have a weapon of mass destruction already completed and ready to use… he needs to go collect the key codes… meanwhile, he is still deciding whether or not to use the weapon to finish off the Reploids once in for all. Zero et all gets wind of this. He and Dr. Sky still disagree about X while Doyle lurks around all evil like and stuff. What side IS Aya on?! *_* and, honestly, does Wily have a simple minded plan or does he just want people to think he’s got a simple minded plan? Meow! Expect update next week. Thanks again!


Previous - Next
Fan Fiction - Top