Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
The Dream Machine
Chapter 11: Decision

“I appreciate Zero sending you over to help me, but really I’m fine. I might look like I over did the mummy motif, but I’m getting better.” Dr. Sky busily typed at the terminal of her lab’s main computers as the assistant bots buzzed around with printouts and electronic pads. Thick bandages were still wrapped around her head, but she no longer needed crutches to get around. “I’m sorry, what did you say your name was?”

“Aya.” The hunter smiled warmly. “From the 13th unit.” A darker smile appeared on Aya’s face as soon as the scientist turned around. This is going to be fun. She thought to herself. “Zero was very insistent that someone came to look after you. What are you working on anyway?”

“Just restoring some files that were deleted.” One of the assistant bots handed Dr. Sky some files. “Someone tried to delete them, but surly no one suspected how paranoid I am with backup files.” The screen to her right flickered to life, and a wide smile appeared on her face. “Got it!”

X was on the screen, standing upright but was unconscious. Dr. Sky drew a deep breath as the movie continued. A beam of blue light accompanied by shimmers appeared before X, who started to open his eyes. Bathed in the blue light was a heavyset man with a bushy white beard.

“Dr. Light?” X asked timidly. “What are you doing here? Where am I?”

“X, I’m sorry we only see each other in times of difficulty.” Dr. Light placed a hand on X’s shoulder. “I came to tell you about your memory.” X remained silent, so Dr. Light continued. “I was the one blocking your memory about Zero.”

“But… why?” Instead of looking surprised or angry, X seemed more curious. “Why would you do that?” Light lifted his hand off X’s shoulder and looked downwards, searching for the right words. Finally having them, he looked straight into X’s eyes.

“I couldn’t bear who you were becoming, X.” Light sighed. “Your memories of Zero were very painful ones. You were becoming angrier, more irrational, and a more spiteful person. I didn’t want to see that.”

“I don’t understand.” X looked slightly more concerned now. He searched his creator’s face for answers, but Light’s expression betrayed nothing.

“Your view of the world changed after you met Zero. Did you notice? I didn’t want that, so I decided with Zero’s death, it was a good time to rid you of your memories of him. I’d hoped that without those memories, you would be back to your old self.” Light shook his head, weighed down with deep regret. “However, I realize now I have no right to do that to you. It is your decision to make. After all, it is your life to lead. I am restoring your memories of Zero now.”

X staggered back a bit, and different scenes flashed across the screen.

One particular scene was of a horrified X looking over a maverick that was laying on the ground in two pieces. Zero was standing nearby with his back towards X, with the Z-Saber humming in his right hand. Small amounts of smoke was emanating from the dead maverick.

“Why did you turn your back on him, X?” Zero asked. “He was about to shoot you in the back.”

“I convinced him to come back to the lab with me.” X did not take his eyes off the dead maverick. “He…”

“Was lying.” Zero finished. “You’re too gullible, X.”

The screen cut to another scene, Zero had one of his hands around X’s throat, a wild look in his eyes. “Allow me to finish off your miserable career.” Zero’s voice echoed.

Another scene appeared on the screen, again with Zero and X.

“It’s not use.” X shook his head. “I’m no match for Vile. I’m too weak to do anything.”

“You just need to get used to the war.” Zero said as he helped X up. “You’re still too soft, you know that?”

Now X was by himself, lying on the ground, heavily damaged from battle. His matted hair, which was poking out from under his cracked helmet, partially covered one of his eyes. His armor was covered with dents and scratches. Several exposed wires from underneath his armor cracked with electricity. Around him were flames and bodies of several Reploids. Zero’s laid nearby, broken into several pieces. To his other side were the remains of Sigma. X looked desperately around, but seemed helpless to do anything else.

The scene flashed back to Dr. Light and X. The hunter took several steps away from Light, and started at the scientist with disbelieving eyes.

“You were becoming more like Zero… and even worse than him.” Light frowned. “I couldn’t agree with what you were…about to do.”

“About… to… do….?”

Light simply nodded. “I don’t have a right to stop you. In many ways _I_ was the source of this problem to begin with. As your creator, I will stand by you, no matter you become… because you’re more than a mere creation.”

X seemed to understand now, and he wiped the shocked expression off his face. His features hardened. He closed his eyes and nodded. “I know now.” X slowly opened his eyes, his stare completely different than just moments before. “I’m sorry you disagree with me, but I have to fix this.”

“I will… help you.” Light said reluctantly. “Perhaps you are right.”

The screen went dark.

“What was that?” Aya asked.

“Something very, very bad…” Sky shook her head. “Now I don’t know what’s going on at all… I was so sure Wily was behind tricking X, but there’s no way to be sure if that was really Light talking.”

“Is this why Commander X...” Aya trailed off.

“Probably.” Dr. Sky shuddered. Sky did not know what exactly X had planned, but it was probably bad news if he thought killing her was part of it.

--------------------------

It did not take long for Zero to find X. Alia reported that one of the un-numbered areas near Cove-15 was under heavy fire. Zero arrived to see X, who was watching the building being eaten by flames. X’s expression was unrecognizable to Zero. He was staring at the flames like it was the vilest thing in all the worlds.

“X!” Zero shouted out to the blue hunter, who did not seem surprised. X turned and greeted Zero.

“Zero, you’ve come to see this, too?”

“What are you doing?” Zero was weary of X, but the blue hunter did not look like he was going to attack.

“This is a maverick base. I came to clean house.” X’s eyes challenged Zero. “Are you here to stop me?”

“Did you just kill everyone?” Zero looked around. No one came running from the building, but he was sure a place like this was habited.

“Yes.” X replied simply. “There’s no reason to rehabilitate mavericks.”

“What?!” Zero couldn’t believe those words were coming out of X’s mouth. X was the champion of giving second chances, always granting the benefit of the doubt even to those who don’t deserve it. Zero was the one who felt no wrong about just killing mavericks. He wasn’t sorry if the ones who just died were Mavericks, what was wrong is that X’s sudden change of attitude.

X suddenly looked very sad, but forced a smile on his face. “All Reploids must die.”

“All Reploids must die?” Zero repeated. “You can’t possibly mean…”

“Yes, Zero. All Reploids. Mavericks, Hunters, everyone. What is the source of all this?” X motioned towards the flames. “Reploids. Light made a mistake. He should never have built me. Every Reploid built from my schematics are consequences of Light’s mistake. Now it’s my job to correct these mistakes.”

“What about Dr. Sky? You killed her, too. How does she fit in the master plan?”

“All scientists with knowledge about Reploids must also be disposed of.” X closed his eyes. “It’s the only way to ensure this will never happen again.”

“Listen to yourself.” Zero shook his head. “What happened to you?”

“Nothing happened to me, Zero.” X said in an annoyed tone. “I always knew what the source of the problem was. My naive self just didn’t want to believe it was true.” X started to walk away from Zero. “For now I’m only going after Mavericks, but…” He paused and looked at Zero again. “...anyone who gets in my way is next on the list.” With that, X teleported out.


Previous - Next
Fan Fiction - Top