On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
- - - - - The Cardinals of old have always had a nasty habit of throwing away at least one winnable game each season, regardless of the records. Last Sunday, as if right on cue, Arizona found itself back in its old form, against our nemesis Carolina, losing 34-10 in a game that wasn't even that close.
- - - - - While the Cardinals can name any of a dozen excuses for the lopsided loss, I feel the blame should land firmly on arrogance. The coaching staff, flush from a victory utilizing backup QB McCoy, felt they could squeeze out one more win riding Colt. Then faced with a 7-0 early deficit, a baffling play call on fourth and a long one essentially put the game out of reach. Even Streveler couldn't salvage this one down the stretch.
- - - - - Defensively, the Cardinals appeared unprepared, perhaps a consequence of a week with limited practices due to the numerous injuries. Nonetheless, fresh legs seemed of little avail, and covering up a lack of speed with poor tackling seemed a fruitless strategy. Of course, the narrative followed the return and resurgence of Cam Newton (inserted on a handful of well-timed plays where anyone's reanimated corpse could have scored); this was hardly fair to his teammates who truly deserved the credit for the dominating performance.
NEXT WEEK, @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: The Cardinals return to the road where the record has been kind, to face a team struggling to remain relevant in the playoff picture. The 5-5 Carolina Panthers currently hold the NFC's final wild card spot, meaning those squads like Seattle with six already in the loss column aren't quite out of it yet. A win by the Cardinals would even the all-time series with Seattle (Cardinals currently trail 21-22-1) and put the team on the brink of clinching tie-breakers against the Rams should we need that later on. My prediction, Cards win, 19-17.
TWENTY-SIXTH SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 26th season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my 26th-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.