10 Tips for Getting Started
1. Start with the basics - work your puppets
correctly. Remember puppet height, eye contact with audience, and lip synch.
2. Practice, practice, practice.
3. Record your scripts to let new puppeteers
concentrate on their puppetry skills.
4. Choose your scripts carefully ó scripts
need to match your puppets, voices, and skill levels of your team members.
5. When using scripts from other sources,
first evaluate the doctrine. Does the script teach Law and Gospel correctly?
Does it emphasize what God did for us or what we have to do for God or to
come to God?
6. Add variety or length to your performances
by adapting Christian songs or Bible stories for performance by your
7. The volume of your puppeteers needs to
communicate to the entire audience. If your team canít provide the volume,
investigate recording the scripts or using micro phones.
8. Add rod-arm techniques and motions to bring
your puppets to life.
9. Scenery, costumes, and props enhance your
10. Take good care of your puppets. Use
puppet stands to keep valuable puppets off the floor. Purchase large plastic
storage containers to keep puppets dry and safe.
Keep a notebook for ideas and
those skit, script, design ideas before
they escape forever.